Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 9:23:04 PM EDT
Have you guys been watching this?

These shows are incredible!

My level of respect for the men who fought in the Pacific is through the roof. I can't comprehend the brutality of these battles, or the bravery of the men who fought them.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I was watching the episode on Guam and the recapture of the Marine barricks. I had 4 uncles who fought in the Pacific. I wish I could have heard some more of their stories.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad spent all of WWII in the Pacific.  He was at Pearl, December 7th and they got some shots in.

Never said a damn thing about any of it but did mention his ship, so I was able to track down its battle record.

All too typical of vets of that era.  Did what needed to be done, came home and never said a word about.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn right.  They showed what you've got to do to deal with men who will fight to the death and will even commit suicide to advance their cause.

My Uncle Garland fought on Guadalcanal and Okinawa with the 1st Marine Division.  Missed Peleliu because of dysentery, and we swore that's why he survied the war.  He died back in 2001.

A great man...

We need more of those men now.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My dad spent all of WWII in the Pacific.  He was at Pearl, December 7th and they got some shots in.

Never said a damn thing about any of it but did mention his ship, so I was able to track down its battle record.

All too typical of vets of that era.  Did what needed to be done, came home and never said a word about.

My Grandfather flew P-47s in the Pacific for the Army towards the end of the war. His job was to take out AAA in preparation for the heavy bombing missions. He never said much about it either, but I know that the Japanese used to put their batteries on top of schools and hospitals.

I'm sure that my Grandfather had to do some pretty horrible things for this nation (as was his duty). That's part of my respect for these men. After everything that they did and saw they were able to come home and function as men in civil society. It's just amazing to me.

ETA - One story that my Grandfather did tell was that he was returning from a mission (unrelated) over Japan when they dropped the bomb on Nagasaki. He saw the mushroom cloud.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
These are good shows. I appreciate all that they did and accomplished for total victory. One observation- have you noticed in other/older documentaries that almost all the veterans will say how war is terrible, sorry they had to participate, hope there is no other war, shouldn't be no more wars, etc? I mean, anyone with common sense knows this already.  In this series you have groups of veterans who aren't sorry (or at least not overexpressing it) for killing the enemy and so forth. They're telling how they really felt at the time and it seems that time has not changed their opinions.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched the Guam and Okinawa shows.  Thought they were pretty good.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
These shows are incredible!

They REALLY are!!

Excellent viewing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top