Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 8:07:13 PM EDT
Just bought the Pilot episode/movie and first ten episodes on DVD. Pretty good stuff. The pilot movie was as good a television movie as I've ever seen. Not bad for 1976. The actual episodes aren't quite as good as the pilot, but that's expected. Some interesting notes:

Many of the people behind this television series were also a part of Magnum, P.I. and J.A.G.

Not surprisingly, quite a few actors starred in all three series as well, including three actors who had roles in the three different series. I'll have to match up the names later, but two of them from Magnum included "Rick" (Larry Manetti) and "Mac" (Jeff Mackay). The third actor played bit parts in Magnum and I haven't matched his name yet, but he was in all three series as well.

The guy who played the pilot of the crashed glider in "Saving Private Ryan" was also in the first episode of BBBS.

The actor who played General Moore on BBBS also starred in "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen. This actor died in 1983. I'll match his name later.

John Larroquette is also in BBBS.

ETA: Some Colonel dude (actor's name is Lance LeGault)  from The A-Team and Magnum was also in the pilot movie of BBBS.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Real Corsairs and real Zeros.   That series was a winner from the first day on.  The acting was decent, plenty of  action and even a few cute Navy nurses.  Whats not to like?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The pilot and the first season was good. It went down hill fast though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the Corsairs were VERY real, as was alot of the live-action. They really got F-4Us and pilots to fly them for this series.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The pilot and the first season was good. It went down hill fast though.

I just watched the pilot (you saw my review above) and the first actual episode. The pilot was outstanding and the first episode was decent. Not bad for television programming.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The common thread in the series mentioned is the Executive Producer, Donald P. Bellisario.  Quantum Leap was another of his projects as well as numerous others.  Check out Google for a complete list.

The "location" shots for Black Sheep were done at Indian Dunes out by Magic Mountain in Valencia California.  There is an ajoining airstrip that was actually used for the actual flying scenes.  All of the over water shots were done around the Channel Islands off Ventura and Santa Barbara.

As a 12 year old WW2 FANATIC, I spent countless hours going out to watch the filming every chance I got.  It was a blast!  I actually got to meet the real Greg Boyington there.  He did an appearance in an episode.  It was a remarkable experience.  

You haven't lived until you see up close 3 or 4 Corsairs turning up their R2800's on the flight line and taking off within 30 seconds of eachother!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You haven't lived until you see up close 3 or 4 Corsairs turning up their R2800's on the flight line and taking off within 30 seconds of each other!

YOU, YOU, You make me seeeeth with jealousy.  That would be a flippin sweet sound and that sounds like it was a great experience.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
real Zeros

www.imdb.com/title/tt0073961/trivia

More than likely left over modified AT-6 Texans from Tora, Tora, Tora. If you have not seen the CAF's Tora act you have missed one of the best airshow acts in America.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I loved that series as a kid.  Too bad they used the same combat footage over and over again (in the middle of the show, not in the show's opening).
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
You know the Blacksheep Squadron still exists, They fly Harriers now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I LOVED WATCHING THAT SHOW!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you have not seen the CAF's Tora act you have missed one of the best airshow acts in America.

+1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Loved that show when I was a kid.  I remember practically having to beg my parents to let me stay up and watch it.

I read Boyingtons book about his war experience and being a POW it was good.

The show went down hill really bad when it was renamed Black Sheep Squadron.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#14]
"Oh Borington.....Borington....come out to plaaaayyyyy.  Oh Booorington????"

"Is that you Riceball?"

"Hey Borington, how nice for roo to join me.  How come roo won't come up here and fight me?"

"I'll see you in the slot in one hour.  OK with you Riceball?"
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#15]
double opps.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:26:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:
"Oh Borington.....Borington....come out to plaaaayyyyy.  Oh Booorington????"

"Is that you Riceball?"

"Hey Borington, how nice for roo to join me.  How come roo won't come up here and fight me?"

"I'll see you in the slot in one hour.  OK with you Riceball?"

LOL

yeah  anyone see the one where they both  were stuck together after they both shot each otherd down or  some shit!

usedto watch it as much as i could when i was lil,, that and RAT patrol]

better yet was the crew sgt. all the time.

"' HEY college boy......."
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The common thread in the series mentioned is the Executive Producer, Donald P. Bellisario.  Quantum Leap was another of his projects as well as numerous others.

Chas. Floyd Johnson was in on all those projects/series as well.

Stephen J. Cannell did Baa Baa Black Sheep.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Oh man I loved that show when I was a kid. Remember Red West played the part of the old grizzled airplane mechanic? He was great in whatever he was in. I met him once at a funeral several years ago when I was working for a funeral home. He was a really nice guy. I would have asked for a photo together had it not been at a funeral.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As in VMF 214 ????  I didn't even have to look it up
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Red West -who played the grizzled yet loveable mechanic Sgt. Andy Micklin lives a mere stones throw from my home (short walking distance). Nice guy Ive been told. He was also in the Memphis Mafia back in the day.

TCB
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes, as exec producer but Bellisario was assoc. producer of the pilot.  I think Bellisario also directed several of the later episodes.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm gald I was too young to over analize that show, like I did
with "Tour of Duty".

I remember it as a great show.

That's why I won't buy the DVDs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm gald I was too young to over analize that show, like I did
with "Tour of Duty".

I remember it as a great show.

That's why I won't buy the DVDs.

Actually, the pilot (2hr movie) was *better* than I remembered it.

It was really, really good.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I loved the show. It did however cause a HUGE rift between the actual 214 pilots and Boyington. A lot of them never did forgive him for being "technical director" of the series because it portrayed them as being a bunch of misfits and semi-criminals.

That Corsair print I have that is signed by 12 of the 214 pilots would have been signed by him as well, but some refused to be at the same place as him for the signing  

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#25]
With what outfit did Boyington get his first kills ???????
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Boyington's first kills were while he was a pilot in the American Volunteer Group (AVG)  aka The Flying Tigers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Got it earlier this year. One of my favorite DVD sets.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Boyington's first kills were while he was a pilot in the American Volunteer Group (AVG)  aka The Flying Tigers.

+1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Correct!...Now what type aircraft did he fly as a Flying Tiger?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#30]
P-40

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually its VMA-214 now. My Brother is in the squadron. I actually got to see the outside of the building.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually its VMA-214 now. My Brother is in the squadron. I actually got to see the outside of the building.

I guess the Brits are the only ones using Harriers for CAP.  They kicked the Argies' ass with them......well with the American made sidewinders anyway.  Actually the Argentine Navy and Air Force attack pilots fought and died bravely.   One Brit pilot got 4 or 4.5 kills.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Red West -who played the grizzled yet loveable mechanic Sgt. Andy Micklin lives a mere stones throw from my home (short walking distance). Nice guy Ive been told. He was also in the Memphis Mafia back in the day.

TCB

He was The Kings bodyguard. They fell out over Elvis' drug addiction.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Some years ago I was driving along I-20 and saw a small rural airport.  Through open hanger doors  the distinctive "gull wing" shape jumped out and hit me square in the eyeball.  What the hell was that???  No, can't be!  I jammed on the brakes and looked... yep, a navy blue Corsair, and what looked to be rockets under the wing.

I pulled off, found my way to the airport, and found out that it was one of just a handful of Corsairs still flying.  AND it was one of the Corsairs used in Ba Ba Black Sheep.  It was flown by the pilot who owned it.

Man, what I would have given for a camera!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Chas. Floyd Johnson was in on all those projects/series as well.

He was the creator of Rockford Files.  And a pretty conservative guy.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I know a man who was an armorer for the AVG and Boyington is one of the pilots he will not talk about.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Okay guys a point here. They are not pilots. They are aviators. Aviators are better then pilots. I know, my daddy was a Naval Aviator.

25Oct44 (Dad is far right back row)

He actually met Boyington once. He thought Boyingrton was an arrogant jerk, but a good aviator. Even if he was a Marine......
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#39]
worst
show
ever!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I grew up in a little town called Caynon Country CALF. ( just down the street from valencia) Kinda like the other guy who posted, I enjoyed going to the movie sets with my grandfather.. I have many pics of  the corsairs and actors. autographs etc
A few points from memory,
there were only 4(maybe 5 but I think 4) actual flying f4u's (some of them werent even F4's they were retro fitted F5's) at the time, there were two other half mock ups and half real corsairs on the set. that is why all of the "Peel Off"  flying sceans are the same four corsairs over and over and over... one of the originals 4 or 5 crashed early in filliming and was used for the on ground shots,(Sat in that one many times pretty cool)
there was only one "real" mitsubishi zero and it was only filmed one time, repeat shots over the series were just differnt angles of that one filming.
All of the other zero's were AT6 texans or SNJ5's that were modified to look like zeros, there is a flying group that still flys them out of VAN NUYS airport (cant remember there name).
My grandfather owened and flew the "Piper Cub" or L4 also known as a O-59 grasshopper. that was used in several sceans..
The DC that was in the film would Load up once and awhile with crew and such and fly along with the corsairs, did that once it was memroable to say least.
Robert Conrad was a pretty cool guy, I remember he was not much taller than I was and I was young
I think the coolest guy of all was actually John Laroquette(?) he liked to do pranks and was just a nice guy to the kids. I have one of the flying Caps that he wore while filming and a set of marine wings (cant remember who they came fom, I think the guy that played Rick on magnum..
I dont have a way to get pics scanned yet but I will be happy to try.

REM
sorry spell and grammer nazi I am at work and typing fast.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

TCB

Move it, College Boy!  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought the disc set, and now I can't find the discs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The guy who played the pilot of the crashed glider in "Saving Private Ryan" was also in the first episode of BBBS.

I was pretty sure he was too young to be in that TV series, so I took a look and sure enough he wasn't in it.

www.imdb.com/name/nm0650702/

Sorry I don't have anything more constructive to add.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Boyington is a somewhat contoversial character.  He quit the AVG 3 months before his yearlong contract was up, and in return Chennault dishorably discharged him.  His claim to have destroyed 6 enemy aircraft while there has been discredited.

Of course, he did good work with his squadron in the Pacific, but did he deserve the MOH?

I was only a kid when the show was on, and I loved it, too (but let's admit that it was pretty cornball.
Remember "Pappy's Lambs"?  LOL!)

I took this picture last weekend at the NASM Annex at Dulles Airport, VA.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

TCB

Yea saw some old clip where he and Elvis were sparring with karate gees on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was pretty sure he was too young to be in that TV series, so I took a look and sure enough he wasn't in it.

www.imdb.com/name/nm0650702/

Sorry I don't have anything more constructive to add.

No kidding. Hmmm. Whoever it was, he looked just like that guy in SPR. I did the math, and if the guy in BBBS was 20 years old (in 1976), in 1998 he would have been 42.

You sure?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#48]
One of my favorite shows when I was growing up.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Of course, he did good work with his squadron in the Pacific, but did he deserve the MOH?

Actually, Boyington's CMOH was originally awarded posthumously.  It was only later it was learned that he was alive and a POW.  If they had known he was alive, I doubt he would have been awarded the medal.  There were many, many other pilots with even more impressive records that did not receive this honor.

The real controversy surrounds Boyington's title as the Marine with the most combat victories (28).  Many "purists" have always given that title to Gov. Joe Foss.  He had 26 kills and all of them were while wearing a Marine uniform.  Foss was also awarded the CMOH.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top