Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 7:21:46 PM EDT
I am worried about my cat!!!!  He was puking this morning, then stopped all day.  He has just started up again, (some 12-13 hrs. later) vomiting solid-ish food.  

He has only eaten his regular food, and had nothing but water to drink.  We don't have any house plants that he could have gnawed on.  He hasn't gotten into the trash, and he hasn't been outside.  Except for the occasional pause to puke, he is behaving normally.  He is still running around, playing, napping... all the normal kitty stuff.

Any thoughts?  Anything I can do to help calm his tummy?

*PLEASE:  If you don't have anything kind or helpful to say, don't post in this thread.*
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
any blood or worms in the vomit?

might just want to observe and see if it will pass

have you sprayed any insecticide lately?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
First you need a speculum and then you............oops wrong kind of cat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes cats can eat somethin that disagrees with him, they find all sorts of weird shit...

Any hair in the puke?

Just keep an eye on him, and call the vet in the morning if he continues to puke.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
are you feeding with diamond food there was a recall i saw on cnn today?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
any blood or worms in the vomit?nothing but food

might just want to observe and see if it will passhow long? he is still eating and drinking

have you sprayed any insecticide lately?nope

LOL ARDOC, wrong kitty!  And besides that, he's a BOY kitty!  LOL Take your speculum and move along, young man!

No, no hair, and no Diamond food...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

<--- not a vet but has had been owned by a few cats.
Probably a hairball.
Otar's fix: a small finger tip of butter. (the real stuff) Get the cat to eat the butter. I usually just wipe it on their nose. They will lick it off.
Repeat as nessary.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
otar, should I do that tonight?  Or wait to see if he is still having problems in the morning?

(He is shedding a lot right now...)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<--- not a vet but has had been owned by a few cats.
Probably a hairball.
Otar's fix: a small finger tip of butter. (the real stuff) Get the cat to eat the butter. I usually just wipe it on their nose. They will lick it off.
Repeat as nessary.

Wipe that butter on the top of the front paws . . . they can get to it better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
otar, should I do that tonight?  Or wait to see if he is still having problems in the morning?

Go ahead and do it tonight. Also tomorrow morning, and night.
I normally will do them up 2x/day for 3 days, then 1x for the next 3 days.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wipe that butter on the top of the front paws . . . they can get to it better.

That takes all the fun out of watching them try to get at the butter.
Getting them to lick it as apposed to eating the stuff seems to work better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
The kitty has been buttered.... I hope this works!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Otar has it right... if your cat is shedding I will bet that is the problem.. As long as your cat is eating drinking and playing,,,, all will be fine... keep us posted.

BTW... where have you been? You havent been on as much.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
BTW... where have you been? You havent been on as much.

They were taunting you with so many horrible spider pics that I got scared to come on...

Seriously, I was wrapping up one job, gettig ready to start a new one, made a quick trip to MD and PA to see family...
Oh, and I've been
here
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Oh man! This thread is getting better and better!

Hot buttered kitty!

Why does the butter thing work? Cats can't eat butter w/o yakking, or the butter just helps thing....uhhhhhh......lube up?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Butter???

How about a tube of something like this instead:

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]
My father was a vet and I grew up in the animal hospital (mother was the receptionist).  He recomended vaseline for hair balls.  The stuff in the tubes for hair balls used to be vaseline with some flavoring and vitamins  added.  Could your cat have gotten and swallowed a string or thread from your sewing?  We X-rayed some cats and found needle and threads in them when owners had some of their sewing stuff missing.  This can cause an intussusception or intestional telescoping when the intestines try to pull the thread through.  The period of time that your cat has been throwing up and being active sort of eleminates this because it would have to be addressed immediately as this is deadly because the intestine strangulates itself.  The hair ball thing does seem the most likely  reason for the vomiting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Are you combing out all the extra hair?  If it's not there for him to swallow.  This is a common problem for bunnies who are shedding.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
He seems to be fine today!!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I tink I'm in LUV!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Butter???

How about a tube of something like this instead:

www.geocities.com/RainForest/4495/hairball.jpg

I imagine something like that would taste terrible on toast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top