Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 4:10:41 PM EDT
Why is it that after I install quicktime, windows no longer follows the preferences and settings in the registry for file types? e.g. what program opens what file type, or whether to open or save links to files quicktime can open. Now whenever I click a link to an audio or video file, IE tries to download it and open it with the quicktime plugin, even though every setting is set to make it ask where to download the file to. I hate it when programs fuck you over and go around your settings with no way to fix it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
So use quicktime alternative.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why is it that after I install quicktime, windows no longer follows the preferences and settings in the registry for file types? e.g. what program opens what file type, or whether to open or save links to files quicktime can open. Now whenever I click a link to an audio or video file, IE tries to download it and open it with the quicktime plugin, even though every setting is set to make it ask where to download the file to. I hate it when programs fuck you over and go around your settings with no way to fix it.

Sounds like user error. I have never had that happen. Did you just click past the option where it asks what you want it to play, if anything?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
the answer to this is too complicated.

remove qttask.exe from startup (munge registry). you need to do this. if you installed qt you now have a nice application that keeps things arranged as they should be (according to QT). i hate QT. I have iTunes and it installs QT. But in now how to tame these wrascally parasites..

when you installed it it decided it would be the queen of all media. almost all apps that do multi media try to hijack the defualts for all media files.

you must be vigilant.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quicktime, march!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Never seem to have that problem with OS X.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Check your "Control Panel". There should be an icon for Quicktime so you can set the file associations
(or did I misread something and that's what you're complaining about?).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Check your "Control Panel". There should be an icon for Quicktime so you can set the file associations
(or did I misread something and that's what you're complaining about?).

unless he deals with qttask.exe it wont matter..
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I second hating quicktime

damn plugin never works.... same thing for qt alternative *grumble*
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So use quicktime alternative.

+1

Get the regular shit outa there and install Alternative.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I second hating quicktime

damn plugin never works.... same thing for qt alternative *grumble*

I third that.

It works, but it always installs so much other crap, changes your media preferences even when you tell it not to in the installshield, and imbeds itself in your system like a bad hangnail.

Quicktime is the DEBBIL!  

I have no use for it. If a clip is only in QT, it's not that good anyway.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like user error.

agreed.    you didn't read the prompts when you were installing it.   you changed the file associations.  the easiest way to fix it is to uninstall quicktime and reinstall.    or just not use mac products    
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I like to think of quicktime being like herpes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont forget realtime alternative while your at it
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Qicktime and realpayler suck the fat one
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuck Quicktime. I had the same problems and removed it from my machine a couple days ago. User error my ass.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quicktime always pissed me off, too.  You'd tell it NOT to play anything but .mov.. and what does it do when you click on a link to an MPEG, or AVI movie?  Fucking quicktime pops up and plays it.  ARGH!!!

My digicam takes video in .mov format.  Pisses me off, but I found that the Quicktime Alternative works well.  Install it, and it basically adds a codec for Media Player.   Works pretty good.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Fuck Quicktime. I had the same problems and removed it from my machine a couple days ago. User error my ass.

yup,  i installed "quicktime with itunes" on a customers computer.    it completly screwed up the system.   plus you couldn't even open itunes.  it kept giving random error messages.  I ended up having to do a fresh install
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#18]
ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Done*

F^&K !!!  G&^ D*^% Thing changed all my file associations !  
And they wonder why
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Qicktime and realpayler suck the fat one

So does your typing   hehe
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Click OK*

ignore prompts

*Done*

F^&K !!!  G&^ D*^% Thing changed all my file associations !  
And they wonder why

I pay attention to my installs, and my problem with Quicktime started well after it was installed. One day .mpg files just started playing in a new browser window in Quicktime.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top