Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2001 10:51:39 AM EDT
Howdy everyone, I'm new here and was just wondering what cal. to get my AR in. I am leaning towards .308 for pure stopping power. However I also realize if the proverbial crap hits the fan .223 ammo will most likely be far easier to get ahold of. I have shot both and liked both.

Also who makes the best AR for the money, I don't want or need match grade quality but I don't want junk either. I am looking to purchase come Jan or Feb so I have plenty of time to shop around.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I vote .223

the mags are easier to come by.
the ammo is pretty inexpensive.

BTW have you heard about the group buy in 2002. Rumor is that it will be a 20" DCM type AR15 Might want to hold out or that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

BTW have you heard about the group buy in 2002. Rumor is that it will be a 20" DCM type AR15 Might want to hold out or that.
View Quote

How does that work?? The group purchase I mean..

Just wondering I plan on getting a DCM next year..
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Group buy in 2002.. When? I am looking towards Jan or Feb but I can wait a little longer if necessary to get one even cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been exposed to the AR since 1978 for both work and pleasure. Used to own a SP1 ser 898XX. Sure miss it, but get to play a lot 'on the job'.

For a regular AR, I recommend the standard 508mm length in 5.56mm, bbl in 1/9 twist, so you got the best of both worlds when it comes to ammo (M193 & SS109).

However this is my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Group buy in 2002.. When? I am looking towards Jan or Feb but I can wait a little longer if necessary to get one even cheaper.
View Quote

Go here to get more info about the 2002 Group Purchase [url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=33523[/url].  Grin&Barret and AntiUssa own the web site that puts these things together at [url]http://www.castle-arms.com/[/url].

You can also see the 2001 LEGP rifle over there.  It is a River Rock Arms A3 flattop with a 16" M4 profile barreled upper for the low price of somewhere around $660!! {Easily worth $150-250 more from other manufactors!!)  They are still taking orders for the 2001 (I think??) till the end of August.  The reviews on the 2001 LEGP has been very possitive.

The first link I posted is were they are still getting peoples ideas on what features they may want on the 2002 Limited Edition Group Purchase, but it will be a 20" barrel for sure.

Grin&Barret and AntiUSSA are two very well respected old time members on this and have been completely up front with all of their business dealings.  I am not possitive, but I believe that you must send the money up front. Once they reach the minimum orders in, they then contact with the manufacture with their first group order.  It does take longer to get a rifle this way, but this way also saves lots of $$$ for you, the consumer.  They usually also have voluum discounting on related merchandise this way.

After the rifles are made and received, they are then sent to your local FFL, which you then pick it up yourself from there.

These rifles also have special AR15.com logos lazer engraved on the reciever.  And If you are lucky or ask nicely, they might even save a specific ss# just for you!!

It is worth checking out, and you can always e-mail them directly if you have more questions.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
As far as caliber goes I high recommend the .223.  Yes the .308 gives you more stopping power, but mags are twice as much compared to the .223mags.  Plus the rifles alone are usually $300-$400 more alone.  I have fired the .308 AR10 models that belonged to my friends.  They both stated that they do have slightly more problems with them then standard .223 AR15.

Another thing to think about is that with the .223 AR15 lower assembly, you can also install different pre-assembled uppers in valious calibers like 7.62x39,9MM,45ACP, and even 40 S&W!!!  And sinse the lower part has the serial number on it, buying any of these new uppers are just parts and require no 4473 form or background check!!!

An AR15 with a 20" 1/9 barrel where if used within 150 yards will get great velocity enought to produse the desired tumbling effect=fragmenting=stopping power.

Hope this help

sgtar15

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's some info on the 2002 LEGP rifle. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=34306[/url]

Here's the forum to ask your questions about em [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=60[/url]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#10]
One in .223 and one in .308, cover your bases.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an upper in 7.62x39 and I love it!!!!
Ammo's cheap, easy to find and you can hunt with it.  
Thanks
John
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#12]
The first AR style firearm I got, was an AR10A4 (.308) and I do love my Armalite.

But since then, have added 3 AR15's.

I would say get the AR15 first. Lots of mags available at reasonable prices. In your SHTF scenrio, .223 should be easier to get a hold of.

As far as, "who makes the best AR for the money", can't go wrong with, Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS.

Now for a plug, a good deal right now is the LEGP being offered by Castle-Arms, it's a "Rock River" and is very nice!
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to thank everyone for their replies. I have decided on getting a 223 first then when resources are together for another purchase a 308. Your comments have been most helpful.

About the LEGP purchase: Is there a firm date on when that is going to happen? Unfortunately I am looking at a small window of opportunity for purchase. If I don't get it when my tax money comes in my wife will try to find "other things" to spend it on! She's good at that! If I have a firm order date I can try to plan accordingly.

Thanks again for your input.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top