Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 2:11:44 PM EDT
I've got the 4 wire to make my 3 wire dryer plug into the 4 hole receptacle.  The guy at Lowes told me it's white to ground.  Red and green in the middle and somewhere else with the black.  That's all I can remember.  Is that close enough or am I going to die within 10 minutes?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Red and black are HOT wires.

Green is ground and the white is a neutrel, or extra ground.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
DONT DO IT

Black=load
red =load
Green=ground equipment
white= neutral
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#3]
220v? No electrician but this is how I understand it...

You need 2 hot lines (black and red?)and up to two other lines: 1 ground (usually green) and 1 neutral (usually white). No green?, the white represents the ground. Buy a Fluke meter and identify your supply/ return wires.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
On a dryer, the heating element runs on 220v (red to black), while the drum motor runs on 120v (black to white.)

You'll need the white as a "ground return side" of the 120v, and it should have its own path back to the electrical panel.  Green is protective ground and shouldn't carry current except in a fault condition.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If it were me I would call an electrician, and I am one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not 240.  The guy said a two year old could do it.  I've got to try!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
okay like was said black and red to the hots, ground ( bare or green ) to the green screw white to the the silver screw either on the top or bottom oppisite the ground. the hot screws will be on the side. this is assuming the house has a 4 wire ran to the plug. if it does not you need a three wire cord.

dryer end connections. remove the cover on the back of the dryer, the hots will be the the out side screws the nuetral will be the center screw. the ground will be another screw to the body of the dryer ( not all see bottom ) now to be 100 % proper the center screw should have a green wire that goes to the the body of the dryer, take that out and connect the ground to the body screw. now i would suggest you cut back the cord outer cover a little to make it a alot easier to connect ( give more slack )  but honestly if you leave the ground jumper in it is not a big deal ( some will say it is ).

now some older dryers will not have the extra ground jumper they will just have a metal tab that goes from the ground to the nuetral screw, if it is this way just bend the tab down and out of the way ( again like the jumper it is not a big deal to leave it ) the connect the ground to the body somewhere

if you need more help im me for a phone number
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah, but in NJ you probably have to.  I heard yall can't even pump your own gas.

DONT DO IT

Black=load
red =load
Green=ground equipment
white= neutral

+1
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

is it a gas dryer, then you wont have a 4 prong cord, it will have a normal grounded 110 plug like your tv with a ground
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just call, seriously.

I have friends ask me similar questions all the time, I like them all too much to give them their answers.  One simple mistake could mean the loss of your home and loved ones, or just yourself with a simple flash.

BTW, if the guy at Lowes knew so much, why is he working at Lowes?  Don't let him intimidate you.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but in NJ you probably have to.  I heard yall can't even pump your own gas.

Nope, we can't pump our own gas, not like I would want to anyway.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I gotta give it a try. If my post count stops here and I don't reach that magic 2005 at the magic moment.....well, you'll know I went down fighting........ and screaming like a woman!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure you are not standing in water and have shut off the breaker.  

Quoted:
I gotta give it a try. If my post count stops here and I don't reach that magic 2005 at the magic moment.....well, you'll know I went down fighting........ and screaming like a woman!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Better take another look around and see if Darwin is standing around there somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.eagle-electric.com/catalog/PDF/CWD_TECHNICAL_REFERENCE.pdf

Look at what otar said, check out page 26 of the link, and you should be good to go.

Keith
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#15]
or check your im for my phone number and call me
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in the process of moving so I'm in dial-up hell.  Page 26 wouldn't come up until Monday.  There are some guys down there putting together the pool table.  I'll get one of them to hold my beer and give it a shot.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I like your spirit.

Quoted:
I'm in the process of moving so I'm in dial-up hell.  Page 26 wouldn't come up until Monday.  There are some guys down there putting together the pool table.  I'll get one of them to hold my beer and give it a shot.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
i spent 2 days researching wiring my air compressor 220 volt so i could use it plugged into my dryer socket.

BE VERY CAREFUL. IT IS CONFUSING.. SOME PEOPLE CONFUSE NEUTRAL WITH GROUND (or some such nonsense i cant remember exactly).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The instructions with the dryer may show how to connect it as either a three wire or four wire connection.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah thats a real bitch when it's below zero out LOL
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:34:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i spent 2 days researching wiring my air compressor 220 volt so i could use it plugged into my dryer socket.

BE VERY CAREFUL. IT IS CONFUSING.. SOME PEOPLE CONFUSE NEUTRAL WITH GROUND (or some such nonsense i cant remember exactly).

first he called me and i talked him thru it, hope fully the ADD allows him 2 mins of close attention

as for the ground and nuetral thing, the ground is called the groundING conductor and the nuetral is called the groundED conductor, they in the elctric panel go to the same place ( but not in trailers ) one is for safty the other is so a 110 volt circuit has a return leg to the panel
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I swear this place could walk a simpleton through his first brain surgery.  Thanks Scotty.  Everything went great.....until......I dropped one of the little tiny nuts down the back of the dryer.  So me and half a million other idiots will be at Lowes tomorrow looking for that one tiny nut that nobody knows the size of.  

The hell with that, I'm gonna just JB Weld the sucker on and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I swear this place could walk a simpleton through his first brain surgery.  Thanks Scotty.  Everything went great.....until......I dropped one of the little tiny nuts down the back of the dryer.  So me and half a million other idiots will be at Lowes tomorrow looking for that one tiny nut that nobody knows the size of.  

The hell with that, I'm gonna just JB Weld the sucker on and be done with it.

do not jb weld it in place, it is a 10 32 ( some have a 10 24 )nut. go back and look at the nuetral connection typically they have 2 nuts on them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top