Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 1:51:13 PM EDT
OUCH!

kutv.com/topstories/local_story_356200328.html

Boy Scout Gets Knife Lodged In Brain

(KUTV) An incredible and un-suspecting accident leaves a Utah Boy Scout just inches from death when he was stabbed right between his eyes.

Jeff Jaeger spoke to Kevin Coulter and tells 2News how this was a truly freak accident.

While raking leaves for a Boy Scout event, one of the leaders flung a knife from his hand while trying to catch another scout who had tripped.

“It was dark, it was like 8:30 and there was a light and I saw it flash before it hit me,” said Kevin.

The blade landed in between his frontal lobes. It was 2 millimeters away from hitting a major blood vessel in his brain.

Kevin's doctors told him it was sheer luck where the knife hit.

“That's the sinuses that it went through and that I guess is where the brain lobe is right there,” said Kevin pointing to an X-Ray.

It was a freak accident in every way. Few people can admit they've seen anything like it, a 1 ½ inch blade through someone's skull.

“That's the best spot you know, if you're going to have a knife in your head,” said Kevin.

It amazingly wasn’t as painful as it looks; he says he just felt pressure.

In all, Kevin's kept a light heart about the whole situation. He got to miss out on a few weeks of school and yes, he walked away with the knife as a souvenir.

(© MMV, CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF is an "un-suspecting accident?" Who writes this bilge?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't work out the mechanics of how you go from holding a knife, while *raking leaves* to flinging it 15 feet into someone head?!?! wtf?

I just hope that leader has nothing to do with the archery and / or shooting merit badge classes

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to ban............ TOTE & CHIP

It's for the children.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, that happened here locally. I saw it on the local news last night. The boy was talking about it now (a couple weeks later?) and you can't even see a scar. Of course, he can't use the letter r anymore .
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah, that happened here locally. I saw it on the local news last night. The boy was talking about it now and you can't even see a scar. Of course, he can't use the letter r anymore .

Yet another aspiring pirate career cut short ...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can't work out the mechanics of how you go from holding a knife, while *raking leaves* to flinging it 15 feet into someone head?!?! wtf?

I just hope that leader has nothing to do with the archery and / or shooting merit badge classes

We had a kid in my Boy Scout Troop that was playing mumbly peg with his pocket knife. He spun the knife up into the air and when it came down, it stuck in his face between his lip and the underside of his nose. He was looking up, watching the knife come back to earth when it landed in his face.

He ended up with a bunch of stitches.

Ouch!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

I call on their 'explanation'.

I once saw pics somewhere of a guy that supposedly got shot with a crossbow in the back of his head by a jealous girlfriend. Supposedly the bolt pierced the back of his head with the point just underneath the skin on his forehead. The bolt was resting between the two halves of his brain, and apparently he survived. I don't know if it's BS or not....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
[GrouchoMarx] I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy...[/GrouchoMarx]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
There goes a corner.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There goes a corner.

+1 on that.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a 19th century incident of a rairoad worker who got a spike driven right between the lobes and survived. Best place to get hit in the brainpan if you had a choice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
WTF is an "un-suspecting accident?" Who writes this bilge?

Hey now, that right there's some creative english !    Gotta give em a few points for effort.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you get a merit badge for that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Not very good on the Scoutmaster's part.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah, that happened here locally. I saw it on the local news last night. The boy was talking about it now and you can't even see a scar. Of course, he can't use the letter r anymore .

Yet another aspiring pirate career cut short ...

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
So..

Is this a corner cut off on the totin chit, or the whole card?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#19]
bad safety practices (or lack thereof) of an adult that should have known better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There goes a corner.

+1 on that.

I would have taken two for that brazen stupidity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top