Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 9:22:12 AM EDT
My wife fell for one of those "You need to download THIS to view this page properly" lines and downloaded some BS program called "Starwear".  It took over as the default search engine and tried to run IE.  I got rid of it via the "Add/Remove Programs", but the POS took some shit with it.

I used to be able to type a word in the address bar and IE would do a MSN search.  That function is gone.  I've looked, but I can't find any sort of options or setting to get it back.  Now I have to actually open the "Search" window, which isn't a huge deal but it's a pain.

Anybody know how to fix?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#1]
grab some of the bars or lines on your browser and try moving them around, this happened to me once
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Your browser has been hijacked.

EASY fix?

Quit using that IE SHIT!

www.mozilla.com
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The address bar is still there, but before you could type "exercise equipment" in the address bar and IE would launch a search for "exercise equipment" or whatever.  Now, if you type "exercise equipment" you get

"Page cannot be found:  http:???exercise equipment.../ unavailable."
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

EASY fix?

Quit using that IE SHIT!

www.mozilla.com

Yeah, and I keep seeing threads about "mozilla this and mozilla that".  Doesn't seem that it is any better than IE.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=420226

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=418202

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=409198

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=405915

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=403512

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Go here, and download the program, Firefox. Run the installer, it'll port over all your stuff from IE except the spyware bars. Never open IE again. Make Firefox your default browser. All your favorites and stuff should automaticlly be transferred to Firefox, and you also get added security and better support for .png images with alpha, and rather than have five windows open, you can have five tabs.

Get it and enjoy.

ETA:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EASY fix?

Quit using that IE SHIT!

www.mozilla.com

Yeah, and I keep seeing threads about "mozilla this and mozilla that".  It seems to have a few bugs as well.

None of Mozilla or Firefox's bugs are as bad as the software than MS intentionally put in IE (ActiveX, I'm looking at you), and the bugs are usually fixed in one of the regularly released patches or updates.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go here, and download the program, Firefox. Run the installer, it'll port over all your stuff from IE except the spyware bars. Never open IE again. Make Firefox your default browser. All your favorites and stuff should automaticlly be transferred to Firefox, and you also get added security and better support for .png images with alpha, and rather than have five windows open, you can have five tabs.

Get it and enjoy.

ETA:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EASY fix?

Quit using that IE SHIT!

www.mozilla.com

Yeah, and I keep seeing threads about "mozilla this and mozilla that".  It seems to have a few bugs as well.

None of Mozilla or Firefox's bugs are as bad as the software than MS intentionally put in IE (ActiveX, I'm looking at you), and the bugs are usually fixed in one of the regularly released patches or updates.

Yeah right.  I know, it's just one big Microsoft conspiracy.  Sheesh.

No, I am not on MS payroll, but not everything is a fucking conspiracy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah right.  I know, it's just one big Microsoft conspiracy.  Sheesh.

No, I am not on MS payroll, but not everything is a fucking conspiracy.

ActiveX is just a big security hole, the buggiest release of Firefox is much safer than any version of IE with ActiveX. MS makes use of ActiveX, it's not intended to be a security hole, it does have legitemate uses, but it's a fairly common way for spyware developers to put spyware on the system. Firefox deliberately fails to support ActiveX (which isn't commonly used anyways) and so is much better.

Never said anything about a conspiracy, you made that up on your own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top