Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 9:05:56 AM EDT
Came through a little late saw the flash of light, my question is I have no front license plate (illegal in CA) but will this make it so they cannot get a plate number or do they take pics of the front and rear?

thanks-
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
They take a pic of the license plate and of the driver.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Fight it.

Go here:

National Motorists Association

Even if you loose, you are giving the system hell, which is more than 95% of the sheeple do.

Here read this article to get started:

Traffic tickets big business

ETA: I don't like traffic citations, the system that enforces them, or pretty much anything that goes with all that crap. HOWEVER, running red lights is really really a bad and annoying thing. So I'm with the others here who say don't run them...and I'll offer the tools to deal with the system that makes money on it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you hear about the lady in Dallas that was fined like $76,000 for not paying tolls at toll booths?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They take a pic of the license plate and of the driver.  

Just one pic of the front?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Some times they flash early, but you may be in luck.

At least at Harbor and Ornagethorpe in Fulerton/anaheim, the camera takes a pic (or maybe 2)of the front of the car and the crop it, giving a pretty good close up of the driver and the license on the fron of the car.

I saw a coworkers, that's the layout on hers.  The camera that snapped me never yielded a ticket.

BTW, I am an attorney who has seen my share of road destruction, but that light goes Green...Yell-RED.  Far too fast to stop if someone is close behind you.

In any evernt, I never saw a ticket, and I believe they are configured similarly.          
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of the red light intersections in San Diego have cameras in front and behind the car. Thank you for helping the city avoid bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
This one was at a left turn lane, it could have taken as many pictures from the front as it wanted I got no plate up there I just dont want any pictures from the rear!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#8]
You're probably in the clear if you saw the flash, but shame on you for running a stale yellow light.  Didn't your mama teach you to wait for your turn when you were a little boy?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You're probably in the clear if you saw the flash,

whys that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Came through a little late saw the flash of light, my question is I have no front license plate (illegal in CA) but will this make it so they cannot get a plate number or do they take pics of the front and rear?

thanks-

Trying to cause a crash, or just like to hold up folks longer that properly waited for their green light?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You're probably in the clear if you saw the flash,

whys that?

I'm assuming you were looking forward.  You said you have no front plate.  That will cause an evidenciary problem.

As I understand it, they only take one shot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#13]
You do realize that most traffic fatalities are caused by dumbasses not obeying signals at intersections, right?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#14]
should have drifted the turn wth lots of tire smoke...that will confuse the cameras
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
should have drifted the turn wth lots of tire smoke...that will confuse the cameras

+1!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

thanks-

What city?  I believe different cities have different requirements.  I have been in one of the offices (LA) where the camera footage is reviewed.  In this case, they told me that they must establish positive ID from front license plate, rear plate, and drivers face.  If you were wearing a hat and sunglasses (LA area camera), or no front or rear plate, or if the car is not registered to you, you may not get a ticket.  When I asked what their "success" ratio was, they said they issue tickets 40 to 50% of the time.  In some cities, they only require one plate number and no driver ID.  They will send it to whoever the registered owner is, and either they pay it, or must notify the city as who was driving the vehicle at that time (the ticket get forwarded).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
They should change all intersections to roundabouts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They should change all intersections to roundabouts.

Holy shit, if they did that the streets would flow with blood as thes assholes can't drive as it is.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Those redlight cameras are such BS.  We don't have them in my area, but my guess is they cause more accidents than they prevent from people slamming on their brakes in order to keep from tripping the camera.  On top of that I've read about cities playing with the timing of the lights in order to give out more tickets where those redlight cameras are present.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:21:46 AM EDT
[#20]
You Know I've Never Liked Those Camera's Either
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You do realize that most traffic fatalities are caused by dumbasses not obeying signals at intersections, right?

I seriously doubt that. I'd say most traffic fatalities are directly related to driving under the influence of

alcohol and a minority of those fatalies are incurred due to the individual under the influence's inability

to properly respond to traffic signals at intersections.  - Kool-Aid (LCA ts1337)
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#22]
At what point is it considered running the light? If you are within the boc whilest it's red? or is it only if you enter while red?

Anyone know?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#23]
In the wonderful city of Chicago, the cameras get you from the rear.

Pun intended.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
At what point is it considered running the light? If you are within the boc whilest it's red? or is it only if you enter while red?

Anyone know?

M4-AK

I got one last year, I just manned up and paid the fine.  Doesn't result in any insurance points.  Considered running in my case by two pictures, 1 just before entering intersection with the red light on and second pic of being in the intersection with the red light on.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#25]
I got one in my motorhome, I might have been able to stop but stuff would have been flying everywhere.  I even smiled for the camera.  I wanted to fight it but the fine was 4 times as much if you fight it and lose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top