Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 7:43:44 AM EDT
So London gets the Olympics.

But handguns are illegal.  

So will they have the event in London?  I have heard the Blair govt says there are no plans to change the law or make an excemption.

Or will they have it in Northern Ireland?  

Or will they just not have it?  Can the host country pick and choose the events to have?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Japan handled the gun aspect of there last olympics without freaking out too bad.  Competitors had severe restrictions on access to their guns - but if you're into this internationally, I would imagine there aren't many laws that one would find too shocking in their stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#3]
They've invited DEA agents over to handle all of the weapons right up unitl the athletes are ready to compete.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
the events will be held under maximum security conditions possible,

British Competitors WIL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PRACTICE in GreaT Britain... They Must practice in europe,

The official Line on Practivce is.... If you cant afford to travel to another country to practice its TOUGH!

James
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought they were having the shooting events on an island that is technically another country?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope, In London, at a specially built range that will probably be bulldozed as soon as it is finished with,

James
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, The Isle of Man and Northern Ireland still allow handguns, but maybe I'm wrong on that point.

What is the current situation on firearms ownership in Ireland? I believe they had a major breakthrough in the last year or two.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Isle of Man are allowed Pistols,
Norhtern Ireland are allowed pistols and CCW,

I think The republic of ireland is allwed pistols again now too,

I may be wrong though,

James
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe it will go much better than when the Olympics in New York.  We almost didn't get to shoot.

Hopefully I will be in London to compete.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I believe it will go much better than when the Olympics in New York.  We almost didn't get to shoot.

What events did you shoot and what did you score?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought EU countries had to make ownership of automatic weapons illegal?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What events did you shoot and what did you score?

I did not compete in New York.  By "we" I meant the Olympic shooters as a whole.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can legally own full auto in a plenty of EU countries if you have a collectors licence.

ANdy

Yep, I have been rather shocked (but happy) to learn that many European gun laws aren't as restrictive as I've been lead to believe.  There are quiet a few posters on the Files that have select fire weapons ... from Italy, Finland, and even Belgium.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I just figured they'd use Airsoft to compete.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They've invited DEA agents over to handle all of the weapons right up unitl the athletes are ready to compete.

DEA? Are you sure their proffesional enough for the job?

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah it's true, they are building a purpose built facility for the shooting events at Woolwich, S.E.London.
As soon as the events are over, they're going to bulldoze it.
The logical thing would be to have the shooting events at Bisley and put the funding into upgrading the facilities there, but that would be to reinforce and improve the facilities already on hand.
Definately what this fucking government doesn't want to do

They're also building a velodrome for the cycling events, and that will be flattened too

The whole bid has been built around lies and bullshit, and noe it turns out that the winnning bid was a mistake

Mark
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#20]
It looks like our Olympic team will be granted a temporary 'Section 5' permit that will allow them to compete.  This is what happened when we hosted the Commonwealth games IIRC.

Amazingly, one of our most  successful ever Commonwealth Games athelete is a pistol shot, Mick Gaunt who has won 11 Gold + plus numerous silver & bronze  medals, but if you showed a member of the public a photo of him, they wouldn't have any idea who he was, such is his lack of media coverage over here  !?!?!

I thought that all facilities built for the Olympic Games had to remain in situ for the benefit of the local community once the games were over ?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I thought that all facilities built for the Olympic Games had to remain in situ for the benefit of the local community once the games were over ?

Exactly
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#22]
The facilities are probably going to be built at Bisley, as there is much going on in the background.

If not, then the 'system' they are using to construct the range complex is modular. So, at the end of the Olympics it will be sold off, guess who will buy it, and of course set it up at Bisley!

The whole thing sucks as the Olympic charter outlines that every nations citizens should be free to engage in the sports 'tested' at the Olympics. If not, then the Olympics should not be held in that Country.......  .......Guess what we lost our full-bore pistols in 1997 that included .32!!!!

The sneaky underhand way that 'selected' team members are receiving Section 5 licences is underhand. It should be all or nothing, as how do you know if an undiscovered potentially great Olympic shooter is out there......

The Olympics are being used as a stepping block to press for the return of handguns, but again a missed opportunity. 'The' organisations are only asking for up to .32 caliber for competition use, which is about as much use as tits on a fish for the average UK shooter. If granted they would also have to be stored in secure armouries, as our Historic Arms are today. That is also very expensive and so prices a great deal of shooters out of the game straight away!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can legally own full auto in a plenty of EU countries if you have a collectors licence.

ANdy

Like, believe it or not, France!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:56:17 AM EDT
[#24]
The whole thing is a Scam. if the average person can not own the kit in a country to practice an olympic sport, Than that country should not beable to host the olympics. Just think there could people who have the talent to compete in the Olympics and they may never have the chance to show those skills.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:35:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Isle of Man, anything goes except full auto

Channel Islands, anything goes except full auto

Northern Ireland, anything goes, including full auto for PDW's

Republic of Ireland, anything goes including full auto if you can show a 'good reason'.

ANdy

good reason...luv the Irish
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The whole thing is a Scam. if the average person can not own the kit in a country to practice an olympic sport, Than that country should not beable to host the olympics. Just think there could people who have the talent to compete in the Olympics and they may never have the chance to show those skills.

When Blair signed up for the Olympics he breached several clauses on the Olympic Charter, not least the "sport freely available to all" bit. Added to the fact that facilities will not be permanent and benefit the local community after the olympics, I guess there may be a case for him to answer in court for breach of contract.

Any UK Contract lawyers here?

Matt
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When Blair signed up for the Olympics he breached several clauses on the Olympic Charter, not least the "sport freely available to all" bit. Added to the fact that facilities will not be permanent and benefit the local community after the olympics, I guess there may be a case for him to answer in court for breach of contract.

Any UK Contract lawyers here?

Matt

That's the argument I've been running down. However! According to the IOC it's up to the National bodies to select the teams and it seems our national body has entered a cosy little arrangement with Blair were they would pre-select the teams in advance and avoid all that potential for a legal challenge.

That's why I withed to the Paralypics tack. I KNOW that no one 'disabled' in the UK shoots 25m Sport Pistol so they can't pull that stunt. It's a sport in the Paralympics  that we are not even going to run selection trials in as they have no one to select from. The 'Minstry' is a bit embarrassed and I'm awaiting an 'explaination'...

ANdy

I've been on to the BOC about the team selection. They (Amy Terriere) gave me this reply "The selection criteria for the 2012 Games has not yet been decided, and wont be for a few more years."  She also said this is down to the national governing body, namely the Great Britain Target Shooting Federation.

Well I left many messages and emails with the GBTSF asking about team selection and the qualifying shoots, and so far haven't had any reply (it's only been 9 weeks, give them time). However, one of Tessa Jowell's (spl?) assistants has said (on national radio) that there will be no change in primary legislation but if UK shooters wish to train and compete they will be accomodated within the current law, ie they will be granted S5 for target pistol shooting (yes he actually said this!). As soon as I get a reply as to when and where a qualifying shoot is taking place I will have my application in place ready for the HO refusal it'll no doubt get.

Matt

ETA:
If you want to hastle the GBTSF yourselves, here are their contact details;
Great Britain Target Shooting Federation
Tel: 01702 219 395
Email: [email protected]
www.gbtsf-worldclass.co.uk

It looks like they have a link to the London bid website congratulating everyone on a job well done. I think more emails are on their way, now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread is hilarious.  Andy, misery IS always looking for company....

Enjoy your countries.

Even the best of gun laws in Europe suck donkey dick compared to all but a handful of the States.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Like, believe it or not, France!

No military calibers allowed in France......what else is full-auto ? ? ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:33:48 PM EDT
[#32]
The Olympics is a crock of shit anyways.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Amazingly, one of our most  successful ever Commonwealth Games athelete is a pistol shot, Mick Gaunt who has won 11 Gold + plus numerous silver & bronze medals...

Ah, the perfect profile of a total gun freak. I can see why the pistol sports will be held under tight security. Mr. Gaunt and his ilk might just go on a wild shooting spree. Damn the guns! Damn them all to HELL!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The Olympics is a crock of shit anyways.

I'll be sure to waive at you from the medal stand in London while I make all that money from sponsors.

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

No military calibers allowed in France......what else is full-auto ? ? ?

On second thoughts, I think its Spain where military cals are banned.

A friend of mine was having trouble moving to Spain with his Secton 7.3 Broom Handled Mauser because pistols with the ability to fit shoulder stocks are banned !
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top