Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 4:45:54 AM EDT
The Murse thread got me thinking two things.

1) Why the hell do women carry so much god damned crap with them everywhere.

2) With all the "Bug out bag" pictures, and detailed lists we post, shouldn't  we give women
credit for carrying around all that extra crap.   Some of it is superficial, but when I've had
a headache, I've never found a woman without a bottle of aspirin in her purse. They actually
do have alot of handy stuff in there for less prepared people to mooch off of.

It made me wonder if women have the equivalent of a message board where they
post pictures of the contents and discuss improvements on their daily basic carry load.

I did a search, and only found this, with some sparse but funny contents.  There's probably
better out there.

www.crimescene.com/vilson/evidence.purse.contents.html

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I might have to post a pic on what I have in mine.

I have one pouch that has utilitarian items like a small vice grip, small pry bar, duct tape, string, magic candles, empty plastic vials (I get them from work) paperclips, rubberbands, saftey pins, ect.

Then I have the toiletry pouch with toothbrush and paste, bandaids, sak with tweezers, sizzors, and magifiying glass amongst other things, otc medicanal supplies like aleve, pepto bismol, ect

Then I have another pouch with a headlamp, gloves, bandana, small goggles and the like

I also have a key chain with a prybaby, whistle, compass, spyderco jester, p38

I carry more or less things, depending on occasion but you get the idea. You would be surprised how many times I've had to make a fire for someone because they didn't have the right supplies or didn't know how. I'm talking about occasions like cookouts and oyster roasts. I carry my student backpack with most of those items with me at work and when I go somewhere else I move some items to a purse and the backpack stays in the truck. One time we went camping with a family that had a nice pull behind camper. There was a problem with the water line in the sink and I kept pulling things out of my backpack to help fix it. One of the plastic vials was used as a spice for the water line. Some stuff called "parafilm" that is used in the lab was used as teflon tape, to seal. I also had the fire making supplies for our fire.

People think I'm wierd but when they need something guess who they look for.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a "tactical man-purse" that looks kind of like a camera bag.  It has some handy items in it.

linkeroo

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
let me get this straight: You put in time to do a search for a purse forum? Whatever floats your boat I guess...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife could survive for days in the Amazon with her purse.
I hate the nights she goes w/o.

I have a laptop bag I use as a light BOB.
I just have to remember to empty all the tools out before I fly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the pack and pouches with the stuff out of it. I also have an esbit cube I forgot to mention. The little pouch in the back with the red tab is a blister kit, I usually just take it hiking but did not remove it from the last time I went hiking.

Here is a closeup of my utility pouch. Notice the atwood prybaby

Here you can see some of the toiletry items. The red case has makeup, just in case I have to look pretty

Here is everything in it's place. It really doesnt' take up much room. I usually have a waterbottle and other stuff in there when I got to work. Because I have things organized and compartmentalized I can pick and choose what I need to have with me at any given time. If I am just carrying a purse (I carry a small purse) I don't have every unit with me, I pretty much always have the tactical keychain and toiletry module though.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#6]
As a mom, I have to say that the contents of my overized purse/diaper bag could probably keep my toddler and me pretty okay if we were stranded overnight somewhere, but not much longer.  I always have snacks, sanitizer, water, tylenol, wipes, and money.  And diapers, of course.  If I had it and I was stranded alone, I could last on goldfish and trail mix a lot longer than my son could, so I'd be good for a couple of days as long as I could find fresh water.

It's not quite a BOB, though -- far from it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Here is the pack and pouches with the stuff out of it. I also have an esbit cube I forgot to mention. The little pouch in the back with the red tab is a blister kit, I usually just take it hiking but did not remove it from the last time I went hiking.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/preparedness/psk3.jpg

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/preparedness/psk2.jpg

Here you can see some of the toiletry items. The red case has makeup, just in case I have to look pretty

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/preparedness/psk.jpg

Here is everything in it's place. It really doesnt' take up much room. I usually have a waterbottle and other stuff in there when I got to work. Because I have things organized and compartmentalized I can pick and choose what I need to have with me at any given time. If I am just carrying a purse (I carry a small purse) I don't have every unit with me, I pretty much always have the tactical keychain and toiletry module though.

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/preparedness/pack.jpg

We keep some similar things handy.  You ought to check out the survival forum if you don't already.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Dudes, I'm not carrying a purse. I've made it just fine without one my entire life. I don't care if it's a "tactical marpat shoulder carried defensive pouch", it's still a goddamned purse and I'm not carrying it. I hate lugging crap around with me everywhere I go. Shit, I haven't made it ANYWHERE in a reasonable amount of time since I got married. Purses foster a sense of helplessnes. All I need is a wallet, my keys, a knife, and a fucking pistol. End of story.

Fuck, I can't even get in the goddamn car in a resonable amount of time anymore, unless I'm solo.

ME:
1. Unlock door via keyless entry as I'm walking out to the car.
2. Open door.
3. Sit the fuck down, while placing the key in the ignition.
4. Close the door.
5. Start the damn car, and drive off. Simple.

WIFE:
1. Walk out to car.
2. Walk back to house, because she forgot to lock the house.
3. Walk back to car.
4. Walk back to house, because she forgot something that isn't already in her luggage/purse somehow.
5. Fumble for keys in purse.
6. Untangle 90 keys and 40 keyrings.
7. Attempt to unlock car. Try the handle.
8. Turn the key the other way.
9. Open driver side door.
10. Open passenger rear door.
11. Place what must be supplies of sufficent quantity to justify an airlift in the back seat. The trunk is already full.
12. Close doors.
13. Adjust seat.
14. Adjust seats again.
15. Adjust backrest.
16. Adjust backrest again.
17. Adjust mirrors, depite not having moved since the last time.
18. Adjust mirrors again.
19. Drive off.
18. Turn around and come back. Something is missing, and the suspension will surely hold another 20 pounds or so before bottoming out.

FUCK!

Now that I got that out of my system, continue with the man bag discussion.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Dudes, I'm not carrying a purse. I've made it just fine without one my entire life. I don't care if it's a "tactical marpat shoulder carried defensive pouch", it's still a goddamned purse and I'm not carrying it. I hate lugging crap around with me everywhere I go. Shit, I haven't made it ANYWHERE in a reasonable amount of time since I got married. Purses foster a sense of helplessnes. All I need is a wallet, my keys, a knife, and a fucking pistol. End of story.

Fuck, I can't even get in the goddamn car in a resonable amount of time anymore, unless I'm solo.

ME:
1. Unlock door via keyless entry as I'm walking out to the car.
2. Open door.
3. Sit the fuck down, while placing the key in the ignition.
4. Close the door.
5. Start the damn car, and drive off. Simple.

WIFE:
1. Walk out to car.
2. Walk back to house, because she forgot to lock the house.
3. Walk back to car.
4. Walk back to house, because she forgot something that isn't already in her luggage/purse somehow.
5. Fumble for keys in purse.
6. Untangle 90 keys and 40 keyrings.
7. Attempt to unlock car. Try the handle.
8. Turn the key the other way.
9. Open driver side door.
10. Open passenger rear door.
11. Place what must be supplies of sufficent quantity to justify an airlift in the back seat. The trunk is already full.
12. Close doors.
13. Adjust seat.
14. Adjust seats again.
15. Adjust backrest.
16. Adjust backrest again.
17. Adjust mirrors, depite not having moved since the last time.
18. Adjust mirrors again.
19. Drive off.
18. Turn around and come back. Something is missing, and the suspension will surely hold another 20 pounds or so before bottoming out.

FUCK!

Now that I got that out of my system, continue with the man bag discussion.

\

Sorta depends on where you are and what you're doing I think.  If I was just futzing around in town or in the flatlands it would be one thing.  I can't imagine why you would need much in Ohio.
A few important items on hand can be valuable if you're doing stuff in the mountains though (and a lot of other places less mundane than flatlands and urban/suburban areas).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We keep some similar things handy.  You ought to check out the survival forum if you don't already.

img447.imageshack.us/img447/7492/dscf00141ge.jpg

IAMLEGEND..

you have ONE beer in your survival kit?  

lol.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img447.imageshack.us/img447/7492/dscf00141ge.jpg</a>

IAMLEGEND..

you have ONE beer in your survival kit?  

lol.

I know...it's totally weak.  I got shit about this from TequilaBob too.

FWIW I usually have a few in my truck.  I’ve been thinking about adding one or two more to my pack or maybe throwing in a flask of rye.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
My boyfriend carries more "purses" than I do.

But I have the stuff he needs...

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#13]
From the original post's link:

Military Style Purse

Prozac and Birth Control Pills

Matches from Local Bars and Restaurants

Looks about typical. The Marlboro Lights must not have made it to the evidence room.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not really sure what your point is. You like purses?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I was watching "I shouldn't be alive" last week that featured the couple with the small baby that got stranded out west in a blizzard or something. I couldn't believe they were so unequipped. They couldn't even make a fire! Surprizingly the baby survived, and so did the parents, minus their toes, it took them 4 months before they could even walk again.

They didn't even have warm shoes to walk for help in?!? It really was a miricle they survived, I squirmed throughout the whole episode.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top