Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 4:41:07 AM EDT
Below is a picture of the feed ramps on my Colt 6721 (Tactical Carbine). It's an all Colt gun. Notice how the upper-receiver M4 feed ramp cuts do not line up with the barrel-extension feed ramp cuts. It looks like the barrel need to rotate slightly to get the ramps lined up. I took the barrel nut off and tried to rotate the barrel to get the ramps lined up but there is ZERO play in key-slot where barrel lines up with the receiver.

Would you Colt 6920 or Colt 6721 Owners (only Colt owners) post some pics of your feed ramps so I can see if there is manufacturing tolerances where other guns don't line up perfectly? Many thanks!!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks fine to me and similar to the other Colts i have seen.  If you notice some look lined up and some don;t.  It isn;t a hand built rifle so some stuff won't be perfect.  I bet it works though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If the rifle shoots and feeds fine with M193 and SS109, your good to go.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]

I really would like to see some pictures of other Colt gun feed ramps so I can understand how common this is. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:15:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Goddamn pivot bolt
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
There has to be zero play in the key slot, or your barrel (and thus the front sight) would wobble all over the place.

Most AR15s dont even have the reciever ramps, so as long as they're close (which yours are, the reciever ramps are within the barrel ramps), you're set.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Goddamn pivot bolt

HUH???? I don't understand???
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There has to be zero play in the key slot, or your barrel (and thus the front sight) would wobble all over the place.

Most AR15s dont even have the reciever ramps, so as long as they're close (which yours are, the reciever ramps are within the barrel ramps), you're set.

Kharn

I really would like to see some pictures of other Colt gun feed ramps so I can understand how common this is. Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Goddamn pivot bolt

HUH???? I don't understand???

Instead of a pivot PIN, Colt in their infinite wisdom decided on a pivot BOLT (or screw, i guess)  

I love Colt's quality, don't get me wrong. I just hate non-standard bullshit for no reason at all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#10]
the rifle is fine, do not worry about it
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't own a Colt or any other rifle with the M4 feed ramp cuts, but my understanding is that the feed ramp cuts in the barrel extension are wider than the ones in the upper receiver to provide tolerance during barrel assembly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#13]
What is a pic gonna do for you? We are telling you with experience from seeing lots of rifles.  I have seen over 10 colts with feed ramps.  If somone posts a pic where they are perfect what are you gonna do?

If its that big of a deal to you have it blended.  It isn't worth the cash or time.  Ofcourse 1911 guys will argue with me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Here a pic but for what it's worth, the bullet rides up the very middle of the ramp, but to be honest most of my rifles with the ramps, the bullet does'nt even use the ramp, it is there just for those rare times it may need it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What is a pic gonna do for you? We are telling you with experience from seeing lots of rifles.  I have seen over 10 colts with feed ramps.  If somone posts a pic where they are perfect what are you gonna do?

If its that big of a deal to you have it blended.  It isn't worth the cash or time.  Ofcourse 1911 guys will argue with me.

Yesterday, there was a thread on this board where half the guys were saying that they don't use a mechanical safety on a firearm because "their finger and their brain is their safety". So if you'll excuse me, I'd prefer to see some pictures of Colt feed ramps so I can come to my own conclusion rather that just taking the advice of someone on the internets.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Speaking of Colt Oddities.

What Front Sight Post does your 6721 have on it, Strat?

Mine is the square post, but it tapers off towards the top of the post.  Kinda like a mix between and A1 and A2 sight post.

I just noticed this the other day when I took it out to zero the weapon.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL366/498052/5478468/80208307.jpg

Here a pic but for what it's worth, the bullet rides up the very middle of the ramp, but to be honest most of my rifles with the ramps, the bullet does'nt even use the ramp, it is there just for those rare times it may need it.

Thanks for taking the pic, but it's hard to tell in your pic since it's taken from the side. Are you ramps centered?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Speaking of Colt Oddities.

What Front Sight Post does your 6721 have on it, Strat?

Mine is the square post, but it tapers off towards the top of the post.  Kinda like a mix between and A1 and A2 sight post.

I just noticed this the other day when I took it out to zero the weapon.

It has a square post.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a bit late but:
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm a bit late but:
temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vettes_rule//dsc01431small.jpg

Is that a Colt? Why aren't the upper-receiver M4 ramps anodized? I am only interested in seeing Colt ramps so I may understand what Colt tolerances are.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#21]
There's no problem with that. As long as there is no possibility of the tip of the round catching something on the way up, you're good to go. All my Colt rifles with M4 uppers don't line up perfectly either.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I've seen 6520's that have non-anodized ramps. Your ramps are fine. The barrel extension cuts are wider than the receiver cuts. If it were the other way around, there could be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I thought the ramps where for the bolt, not the bullet
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a bit late but:
temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vettes_rule//dsc01431small.jpg

Is that a Colt? Why aren't the upper-receiver M4 ramps anodized? I am only interested in seeing Colt ramps so I may understand what Colt tolerances are.

It's a 6920.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img439.imageshack.us/img439/6831/feedramp3rb.jpg

You own a COLT?

Own a few
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#28]
If you are having problems with an all Colt rifle send it to them to be fixed.

They warranty their stuff pretty well which is one of the reasons you buy a Colt.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

They warranty their stuff pretty well which is one of the reasons you buy a Colt.

Heck olyarms has a nice warranty. Why not buy them
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Not on a Friday, BUD!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not on a Friday, BUD!!

Olyarms Olyarms Olyarms OlyarmsOlyarms OlyarmsOlyarms OlyarmsOlyarms Olyarms Olyarms Olyarms

Merry Christmas by the way
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the ramps where for the bolt, not the bullet

Nope, to assist when firing full-auto since sometimes the bullet isnt nose-up enough when the bolt tries to take it out of the magazine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's why I'm trying to see other Colt feed ramps, so I can see if I actually do have a problem. There is no point in sending it in to Colt for repair if they all look like mine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I'm trying to see other Colt feed ramps, so I can see if I actually do have a problem. There is no point in sending it in to Colt for repair if they all look like mine.

How does it shoot?
Fine I'll bet, it is not a problem, shoot it, if you have a problem then send it back
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#35]
As an armorer who has been through Colt's factory M16 armorer's course, I can tell you that your gun looks normal.  If it runs, quit worrying about it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
As an armorer who has been through Colt's factory M16 armorer's course, I can tell you that your gun looks normal.  If it runs, quit worrying about it.

Do you know the difference between Toyota's Quality Inspector and General Motor's Quality Inspector?

Answer: Toyota's Quality Inspector won't pass what General Motor's Quality Inspector will pass.

That's why GM is in bankruptcy and Toyota is in the black.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know the difference between Toyota's Quality Inspector and General Motor's Quality Inspector?

Answer: Toyota's Quality Inspector won't pass what General Motor's Quality Inspector will pass.

whats your point?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Cant be a problem there, Colt is God of rifles.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch!
You seem to be all worked up over nothing. People here have told you it wont be a problem and you dont want to believe it.

Maybe you should sell it and buy a Rock River

I see marks on your upper that show the trail of the bullets path, not on the ramps themselves and it looks like you have shot it quite a bit
Have you had a problem so far or are you just fishing for one
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:09:28 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ouch!
You seem to be all worked up over nothing. People here have told you it wont be a problem and you dont want to believe it.

I see marks on your upper that show the trail of the bullets path, not on the ramps themselves and it looks like you have shot it quite a bit
Have you had a problem so far or are you just fishing for one

He's just fishing for one.  Guys like this are why I sometimes hate being a department armorer.  "Hey, the finish is wearing off my Glock!  I want a new one!"  "Is this normal wear?  I wanna see some other guys' Glocks so I can make sure this is normal wear!"  "The witness holes on the back of my Glock mags aren't perfectly round!  I demand new ones!"

The best one was the guy who noticed that the round he had chambered in his issued M16 had a very small dimple in the primer when he took it out after a call.  Rather than come talk to one of the rifle armorers, he wrote a big long memo to the chief about what happened and how it was an unsafe condition.  He wrote that all of the rifles should be immediately taken out of service until the cause of the 'problem' could be determined and fixed.  This threw staff all in a tizzy wondering how we were going to get all of the rifles 'fixed' in a timely manner, at least until one of the rifle armorers got ahold of the memo.  

This guy doesn't really want an answer to his question, obviously- he just wants to see how many people will comply with his demand for pictures.   Sorry, don't have time to go photograph the feed ramps on a dozen M4s and then post the pics so you can decide to believe what we are telling you.

Tell you what, TacticalStrat- you think it's messed up, box the damn thing up and send it to Ken Elmore at SAW.  He teaches Colt's armorer's courses, but he is not a regular Colt employee and has nothing to gain by covering up their sloppy workmanship.  Send him a nice long letter about your issues and ask him to do a technical inspection on your gun and fix any problems.   That way you don't have to worry about any General Motors quality inspectors saying your totally effed-up gun is within spec, again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top