Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 9:40:54 AM EDT
Might have to travel to these countries on business in the future and was wondering what to expect.

Can an English-speaking person get by in Sweden without learning the native tongue?  

Any suggestions for somebody making a trip to these places?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get by on English in Sweden, but not in Australia.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You lucky guy, been throughout Southern Sweden and no probs communicating with English.  What business you in if you don't mind me asking?

Stockholm is a must of course, one of the most beautiful cities in the world IMO.  For trendy nightlife, Stureplan are is the place to go.  Gamla Stan is the old town and where all the tourists hang out.  Hope everything is expensed through your company because you'll be clowing a lot of $$ otherwise.

Gotland is a cool island to hang out in the summer.  Good partying in Visby which is also a beautiful medievel town.

Oland is a laid back quiet romantic island, kind of like a giant Martha's Vineyard.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I like to take in the local history when I travel.  Sounds like Sweden has a lot of it.

I'm in aircraft maintenance training systems, mainly military airlift jets.  Nothing signed on this yet, but today they briefed us that these countries are interested in the jet we provide training on.

It will probably be a while due to how long it takes for these things to happen, but the announcement put a grin on my face.  If we get these contracts I'll be unbearable.

As for expenses, the company goes with the .gov per diem rate.  I did pretty good in the UK last year.  Added a few guns to the safe after I got home.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweden was cool, no problems where we went...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It will probably be a while due to how long it takes for these things to happen, but the announcement put a grin on my face.  If we get these contracts I'll be unbearable.

Well wait till you see the  the women in Stockholm,  Yep, great historical sights all over the country and tons of castles.  It's a very well preserved country as it hasn't seen too many wars.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]

I live in Stockholm (Sweden) and almost all people here can speak english
or at least they understand what you say to them.
Communication will not be a problem at all.

(When i was reading your post again i saw that you was working with aircrafts
i actually do the same)
I work at Volvo Aero Engine Services in Stockholm

www.volvo.com/volvoaero/global/en-gb/

Magnus
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I live in Stockholm (Sweden) and almost all people here can speak english
or at least they understand what you say to them.
Communication will not be a problem at all.

(When i was reading your post again i saw that you was working with aircrafts
i actually do the same)
I work at Volvo Aero Engine Services in Stockholm

www.volvo.com/volvoaero/global/en-gb/

Magnus

Very cool!  I didn't know that Volvo was into aviation.

BTW, if we get this business, out of consideration for the host country I'll at least pick up a phrase book.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm originally from Sweden and am pretty familiar with the country as I visit fairly often. Magnus would probably be a better resource though. As everyone else has said, communication shouldn't be too much of a problem, just don't challenge anyone to a drinking contest.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I spend time in that region ocassionally.    Everyone under the age of 50 can pretty much speak English well, as it's been taught in schools for years.  Every once in a while you'll run into an older person who can't, but that's about it.

I'm not a much of a blond fan, but I can't help but be one when I'm there.   There is an endless supply of jaw dropping real blondes in all of Scandinavia that you just don't see over here.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Might have to travel to these countries on business in the future and was wondering what to expect.

Can an English-speaking person get by in Sweden without learning the native tongue?  

Any suggestions for somebody making a trip to these places?

I've been to Australia. Just remember that when it's summer here, it's winter there and vice versa. There's much more to do in Australia during their summer, such as visiting the reefs, outback, sightseeing, etc...

Sydney is a pretty cool city.Clearn, tourist oriented city with good shopping and great sights. If you have money to spend, I recommend doing the Sydney Harbour BridgeClimb

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I used to go to Sweden often when we lived in Poland since its only a ferry ride away.  We went on several week long bike trips in different parts of the country but we loved the little city of Ystad on the south east part of the country... small and very quiet city with nothing much to do other than just hang out, eat and drink.

Summer weather is great but it can be a bit cool.  One summer it was 47 degrees out at the beach on July 4.  Normally the summer weather is in the 60's.  In the winter it does get very cold especially up north.  Also, in the middle of summer the sun comes out around 3:00AM and set around 11:30PM and that in the souther part of the country because up north it never sets completely.  In the winter its the opposit, sun comes out around 10:30AM and sets around 3:00PM and up north it never completely comes out.

We had no problem anywhere in the country just speaking english and everybody was very helpful.  Large cities are like any others in Europe but in smaller cities it is very beautiful.  BTW.  walking around the city square on Saturday you'll see bunch of ladies that look like the Barbie doll.      
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My wife and I used to go to Sweden often when we lived in Poland since its only a ferry ride away.  We went on several week long bike trips in different parts of the country but we loved the little city of Ystad on the south east part of the country... small and very quiet city with nothing much to do other than just hang out, eat and drink.

If you go to Ystad, check out the Ale Stones about 45 minutes East, Kind of like a larger version of Stonehenge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top