Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2005 6:44:23 AM EDT
The man of the house always has the woman answer and screen the phone call? That bugs me......
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]
When I had a home phone and a wife, I never answered the phone. Anybody who really needs to reach me calls me on my mobile.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was married my job (at first) required non-stop face-to-face and telephone contact with the public 8 hours a day.

I'll be damned if I was going to deal with the phone and people once I got home.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]
We use the answering machine for everyone. If we want to talk to you, we'll pick-up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
There are phones near the ironing board and the stove.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The phone never rings for me anyways. I am not my son's secretary, let him get it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There are phones near the ironing board and the stove.

Kharn

As bothersome as it maybe, keep in mind that for a lot of us, making cold contacts is the only way to do our jobs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]

I never answer the phone.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I never answer the phone.  

+1

if i want to talk to you,you would have my cell number!
kids school,my boss and a very few friends have my cell mumber.

bill type people get the house number.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: I never answer the phone.  
Then set the ringer to "OFF". You can always read the CallerID screen to see if it's worth a callback.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Cold Calling is a tool of satan.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]
You've gotta rate pretty good for me to wanna talk to you after a day at the office.

The folks that do rate have my cell number.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

A necessary evil.  Hell I am doing a favor by cold calling people.  Most people don't realize that they have a quarter of a million dollars growing in their back yard.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't answer the phone unless someone I love is expected to call.

If anyone "cold calls" me I hang up on them after letting them know ever so nicely not to fucking call me ever again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

Special place in hell for 'em...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We use the answering machine for everyone. If we want to talk to you, we'll pick-up.

ditto
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I hear ya.

My Wife was VERY happy when our state got a do not call list.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A necessary evil.  Hell I am doing a favor by cold calling people.  Most people don't realize that they have a quarter of a million dollars growing in their back yard.

Maybe if you weren't selling franchises for pot farms . . .
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I dumped my land line because the cold calls were keeping it hot.  If anyone needs to get me they will have my cell.

<--------------------- Not a fan of telemarketers!  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't have a home phone!  Ha-ha.  No cold calls for me.  Best decision I ever made.  Okay, that's a bit of a stretch.  It was a damn good decision.  I have never missed it once.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just went out and checked and there is no money tree in my back yard. (ok, i did not REALLY go into my back yeard as I am at home, but sometimes it is ok to meet one fib with anohter)   Now the lawn service sees money back there, but that is my paying them to do the work I don't have time for.  If there really is 250K in my back yard you'll charge what to tell me how to get it?  240K up front?  [Lumberg voice]  Yeah[/lumberg voice]  TANSTAAFL!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just went out and checked and there is no money tree in my back yard. (ok, i did not REALLY go into my back yeard as I am at home, but sometimes it is ok to meet one fib with anohter)   Now the lawn service sees money back there, but that is my paying them to do the work I don't have time for.  If there really is 250K in my back yard you'll charge what to tell me how to get it?  240K up front?  [Lumberg voice]  Yeah[/lumberg voice]  TANSTAAFL!

I don't charge, I just give you a check and move the logging crew in.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:41:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The man of the house always has the woman answer and screen the phone call? That bugs me......

You presume a lot to think that the "man of the house" is the sole decision maker.  Call my house with that crap and you'll not only get a failed sale (you will ALWAYS get that from us) but you'll get lots of bad word of mouth.  What company are you schilling for again?  I don't find any hits on google when I look up "companies that want to give me $250,000 for the stuff "growing" in my back yard"

At least here, my wife and I own an undivided one half interest in our real property property.  Even IF you sold me you'd need to sell her as well.  When I married I got a partner not a lackey and that is the way I like it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What company are you schilling for again?  I don't find any hits on goolge when I look up "companies that want to give me $250,000 for the stuff "growing" in my back yard"

I buy timber for a large sawmill.  FWIW I just bought a tract of timber today.  20 acres that I spent $45,000 on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What company are you schilling for again?  I don't find any hits on goolge when I look up "companies that want to give me $250,000 for the stuff "growing" in my back yard"

I buy timber for a large sawmill.  FWIW I just bought a tract of timber today.  20 acres that I spent $45,000 on.

damn you southernors and your veneer hardwoods. 2 grand an acre for stumpage is damn good up here
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn you southernors and your veneer hardwoods. 2 grand an acre for stumpage is damn good up here

I paid a little more for this tract because unlike the other tracts I have bought up, I can actually log this one during bad weather.  2 of my crews are bogged down in snow, ice and mud.  Believe it or not, per acre, white pine will bring the most amount of money.  There was one tract 10 acres that was running 45mbf/acre of white pine.  The high bid was $67,000
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I paid a little more for this tract because unlike the other tracts I have bought up, I can actually log this one during bad weather.  2 of my crews are bogged down in snow, ice and mud.  Believe it or not, per acre, white pine will bring the most amount of money.  There was one tract 10 acres that was running 45mbf/acre of white pine.  The high bid was $67,000

ohh yeah big old white pine is niiiccceee... not much left up here... though Ive seen a university forest stand that was worth about 15k an acre, all 30" + pine and hemlocks

much nicer then the usual spruce fir pulp....

Up here in maine biomass is worth more then pine pulp some places now...

worst operating year ever up here... last couple months have been 2-3x the previous 100 year high for rainfall, everything was shut down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ohh yeah big old white pine is niiiccceee... not much left up here... though Ive seen a university forest stand that was worth about 15k an acre, all 30" + pine and hemlocks

much nicer then the usual spruce fir pulp....

Up here in maine biomass is worth more then pine pulp some places now...

worst operating year ever up here... last couple months have been 2-3x the previous 100 year high for rainfall, everything was shut down.

This pine was only 50 years old.........we don't have any hemlocks down this way anymore the adelgid had killed them all.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SEE, A SATAN SMILEY!  I KNEW IT!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If you ever call my house, and my wife answers, you can rest assured that I'm dead. She NEVER talks on the phone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you ever call my house, and my wife answers, you can rest assured that I'm dead. She NEVER talks on the phone.

The funny thing is my mom always answers the phone and so does my grandmother.

BTW are you going to the Hite Hollow shoot on New Years?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top