Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 10:36:48 PM EDT
I just bought a pair of 'roo skin gloves at Cabelas last week.  My "Fuck You" to the PRK since they are illegal to purchase in-state (damned eco-nazifreaks).

www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17620642-29277,00.html

New name for kangaroo meat

December 20, 2005

AUSTRALIANS could soon be chucking a piece of "australus" on the barbecue if the new name for a slice of kangaroo makes it more appealing to diners sensitive about eating the national symbol.

Inspired by the fact that slices of cow or pig on a plate are known by the more palatable euphemisms of beef or pork, Australia's kangaroo meat industry backed a competition to find a similarly savoury name for cute kangaroos.

It was won by US citizen Steven West, who came up with the name "australus" while working at an hotel school near Sydney.

The editor of Food Companion International, which ran the competition, said "australus" sounded dignified and linked the meat with the home of the kangaroo.

"The new name may be a huge breakthrough for the kangaroo meat industry," Mel Nathan said.

Among the 2700 rejected entries submitted by people in 41 nations were kangasaurus, kangarly, marsupan, jumpmeat and MOM (Meat of Marsupials).

"There is nothing more comforting than a mother," said Californian Greg Richardson of his MOM entry. "In order to make kangaroo meat sound more comforting to potential consumers, I figured we could associate one with the other: MOM."

Kangaroo meat sales have grown 50-fold in the past decade to create a $200m a year industry, with Europe a major export market for the low-fat red meat and Russians lapping it up in sausages.

But Australians have been reluctant to eat an animal so closely linked to the national identity - and portrayed as intelligent and lovable in the popular television programme Skippy - so most kangaroo meat consumed locally is in the form of pet food.

The national quota for culling kangaroos in 2005 was 3.9 million animals, a number described by some wildlife activists as a cruel slaughter but defended by the industry as necessary to keep down booming populations.

The executive officer of the Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia, John Kelly, said that while his organisation had helped sponsor the competition it had "no really serious intention of changing the name" at this stage.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
thought Micky Ds been using Roo meat in its burgers for years, that why you feel springy after a big mac.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#2]
ha that is interesting
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats wrong with eating the national symbol, Why just last night I hat a helping of buffalo wings made from the bal eagle.  Ever eat a three foot long hot wing.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's an excellent recipe I found: Kangaroo stroganoff.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top