Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:03:12 PM EDT
Hi all,

Since the handgun forums seem a bit slow, I thought that I would post this here.  We can talk aout guns in GD, right?

I have a 1977 Colt Combat Commander that I dearly love.  It is finished in electroless nickel and is getting pretty scuffed and scratched up.  Plus, silver guns never really flipped my switch.

I know that I can get the nickel bead blasted to clean it up, but I'm wanting something a bit less "blingy".  

Has anyone every tried applying DuraCoat or CeraKoat over roughed up nickel?  I don't want to remove the nickel and the protection that it provides, but I want a black gun.  Will any finish stick to nickel?

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
_disconnector_

I am going to have an AK underfold refinished. I was wanting a matte hard chrome finish with a black coating applied over it. Accurate Plaing said they could do it with their Ceraguard finish. Here is a link, if you would like to contact them.

Mikie
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
 Ya know, Bro, there ain't nothin' wrong with the bling if you do it right.

Here's what I would do with that Colt, were it mine.

Strip the nickle finish, give the gun a nice, heavy bead blast and then hard chrome it.  Put on a Really nice set of wood grips ( or maybe stag or micarta ), some King's Hardball ( a slighty beefier, G.I. style ) rear sights and that's it.

Simple

Clean

Effective

Pretty
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have done Cerakote over stripped nickle before and it turned out rather nice..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top