Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 6:30:41 PM EDT
I am watching the DC, as a first-time BR watcher.  What am I missing?  Better or worse and why?

Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The director's cut has the voice-over of Harrison Ford that explains a lot along the way.  I can't find a copy of the original theatrical version but it is also worth watching.  I actually like that version better.  There are some other subtle and important differences.  The book is a great read:  "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"

Link
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The director's cut has the voice-over of Harrison Ford that explains a lot along the way.  I can't find a copy of the original theatrical version but it is also worth watching.  I actually like that version better.  There are some other subtle and important differences.  The book is a great read:  "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?"

Visa-versa...    the directors cut doesn't have any narration...

most folks that see it first think of harrison ford as a brutal killer....

if you see the theatrical version and get harrison's reasons for his merciless killings you tend to see him more as the protagonist and sympathise with him...

So to answer your question, I think its best to see the theatrical version first... if you like it then watch the director's cut.

If you watched the Director's cut first, and didn't like it... you'd be better off watching the theatrical version to get a new perspective...

my .02...

ps I voted for the theatrical for the logic above, but I own and watch the Directors cut....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The director's cut has the voice-over of Harrison Ford that explains a lot along the way.

You have it backwards, the voice-over and the happy ending was the studio exe (release) version.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't like the 'director's cut' of Bladerunner, at all.

Is it my vervid imagination or were scenes actually cut from the theatrical release version in the 'director's cut'?

Which is precisely opposite what you usually get in such cuts.

Eric The(Hmm?)Hun
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Never seen
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The director's cut has the voice-over of Harrison Ford that explains a lot along the way.

You have it backwards, the voice-over and the happy ending was the studio exe (release) version.

Sorry guys, brain fart.  Great movie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Visa-versa...    the directors cut doesn't have any narration...

most folks that see it first think of harrison ford as a brutal killer....

if you see the theatrical version and get harrison's reasons for his merciless killings you tend to see him more as the protagonist and sympathise with him...

So to answer your question, I think its best to see the theatrical version first... if you like it then watch the director's cut.

If you watched the Director's cut first, and didn't like it... you'd be better off watching the theatrical version to get a new perspective...

my .02...

ps I voted for the theatrical for the logic above, but I own and watch the Directors cut....

you are correct, the director's cut lacks the narration
I think the original is better.  The directors cut almost makes it a different story.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Never seen

You're kidding me?  After reading some of your posts, I could have sworn you were the Bladerunner.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
This DVD sucks as far as quality goes.

BLADE RUNNER - THE DIRECTOR'S CUT

STARRING: Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, M Emmet Walsh, Daryl Hannah

1993, 112 Minutes, Directed by: Ridley Scott

Description: This version is so much better, mostly because of what's been eliminated (the ludicrous and redundant voice-over narration and the phony happy ending) rather than what's been added (a bit more character development and a brief unicorn dream).

Star Harrison Ford originally recorded the narration under duress at the insistence of Warner Bros. executives who thought the story needed further "explanation"; he later confessed that he thought if he did it badly they wouldn't use it.

This particular version of Blade Runner made it to the big screen as well a few years ago. It is the version of the film that Ridley Scott would have released back in 1982 if he could have and its release has a convoluted history and finally made it our way because of the huge cult following the film has garnered since its original release. (It was a commercial disappointment upon its initial release.)

The changes made are:

Dropping the Chandler-esque voice over by Harrison Ford
Adding some moments to the love scenes between the Harrison Ford and Sean Young characters
Fleshed out a few other scenes
Providing what Scott himself describes as a “somewhat bleaker ending”
Inserted a short dream sequence involving a unicorn
The changes made to the movie aren’t that considerable at first glance, but the sum of it adds up and in the end this particular version of the film differs substantially from the original cut.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Having never seen either version, I tried to watch the director's cut a couple of weeks ago.  I couldn't sit through it.  Booooooooooring.

Heathen.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
People who don't like Blade Runner: The Directos Cut have no imagination and should limit their Sci-Fi movie viewing to ET, Short Circuit and D.A.R.Y.L.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I went looking for this and couldn't find the original version anywhere except on eBay.  

They keep hoping a dual version will turn up but not yet.  I haven't seen the DVD so I'm not sure how good the Director's Cut transfer was.  Actually I did find a version of this at DVD Planet but it was in a Science Fiction Boxed set with 3 other DVDs.  It wasn't listed separately in DVD Planet's computer.  Weird...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I didn't like the 'director's cut' of Bladerunner, at all.

Is it my vervid imagination or were scenes actually cut from the theatrical release version in the 'director's cut'?

Which is precisely opposite what you usually get in such cuts.

Eric The(Hmm?)Hun

The shmaltzy Hollywood happy ending was the only scene cut, and rightly so.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
International cut is my fav.
from Wikipedia

Versions

Six versions of the film exist but only two are widely known and seen:
The original 1982 international cut, which included more graphic violence than the U.S. theatrical release, and which was released on VHS and on Criterion Collection Laserdisc.
The U.S. theatrical version, also called the domestic cut.
Two workprint versions, shown only as audience test previews and occasionally at film festivals; one of these was distributed in 1991, as a Director's Cut without Scott's approval.
The Ridley Scott-approved 1992 Director's Cut, prompted by the unauthorized 1991 release, is to date the only version released on DVD.
The broadcast version, edited for profanity.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
the theater version was supposedly on tv a while back. I taped it but haven't watched it
I've seen the directors cut a few times, and I think I saw the theatrical version a long time ago
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
So was Deckerd a replicant or not?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Never saw it/them.    

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I've only seen the directors cut and I didnt like it too much.

I would like to see the original version, but apparently its not out on DVD, nor can it easily be found in VHS.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The Director says so....

The restored 'unicorn dream' in the Director's Cut, is the key, since Gaff leaves a unicorn origami behind at Deckerd's apartment.

How would Gaff know about the unicorn IF he had not seen Deckerd's file ?

Eric The(Happenstance)Hun
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#22]
directors cut.

the voice over was for the perceived morons in america

posted by xxTAPxx

The directors cut almost makes it a different story.

Exactly.  A more accurate, better story
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
People who don't like Blade Runner: The Directos Cut have no imagination and should limit their Sci-Fi movie viewing to ET, Short Circuit and D.A.R.Y.L.  

You forgot Howard the Duck

WTF!?!?! there is a Criterion Laser Disc   and we don't have an international edition Criterion DVD?
Dammit!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#24]
True film noir movies always seemed to have voice-over narrations.

That's one thing I liked about the original....

Eric The(MovieBuff)Hun
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw the directors cut a couple months ago, first and only time I've seen either.  I think you have to get into blade runner at age 11 and nurture a love for it over decades, like my best friend did.  It doesn't work for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot Howard the Duck

WTF!?!?! there is a Criterion Laser Disc   and we don't have an international edition Criterion DVD?
Dammit!

dvds of the internatinal cut are floating around  just there fan done transfers from the LDs
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Jeepers!

I was 30 when I first saw this movie!

And I have enjoyed it ever since.

I thought it was a pretty good rendition of what LA might look like....last year.

Eric The('Engrish',Anyone?)Hun
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Netfix doesn't have the directors cut.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
directors cut.

the voice over was for the perceived morons in america

I must be one of them.  It probaby would have clarified the movie and plot some.  And the ending is a bit confusing.  

Oh well, at least I didn't spend a whole lot.  I found it in the $5 bargain bin at China-Mart.  Next poll:  Why Harrison Ford is a great actor but he makes a lousy desk-jockying Jack Ryan.  Jack Ryan is a pencil-pusher, not a fedora-wearing whip-using ass-kicking archaeologist from 1938.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't pay enough attention to the original when it came out and aired on cable tv the first time. I recently got the directors cut and can more fully appreciate the film.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Jeepers!

I was 30 when I first saw this movie!

And I have enjoyed it ever since.

I thought it was a pretty good rendition of what LA might look like....last year.

Eric The('Engrish',Anyone?)Hun

I want my flying car dammit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#32]
"I've....seen things....."
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I prefer the Director's Cut.  You can usually find it in Wal-Mart for $5.50.

The narration was truly awful in the theatrical version, and the happy ending was totally at variance with the gloomy, rainy atmosphere of the rest of the movie.  The unicorn scene is only about 10 seconds, but it is interesting.

I also have a videotape of BR from 1986 that has more graphic shots of Roy Batty putting Tyrell's eyes out.  I forget where that came from (overseas version, etc.).  There are so many different editions.

Pick up "Future Noir" if you want a great book that tells just about everything about the making of the film.  And, of course, read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", too.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I haven't bought it yet, but Ebay has a EUROPEAN version that's WITH the narration, AND with scenes added, including a Deckard visit to the hospital to see the Bladerunner shot when Leon had his little "Mother" incident at the beginning, and a bloodier version of Baty killing Tyrel.

Everyone thinks Deckard was a replicant.
I say NO, and here's why:

1. You go to the expense and effort to buy an expensive replicant to be your Bladerunner, you DON'T let him retire and walk away from the job.
The LAPD Bladerunner unit is big enough to be commanded by a police captain, and to have several members.
That means there are enough rogue "skins" running around to warrant that many people.
With business that good, you don't allow your expensive (and potentially embarrassing) illegal replicant to retire and walk.

2. If you're going to buy a replicant-hunting replicant, you need one that's going to be a match for replicants.
Replicants are stronger, tougher, and more durable than humans.
Deckard got the stuffing beat out of him, and almost got killed by ALL FOUR replicants.  He survived Baty simply because Baty chose to save him.
Zora, Leon, and Pris all almost killed him, and would have if they'd paid attention to business.

You don't go to the trouble of buying an expensive replicant that's no better than any man, especially when you've got people standing in line for the job.
Deckard was human-weak and took a real beating, even getting his butt kicked by FEMALE replicants.  

The LAPD certainly wasted their money on shoddy merchandise if Deckard was a replicant.

3. Deckard WAS a Bladerunner.  He'd KNOW if he was a replicant.  Even Rachel suspected she was a replicant.

Story-wise it makes a better story is Deckard was a replicant, by logically, he couldn't be.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I definitely like the non-directors cut better. It has a much more film noirish quality with the voice over, like an old 40's crime drama.

If you read the book first it will explain alot of the films symbolism, especially with the animals/insects.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#36]
i liked both of them! i saw it when it came out and liked the film noir voiceover and i liked the bleakness/starkness of the second one.

i want the international one, damnit!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I haven't bought it yet, but Ebay has a EUROPEAN version that's WITH the narration, AND with scenes added, including a Deckard visit to the hospital to see the Bladerunner shot when Leon had his little "Mother" incident at the beginning, and a bloodier version of Baty killing Tyrel.

Everyone thinks Deckard was a replicant.
I say NO, and here's why:

1. You go to the expense and effort to buy an expensive replicant to be your Bladerunner, you DON'T let him retire and walk away from the job.
The LAPD Bladerunner unit is big enough to be commanded by a police captain, and to have several members.
That means there are enough rogue "skins" running around to warrant that many people.
With business that good, you don't allow your expensive (and potentially embarrassing) illegal replicant to retire and walk.

That's just the point.  Deckard never retired because he was never a Blade Runner to begin with.  He was programmed to believe that he was.  Remember, Deckard was told that there were six replicants, three male and three female.  Leon, Batty, Deckard, Zhora, Pris and Rachel.  Also, replicants have a penchant for collecting photographs, because it helps them build a past for themselves.  Deckard's apartment was littered with photographs.

2. If you're going to buy a replicant-hunting replicant, you need one that's going to be a match for replicants.
Replicants are stronger, tougher, and more durable than humans.
Deckard got the stuffing beat out of him, and almost got killed by ALL FOUR replicants.  He survived Baty simply because Baty chose to save him.
Zora, Leon, and Pris all almost killed him, and would have if they'd paid attention to business.

You don't go to the trouble of buying an expensive replicant that's no better than any man, especially when you've got people standing in line for the job.
Deckard was human-weak and took a real beating, even getting his butt kicked by FEMALE replicants.  

The LAPD certainly wasted their money on shoddy merchandise if Deckard was a replicant.

3. Deckard WAS a Bladerunner.  He'd KNOW if he was a replicant.  Even Rachel suspected she was a replicant.

Story-wise it makes a better story is Deckard was a replicant, by logically, he couldn't be.

Think about it. Deckard took a brutal beating from Roy Batty and still managed to haul himself up the side of a building after hanging on with two fingers.  Also, Batty knew Deckard's name when he had never been told it.  That implies that Batty knows more about Deckard than perhaps Deckard himself.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Correction to the above:

Rachel wasn't one of the six who escaped.  One of them was electrocuted shortly after arriving on Earth.

God, I'm such a geek.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#40]
odd..."popular" topic lately....

blade runner....original or extra crispy?

My favorite thing aobut the theatrical cut is when the end credits roll to the music and you get the impression that Deckard and Rachael are flying over some frozen wasteland to start a life somewhere......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top