Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/21/2005 6:17:24 PM EDT
I was talking to a guy and he refuses to hunt with me because I don’t use the safety on ANY of my guns.
I am VERY safe in every way but I refuse to use a safety. Keep your frickin finger out of the trigger guard. If I carried my 1911 (I don’t) is about the only time I would use it.

All precautions are observed diligently with the exception of the use of the safety.

How do you feel and or what do you do.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

I don't ever put my finger inside trigger gaurd unless I'm going to fire.

Electrical sockets don't have safties, and I have yet to shock myself.

Having a child in the home does change things. I live 21 year old and two 20 year olds, so I dont have to worry about that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I still use it even though I never depend on it. Force of habit
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope.  They're a PITA.  I opt for the decocker only, if available.

I'm the safety.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost never.

Finger and muzzle discipline.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
yes, I don't rely on it, but in the case of a dropped gun for example (or a tree branch when going through brush) it's a smart thing to use
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
What safety?
<-----Glock dude!

ETA
[bhd] "Delta or no delta that's a hot weapon, you know better'n that Sergeant."  "Why this here is my safety sir"{bhd]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I'd feel unsafe with you and your  firearms. They can slip, and the trigger be hit if the safety was on your kid could go hunting with you next week. They are there for a reason. Do you wear a seat belt why?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#9]
There's also the bad guy getting the gun factor.
It may take him a extra few seconds to figure out the safety but it may be enough to go for the BUG
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm professional enough not to use my safety.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
My two Walther P99s don't have safeties  

I'm a firm believer in trigger/muzzle discipline.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes if the chamber is loaded and im not actually shooting it, the safety is always on.  Thats the way I was taught.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was talking to a guy and he refuses to hunt with me because I don’t use the safety on ANY of my guns.
I am VERY safe in every way but I refuse to use a safety. Keep your frickin finger out of the trigger guard. If I carried my 1911 (I don’t) is about the only time I would use it.

All precautions are observed diligently with the exception of the use of the safety.

How do you feel and or what do you do.

I use my finger.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yes, I don't rely on it, but in the case of a dropped gun for example (or a tree branch when going through brush) it's a smart thing to use

If you are going through thick brush or trying to manuver in a tight spot or climbing over somthing the gun should be unloaded.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
rarely

like if I'm at the range shooting and in the middle of a mag and taking a pause for some reason.

If the weapon has a decock I'll use that

ETA if I'm hunting, I'll have the safety on any time I'm moving
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes if the chamber is loaded and im not actually shooting it, the safety is always on.  Thats the way I was taught.

+ infinity
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Only in my Colt .45, condition one in the holster, draw, present ,click. It provides me with a nice thumb rest
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell yes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]
On the range I keep the action open unless im shooting+muzzle and finger discipline.

Hunting/tactical training ect, is a different story though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I use it, finger are good muzzle discipline, but I still think you should have the safety on until you're ready to shoot. If it's on, it's one more level of protection, if not, it's one less. It only takes one accident to @#$% up everything.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Not if Im by myself on the range ( private range) but if say somebody is with me, and I shoot half the mag, before I hand it off I put the safety on sometimes. My friends that I shoot with are gun people, so sometimes I just tell them "ready to go" we understand what this means.....pull the trigger and bang
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#23]
M4 yes.

M9 no.  Decock, back on fire, reholster.

ETA:  Yes, when dove or deer hunting my safety is on until I'm ready to fire.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
If the weapon has a safety I use it.  If we are not in a combat zone and I see you carrying and not using a safety.  Your going to hear about it.  It just plain stupid not to use a safety if you have one on your weapon.  Yea I saw Blackhawk Down,  My answer is still the same.

One of my first offical duties when I got to Vietnam was to box up a soldiers personal affects to send back home to his wife.  I had to take the granade and the pictures of his local Vietnamese bar girls out first.  His best firend was the one who shot him on full auto setting across the bunker from him.  He was running a mag of ammo thru the weapon by ejecting each round by pulling the charging handle back.  The finger I guess caught the trigger and death followed.

One body bag, one soldier in prison for killing his best friend.  He served 6 months and then came back to the unit.  He was so screwed up in the head that he just keep extending.  I am not sure he ever went home.  I am not sure he could.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Do you use the safety on your firearm?

Does a one-legged duck swim in circles?

Something like this was covered in the Hunting forum a coupla weeks ago. I quit hunting with a close friend because he refused to use his safety. Even after I asked him to several times.

If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing. When you have something in your hands that's capable of ending a life, is it too much to ask of you to press a button or flip a switch?

You bet I use mine, there's not a single logical reason not to.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Sig/Glock don't have one so no (chamber loaded). (Taught this way.)

AR-15---yes. (Taught this way.)

Hunting rifle---yes. (Taught this way.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#27]
P7M8 is my Carry gun, that squeesesock thing is the saftey
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
None of my handguns have them, my holster is the safty.

All of my rifles and shotguns have the safty on and finger out of trigger guard unless actual ly shooting.  Have personally witnessed unintended discharges and have a friend who was accidently shot w/a shotgun at close range (his wallet saved his life).  

No safety when hunting = you aint huntin with me.  

Going through thickets, walking diificult (muddy slippery inclined etc) terrain is axiomatic to hunting and increases the potential for accidents.  Sorry but all the reasons for not hunting with a safty on just don't cut it for me.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]

"Well, this is my safety, Sir"

But seriously, I keep my safety on. Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Fucking shit...if i wasn't drunk i would have beat you

"Well this is my safety sir!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#31]
HOOT!

What's wierd is, our friend Hoot that sounds soooooooo redneck.  Is a brit
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Challange:

Give one good reason not to keep your safty on while hunting.....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes. That is what it is there for. However,the best safety ever invented is the person holding the gun.
I also wanted to add that it doesn't take but a split second to take off the safety when I'm hunting. It is a good precaution and would sure ruin your day if you needed it and didn't have it on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are going through thick brush or trying to manuver in a tight spot or climbing over somthing the gun should be unloaded.

Where do you hunt?  Open desert?  Your logic is strange.  You will keep the weapon unloaded for safety reasons but you won't use the built-in safety.

I wouldn't hunt with you either.  Our rules here are load and lock after exiting our vehicle and before entering the brush/swamp/woods.  Unload back at the vehicle before getting in.

The guy I hunt with was in the US Army as an armorer and later SF for 10 years, is a LEO/SWAT instructor and has been hunting since he was 8 yo.  He stopped hunting with a fellow LEO because the guy was like you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#35]
The sheer mention of gLock in this thread is worthy of Nomination for the Commemorative gHey Kaboom Award and ass flogging
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I call them "maybes".  There isn't any safety device on any firearm that is 100% reliable. Use common sense.

AB
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ infinity

infinity + 1

The seatbelt in your car is there only to protect you during accidents, consider the safety on your weapon if you trip and fall pointing the weapon at someone it is less likely to go off and kill anyone stupid enough to hunt with you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Frankly, I'm stunned at the ammount of people that don't
use the mechanical safety.

Mechanical safe is one of the basic fundamentals of being safe
with firearms.

I wouldn't shoot with anyone that did not use thier safety.

Proper utilization of a safety is a learned, trained response.

It will not prevent you from getting the weapon into action, and,
it may just keep you from shooting yourself or someone else.

ETA:  Obviously if there isn't a safety/decocker on the weapon you
can't use one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#39]
1911 - Yes
PPK/S - Yes
Rifle in the stand hunting - Yes
O/U on the skeet range - No
Shotgun in the field hunting - Yes

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Glock - nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:44:44 AM EDT
[#41]
If it doesn't have a grip safety (ie 1911, XD) or a firing pin safety (ie Glock, XD, etc) or a trigger safety (ie Glock, XD, etc) what happens if you drop it?  My Rem 700 trigger will disengage in a hard wind.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Damn beat me to it

Yea I use the safety, but seriously just like on a Glock..if you pull the trigger it goes bang, If you dont pull the trigger it doesnt go bang.

Got it???

Thats how I briefed my boys on shooting the Glock, for the AR they use the safety.

And never!!!never put your finger on the trigger until its time to shoot

FREE

Quoted:
img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/738055/tn_PDVD_006.jpg

"Well, this is my safety, Sir"

But seriously, I keep my safety on. Better safe than sorry.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#43]
For weapons with a safety, USE THE SAFETY.

Logic, people, logic.  Redundant safety is a GOOD thing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I use the safety on my Browning Hi Power when I have it cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Hell yes.

This really is common sense.  When hunting, I'm not standing still out in the open - it's not my finger I'm worried about.

Then all precautions are not being observed.

Curious:  Are the people that don't use them stubborn?  Or have they had problems working with fine motor skills during moments of stress?  Have they ever taken a Hunter's Safety class?

Things like this can be worked on and improved, but I wouldn't hunt with someone that refused to use the provided finger/thumb activated safety on their firearm either.

One more thing: Eric "Hoot" Bana is notoriously anti-gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#46]
The safety is there for a reason.  If you are too lazy to use it hunting or not skilled enough to use it hunting, I do not want to be hunting with you.  I have had a few chances on birds with the shotty where I did not throw the safety enough, no kaboom.  Just makes me practice to get better.  
I always break it open when climbing over a fence or put my whole hand over the trigger guard when in thick brush.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:56:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes.  IBTP.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Some of you guys are scaring me a little...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#49]
While hunting you are careless and dangerous not to.  To many chances of brush and limbs discharging the weapon.  I agree 100% with muzzle and trigger control, but in a hunting situation there is just to many things that could happen.  I wouldn't hunt with you either.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#50]
For my carry weapon no, because I carry a Glock or a SIG. On all my long arms yes. I am very well disciplined when it comes to keeping my finger off the trigger, but I just like knowing that the safety is engaged if there is one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top