Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 3:45:57 PM EDT
I have a 4 year old full sized stacked unit.  Looks like regular washer dryer stacked.  Its made by Frigidaire.  The problem is in the dryer, the heating element smells like its burning.  Also, its on all the time no matter what temp setting is at and there is a rattling sound as if part of the element fell off.  

Any help here would be great,  Joe

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You could have a shorted element. just replace it. And if it [element] stays on all the time DO NOT USE THE DRYER. Mine almost caught on fire this summer from the same thing and I caught it just in time. Smoke was billowing out from the vent and the dryer was so hot it could not be touched for almost an hour. If there had been lint buildup [I keep my lint trap and vent clean] I'm pretty sure it would have gone up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
yup, heating element is very easy to replace.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Frigid-scare are not too bad to replace the coil. If its the coil one that is in the back that you have to thread through porcelain loops, START with the middle loop and work your way back to the terminals. I found that if you start with one of the terminals then thread the element through, it wont be even thus creating "hot spots" and lessen the life of the element. If it is the box element already wired, all you have to do is plug it in... you are good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top