Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:40:10 AM EDT
and pay money to see them.  They tell you to do something to improve your health and you fail to follow through.  

Why bother then?  Why do you guys even pay for insurance if you are going to do anything you want to do anyway?  You smoke, you overeat, dont come to appointments, fail to show for tests, dont take your medicine, take other peoples medicine, scream for pain medicine, drink too much alcohol, do street drugs.

Why? Why? Why?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Freedom of choice?

They choose to be stupid.

ETA what'sa matter doc? Another skank come in with a recurrent infection?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Just because we like to come see you!  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
LMAO

Not a week goes by without one or two "emergencies" that I suggested we deal with months (or years) ago, and now they are in pain, or infected, or disfigured, or otherwise incapacitated, and the treatment is always more complicated, and expensive, and bigger deal than it would have been.

People just never listen.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
and pay money to see them.  They tell you to do something to improve your health and you fail to follow through.  

Why bother then?  Why do you guys even pay for insurance if you are going to do anything you want to do anyway?  You smoke, you overeat, dont come to appointments, fail to show for tests, dont take your medicine, take other peoples medicine, scream for pain medicine, drink too much alcohol, do street drugs.

Why? Why? Why?

Just think of it as job security!
Rich V
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#5]
This 350lb lady was impregnated by some fool.  She fails to keep her appointments and get her tests done.

She is not my patient. I dont even know her name. But her story was making the hospital rounds today.

So she fails her sugar test but fails to follow through and does not take her 3 hour test.  She also doesnt listen to the doc and eats a significant portion of the food supply in the Detroit area.  

She stops coming to her prenatal visits because the doc is pestering her to take her tests and to alter her behavior.

She hasnt been to the office since Halloween.

She comes in last week and the baby is dead.

Its almost 13 pounds so they cant get the baby out.

Its stuck with only the head poking out of her coochie.

But since its dead anyway, they fracture a clavicle to allow it to dislodge but it doesnt work.  They had to break the other one as well before it came out.

all of this could have been prevented with proper follow up.  And guess who is going to get a call?  Yup the ambulance chaser.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This 350lb lady was impregnated by some fool.  She fails to keep her appointments and get her tests done.

She is not my patient. I dont even know her name. But her story was making the hospital rounds today.

So she fails her sugar test but fails to follow through and does not take her 3 hour test.  She also doesnt listen to the doc and eats a significant portion of the food supply in the Detroit area.  

She stops coming to her prenatal visits because the doc is pestering her to take her tests and to alter her behavior.

But since its dead anyway, they fracture a clavicle to allow it to dislodge but it doesnt work.  They had to break the other one as well before it came out.

all of this could have been prevented with proper follow up.  And guess who is going to get a call?  Yup the ambulance chaser.

HOLY CRAP, I 'm glad I'm not a doctor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
LMAO

Not a week goes by without one or two "emergencies" that I suggested we deal with months (or years) ago, and now they are in pain, or infected, or disfigured, or otherwise incapacitated, and the treatment is always more complicated, and expensive, and bigger deal than it would have been.

Try working EMS.

Arriving at the scene of a 911 call we find the patient standing at the curb with her bags packed, ready to be admitted.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sounds like its "pink slip" time for her.  She needs psychological help along with medical help. Maybe time to see a judge?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Jeeeez.....that is nasty....how long was the baby dead? I mean was she walking around like this for a while....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMAO

Try working EMS.

Arriving at the scene of a 911 call we find the patient standing at the curb with her bags packed, ready to be admitted.

That burns my butt.  I cant believe so many people think EMS is a taxi service.  They are a limited and valuable commodity.  Real emergencies have to wait for EMS because of people like this.  Why cant she get a fucking cab and go to the hospital herself?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Damage control...  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMAO

Try working EMS.

That burns my butt.  I cant believe so many people think EMS is a taxi service.  They are a limited and valuable commodity.  Real emergencies have to wait for EMS because of people like this.  Why cant she get a fucking cab and go to the hospital herself?

Because cabs make you pay cash.  You can just ignore squad bills.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Why? Why? Why?

I may be foolish but I am going to gamble that somewhere in the original post ARDOC may really be asking a question.  First, about me, I am only guilty of 1, maybe 2, of the 9 behaviors listed as "You" above.

Second, the Doc I trusted, completely, and would have done anything he suggested retired 12 years ago.

Since then I have searched in vain for a Doc that didn't automatically suspect me of the above 9 behaviors, and probably more.  I have found only arrogant, self-absorbed pricks.  I HATE going to see them, I hate their manner, their advice, their nurses, their offices, their attitude.  I sweat for a week before an appointment.  Each of them is well educated, but lack any original thought or common sense.

I could go on, and tell a story or two.  But I won't.  There are at least two sides to every issue.

DanM
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I know exactly how you feel...God it's frustrating.  It's the very reason I quit doing brain surgery.  Well that and the fact that I'm not a doctor.  I never had a single patient regain consciousness!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I know exactly how you feel...God it's frustrating.  It's the very reason I quit doing brain surgery.  Well that and the fact that I'm not a doctor.  I never had a single patient regain consciousness!

I bet you didn't get any complaints either.

ARDOC that's a horrible story.  I was thinking the reason they do as you describe is because they're weak.  BUt I guess in a whole, They were just sick.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't you doctors know that you are supposed to make stuff heal in 5 minutes, without any pain or discomfort; administered by naughty candy stripper nurses for the men and soap opera interns for the women.   Just give a shot or a pill and make the boo-boo go away.  Surgery for traumatic, longterm or otherwise life altering injury or illness only happens to other people or on TV, it will never happen to the average person, just ask them.  Why should they listen to you, those things you did in the office or ER made them feel better already, so it must be Miller time when they get home.  Those meds you prescribed can be traded for better pain killers to the guy on the corner at a slighty higher exchange rate, and since Medicaid, Medicare, insurrance or the city/state gave them out nobody will notice.  And it's all Bush's fault becasue he wants to destroy Social Security.

Nasty story about the stillborn baby.  Not trying to sound cold, but it may be a blessing in disguise for the soul of the child, not to come into the world with that thing for a mother.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? Why? Why?

I may be foolish but I am going to gamble that somewhere in the original post ARDOC may really be asking a question.  First, about me, I am only guilty of 1, maybe 2, of the 9 behaviors listed as "You" above.

Second, the Doc I trusted, completely, and would have done anything he suggested retired 12 years ago.

Since then I have searched in vain for a Doc that didn't automatically suspect me of the above 9 behaviors, and probably more.  I have found only arrogant, self-absorbed pricks.  I HATE going to see them, I hate their manner, their advice, their nurses, their offices, their attitude.  I sweat for a week before an appointment.  Each of them is well educated, but lack any original thought or common sense.

I could go on, and tell a story or two.  But I won't.  There are at least two sides to every issue.

DanM

You should do what is good for you not because the doc told you to, but because its common sense.  Its amazing what people will do to themselves.  If a stranger treated you like they treat themselves you would be brought before a grand jury.

But I agree with the two sides of the story and being from both sides as well, I can tell that it is hard to find a good doc.  But I have also met a lot of patients who walk in the door with an attitude and it goes downhill from there.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
No complaints - no repeat business.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

WHY WOULD YOU ENCOURAGE THIS TRASH TO HAVE OFFSPRING!!! I'M HAPPY SHE MISSED HER APPOINTMENTS,  I'M GLAD THAT BABY IS DEAD... BETTER THAN BEING HELD UP BY IT AT GUN POINT 15 YEARS FROM NOW!!!  

though it would make a good draw down story in the future...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHY WOULD YOU ENCOURAGE THIS TRASH TO HAVE OFFSPRING!!! I'M HAPPY SHE MISSED HER APPOINTMENTS,  I'M GLAD THAT BABY IS DEAD... BETTER THAN BEING HELD UP BY IT AT GUN POINT 15 YEARS FROM NOW!!!  

You sound like an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#21]
that's major fooked up
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I have changed my primary care physician 6 times in last 8 or 9 years because they were all pricks.  

Every time I go to my appointment I have to wait minimum 30 minutes or more in the waiting area.  Once I'm in the examination room I wait another 10-15 minutes for a nurse to come in and take my temp, BP, etc.  Another 15-20 minutes goes by before the Dr. comes in he sees me for about 5 minutes... and then goes out.  Now I have to go down the hall and wait 30 minutes to get blood test.  So I go to the Dr. office at 7:45 AM for an 8:00 AM appointment and by the time I leave its 10:30.  I wasted almost 3 hours to see the Dr. for 5 minutes.

Few years ago I went in for a 9:00 AM appointment and when I was walking to the office I saw my Dr. sitting at the cafe with a drug rep. (she was hot ).  I wait for over an hour and asked the nurse what the delay was and I was told the Dr. had an emergency with another patient in the back room.  I got pissed waiting so long so I walked out and was walking to my car and when I walked by the cafe again he was still there with the hot drug rep.

Next day I sent them an invoice for 1 hour of my wasted time ($40) and my explaination for the bill.  Needless to say they never paid it and I never went back.

Sorry for the rant.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sound like an idiot.

All the cool kids use all caps and huge fonts...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What was this woman's race?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I think I'll need a visit to the ol' doc after that story . . . for stomach medicine
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Tie her fuckin' tubes.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Why don't you quit preaching at me doc.

Just give me that pill that'll make me feel 19 again. You know the one....

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes, LOVE the patients who think it will get better....Diabetic, PVD, ulcer on their foot...they come in a couple of weeks later with gas gangrene and can't understand why you can't just give them an antibiotic and make it better.   Or the post-op patient who wears a hole in the bottom of their cast, but looks you straight in they eye and says they stayed off of it just like you told them to....

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMAO

Try working EMS.

Ahh yes... the positive samsonite sign.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Why? Why? Why?

And then they end up in my hospital, where I have to x-ray their 750 pound ass, clean up their vomit/piss/shit/lung butter, and then watch gifted surgeons spend hours of their time to "fix" them, only to see the person continue to engage in the same behavior that got them in here in the first place.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I think the reason is that human nature is impossible to change and human behaviour is difficult to change.  Making lifestyle changes, even ones you know you should do, are very hard.

About 2 years ago my Dr told me I needed to lose weight.  I was 6'2 and 216 lbs, not grossly over weight but had a gut.  Now my Dr is a big guy, about 6'4 and at least 60 lbs overweight.  I went back 4 months later, height had not changed , but I was 185 lbs.  He was very congratulatory, and I said something like, "Don't you love it when your patients do what you say."  He said, "Yes, now I just got to make myself do the same thing".  So here is an example of an educated person, a Dr, who knows what he should be doing, yet is struggling with it.

Lifestyle changes are hard and I still fight the battle everyday.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sound like an idiot.

I'm sure he is an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#33]
"So you go to a doctor",

and wait and wait and wait and fucking wait, because his office administrator has given instructions to book four patients every 15 minutes. C'mon Doc, get on their ass about this kind of shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
"So you go to a doctor",

and wait and wait and wait and fucking wait, because his office administrator has given instructions to book four patients every 15 minutes. C'mon Doc, get on their ass about this kind of shit.

Blame you insurance for that one.  Most docs need to see 1 patient every 10 to break even.  Thats the problem.  If they paid what you billed I would LOVE to spend an hour with a patient.  It would be great.  When I started thats what I did.  I would have 5 patients to see the entire day and I would see them 30-60 minutes.  But reality is that you need to pay bills.  So I bill $1 and get a check for $.40.  What can you expect?

Now if you want to pay me cash on the barrelhead, I will see you on your schedule and we will give you that full hour.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Doctors do have a choice with patients who don't go with the program - they can "discharge" them as a patient.  I have seen it done by doctors for fairly minor stuff.

EMS in our area is commonly used as a taxi service, with calls like "has a temperature", "upset stomach", etc.  Wife and I are waiting someday for the "has chapped lips" call.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Why don't you quit preaching at me doc.

Just give me that pill that'll make me feel 19 again. You know the one....

Kev, I have a bunch of the sample magic blue pills left over.  IM me and I will send you a Christmas present.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]
ARDOC:
According to transactional awareness (Steiner, Scripts People Live), basically, they want the attention.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
ARDOC:
According to transactional awareness (Steiner, Scripts People Live), basically, they want the attention.

Kharn

Yup. An extreme would be munchausen by proxy. I have seen it first hand.  But I think they are just ignorant and dont give a shit. Thats more of the truth then anything else.  But the problem is that all changes when the cunt lawyer gets involved.  All of a sudden the druggie child abuser is a model citizen and actually brushes her hair.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF does that matter?  

Assholes come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

I know.

I am just curious.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF does that matter?  

Assholes come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.

I know.

I am just curious.

Actually I dont know. I dont think matters really.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Why? Why? Why?

If docs are free to kill 120,000 people a year through errors, why are you so concerned with suicidal/stupid patients.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? Why? Why?

If docs are free to kill 120,000 people a year through errors, why are you so concerned with suicidal/stupid patients.

Here we go again.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#44]
13 lbs?  Damn.  I mean, damn.  

To answer your original question, I don't think this woman paid for anything.  Taxpayers did.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
This 350lb lady.... <snip>

I think the quote says enough...   except for a rare few exceptions, you got to be a bit irresponsible and insensible to weigh in at 350#'s as a female.

Too bad an innocent child had to pay....

but its a choice not a child anyways right
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like its "pink slip" time for her.  She needs psychological help along with medical help. Maybe time to see a judge?

Sounds like she needs to be charged with murder if you ask me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This 350lb lady.... <snip>

I think the quote says enough...   except for a rare few exceptions, you got to be a bit irresponsible and insensible to weigh in at 350#'s as a female.

Too bad an innocent child had to pay....

but its a choice not a child anyways right

350 is no way near the biggest.  Our OR beds are called Hercules 8000 or something like that and they have a limit of 350 pounds.  We had one that estimated weight of 450-480.  She was pregnant and couldnt push the baby out.  She had to have c-section on her hospital bed because she broke the regular OR table.

What is interesting and Greywolf will love this one.  Our CTs and MRIs also have a limit.  The person has to fit in the ring for it work.  So the really large ones are sent to the Detroit zoo so we can use their machine that they use for hippos and elephants.  The patients get quite upset when we tell them where they have to go.  But you got to do what you got to do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Now if you want to pay me cash on the barrelhead, I will see you on your schedule and we will give you that full hour.  

BS I call...

I don't got no stinking insurance... My wife and child still wait hours to see a medical professional and it always costs a min of $100 but usually more.

They get no more than 10 minutes with them.  

We pay by check before we leave the lobby.

I'm not a alone...  many of my friends only have catestrophic coverage and do the same.

BS!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd like to mention that not all people are this way.  Some just can't afford to do the right thing.  Or much less have insurance.  Most of my adult life has been spent just above the cut off for government insurance care.  Do you think I can afford to run to the doctor for every little scrape or sniffle.  No, I waited until I was in extreme pain, more than child labor, to go to the doctor.  Now I try to do what my dr. says.  This is the first one I've ever had that I liked.  (read military drs.)  But I can't afford to come in for the once a year screening or whatnot.  I'm only going in if I think I'm dying.  Otherwise I do my best to keep myself and my family healthy.  But it isn't easy when fresh fruits and veggies cost more than prepackaged crap.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Doc,

My mangina has been aching for about a week now.  It is all reddish-purple and swollen.  I have had this condition before but seems to go away after I have some pie.  What do you think my problem is.  I can't afford to go see a doctor so...  can I have some free advice?

Lawdog
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top