Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 11:17:06 AM EDT

Last minute shopping for a phone and plan for my daughter so she can pay her own damn way with her own damn phone.

Any advice on the best deal on these things?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
you could pick one up fast but they get very expensive especially if you like to talk on your cell like girls do.

10cents a minute~!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
you could pick one up fast but they get very expensive especially if you like to talk on your cell like girls do.

10cents a minute~!

None is the answer.

Get a plan with Tons of minutes and forget about it = Cheapest way to go. Period.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
www.stimobile.com/

Staples had phone on sale, where you pay for the phone ($99.99) then get a 100% rebate
that you can do online. You get it after 90 days. 12 cents a min. peak, $.10/ nights and weekends.
Minutes (off of a card) DON'T EXPIRE, EVER. Must use once every 60 days, which means ONE
phone call every 60 days to stay active. If you let your minutes expire you have 14 days to put
more minutes on the phone, ( I've seen $25 & $50 cards at staples) or you lose the number.
$4.95 activation fee, NO daily access fee. It's on the SPRINT network, YMMV.

I figure I've got a new phone, no bill, I'll use it for 90 days, get my rebate and decide if it works
for me. You can also transfer an old number to it but that old account must be paid off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

10cents a minute~!

None is the answer.

Get a plan with Tons of minutes and forget about it = Cheapest way to go. Period.

+1

I did the pre-paid thing for a while but now I have a "normal" plan and I can't imagine going back.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
None is the answer.

What if you only use 20 minutes a month?  I can't stand the fact that I can't find a cell phone plan with less than about 500 minutes.  All I want is about 50.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
DUPE x5

Get T-Mobile if they have good coverage in your area, otherwise TracFone/Net 10
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
None is the answer.

What if you only use 20 minutes a month?  I can't stand the fact that I can't find a cell phone plan with less than about 500 minutes.  All I want is about 50.

T-Mobile's Basic plan has 60 "anytime" minutes and 500 "night and weekend" minutes for $20 a month.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
None is the answer.

get the cingular .25 cent a minute plan and buy $25 cards (100 minute) they last for 3 months so it works out to after tax cost of about $9 month (NY sales tax). If you are like me and don't use it much it is a GREAT deal (minutes do rollover if you recharge before they expire.

There are some other plans that are a little cheaper but at least around where I live their service is crap. I think virgin, and tracphone might be slightly cheaper but like I said cingular has WAY better coverage than any of those other ones.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
None is the answer.

get the cingular .25 cent a minute plan and buy $25 cards (100 minute) they last for 3 months so it works out to after tax cost of about $9 month. If you are like me and don't use it much it is a GREAT deal (minutes do rollover if you recharge before they expire.

There are some other plans that are a little cheaper but at least around where I live their service is crap. I think virgin, and tracphone might be slightly cheaper but like I said cingular has WAY better coverage than any of those other ones.

Trac Phone coverage is the same as Cingular's because it uses the Cingular/AT&T network.  Virgin Mobile is on Sprint's network.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
None is the answer.

get the cingular .25 cent a minute plan and buy $25 cards (100 minute) they last for 3 months so it works out to after tax cost of about $9 month. If you are like me and don't use it much it is a GREAT deal (minutes do rollover if you recharge before they expire.

Trac Phone coverage is the same as Cingular's because it uses the Cingular/AT&T network.  Virgin Mobile is on Sprint's network.

Just double checked it Tracfone is more anyways unless you get the one year cards in which case you get much less airtime. I went on a prepaid plan back in sept, I'm slowly begining to remember why I went throuogh with the choices I made again :)

Unless the coverage maps are BS the areas they show that they cover are quite different. (each has their own area that is covered better.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
None is the answer.

T-Mobile's Basic plan has 60 "anytime" minutes and 500 "night and weekend" minutes for $20 a month.

I gotta check to see if Verizon has something similar.  Cingular coverage is bad around here and Verizon rules.

I have a 400 minute + free nights/weekends plan.  On a normal month, I will use 50-100 minutes.  Also, a lot of my friends like to text message instead of talking, so that's even fewer minutes used.  I pay around $40/mo for cell service.  That's a lot of money going to waste.  

If I could get a Verizon phone that was pre-paid at 10 cents per minute, I'd be there in two blinks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top