Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 5:15:55 AM EDT
I post this once a year around this time for a few reasons.

One, so those that have never read this account of monsters will get a chance to.

Two, so the victims are remembered.

Three, so that you understand (if you don't already) that evil can find you in a nice place, in your home, or anywhere you least expect it.
This is a reminder to stay vigilant and never surrender no matter what.

www.newnation.org/NNN-wichita.html

On September 9 [2002], Reginald Carr and his brother Jonathan go on trial for what has become known as the Wichita Massacre. The two Black men are accused of a week-long crime spree that culminated in the quadruple homicide of four young Whites in a snowy soccer field in Wichita, Kansas. In all, the Carr brothers robbed, raped or murdered seven people. They face 58 counts each, ranging from first-degree murder, rape, and robbery to animal cruelty. Prosecutors will seek the death penalty.

Victims of violence: (from left to right) Jason Befort; Brad Heyka; Aaron Sander; Heather Muller.

The only survivor of the massacre is a woman whose identity has been protected, and who is known as H.G. In statements to police and in testimony at an April 2001 preliminary hearing, the 25-year-old school teacher offered horrible details of what happened on the night of Dec. 14, 2000. That evening, a Thursday, H.G. went to spend the night at the home of her boyfriend, Jason Befort. Mr. Befort, 26, a science teacher and coach at Augusta High School, lived in a triplex condo with two college friends: Bradley Heyka, 27, a financial analyst, and Aaron Sander, 29, who had recently decided to study for the priesthood.
When H.G. arrived with her pet schnauzer Nikki around 8:30 p.m., her boyfriend Mr. Befort was not there, but the two roommates were. A short time later, Mr. Sander's former girlfriend, Heather Muller, a 25-year-old graduate student at Wichita State University who worked as a church preschool teacher, joined them. At about 9 p.m., H.G. went to her boyfriend's ground-floor bedroom to grade papers and watch television. Mr. Befort came home from coaching a basketball practice around 9:15, and at 10:00, H.G. decided to go to bed. Before joining H.G in bed, Mr. Befort made sure all the lights in the house were turned off and all the doors were locked. Mr. Sander was sleeping on a couch in the living room while his former girlfriend slept in the second ground-floor bedroom. Mr. Heyka slept in a room in the basement.

Shortly after 11 p.m., the porch light came back on, to the surprise of Mr. Befort, who was still awake. H.G. says that seconds later she heard voices, then shouting. Her boyfriend cried out in surprise as someone forced open the door to the bedroom. H.G saw "a tall black male standing in the doorway." She didn't know how the man got into the house, and police investigators have not said how they think the Carrs got in.

She says the man, whom she later identified as Jonathan Carr, ripped the covers off the bed. Soon, another Black man brought Aaron Sander in from the living room at gunpoint and threw him onto the bed. H.G. saw that both men were armed. She said they wanted to know who else was in house, and the terrified Whites told them about Mr. Heyka in the basement and Miss Muller in the other ground-floor bedroom. The intruders brought them into Mr. Befort's bedroom.

Image: Jonathan Carr

The Carrs asked if the victims had ATM cards. Reginald Carr then took the victims one at a time to ATM machines in Mr. Befort's pickup truck, starting with Mr. Heyka. While Reginald Carr was away with Mr. Heyka, Jonathan Carr brought H.G. out of the closet to the wet bar, raped her, and sent her back to the closet. Reginald Carr returned with Mr. Heyka, and ordered Mr. Befort to go with him. Mr. Heyka was put back in the closet but said nothing about his trip to the ATM machine. Mr. Sander asked Mr. Heyka if they should try to resist, assuming they would be killed anyway, but Mr. Heyka did not reply. While Reginald Carr was away with Mr. Befort at the cash machine, Jonathan Carr ordered Heather Muller out of the closet and raped her.

Image: Reginald Carr, syphilitic rapist.

When Reginald Carr returned with Mr. Befort, H.G. volunteered to go next. Mr. Carr let her put on a sweater, but nothing else, and said he liked seeing her with no underwear. He ordered her to drive the truck to a bank, and told her not to look at him as he crouched in the back seat. "I asked him if he was going to hurt us and he said, 'No,' " she says. "I said, 'Do you promise you're not going to kill us?' and he said, 'Yes.' "

H.G. got money from the cash machine and adds, "On the way back, he said he wished we could've met under different circumstances. He said I was cute, and we probably would've hit it off." When the two got back to the house, Reginald Carr raped H.G. and ejaculated in her mouth. Jonathan Carr raped Miss Muller again, and then he raped H.G. one more time. Afterwards, the intruders ransacked the house looking for money. They found a coffee can containing an engagement ring Jason Befort had bought for his girlfriend. "That's for you," he told H.G., "I was going to ask you to marry me." That is how H.G. learned her boyfriend planned to propose to her the following Friday, Dec. 22.

At one point, says H.G., Reginald Carr "said something that scared me. He said 'Relax. I'm not going to kill you yet.'"

The Final Ride

The Carrs led the victims outside into the freezing night. At midnight it had been 17.6 degrees, and there was snow on the ground. The Carrs let the women wear a sweater or sweatshirt, but they were barefoot, and naked from the waist down. The men were marched into the snow completely naked. The Carrs tried to force all the victims into the trunk of Aaron Sander's Honda Accord, but realized five people would not fit, and made only the men get into the trunk. Reginald Carr ordered H.G. to join him in Mr. Befort's truck, and Jonathan Carr drove the Accord with the three men in the trunk and Miss Muller inside. As Mr. Carr drove her off, H.G. noted the time: It was 2:07 a.m., three hours since the ordeal began.

After a short drive, both vehicles stopped in an empty field. Reginald Carr ordered H.G. to go sit with Miss Muller in Mr. Sander's car. A moment later, she saw the men line up in front of the Honda. In her testimony H.G. said, "I turned to Heather and said, 'They're going to shoot us.'"  Heather Muller, "described as vivacious and charitable by those who knew her through her talent for music, her dedication to church and a desire to help children" (Wichita Eagle).

Image: Heather Muller

The Carr brothers ordered H.G. and Miss Muller out of the car. Miss Muller stood next to Mr. Sander, her former boyfriend, while H.G. stood beside her boyfriend, Mr. Befort. The Carrs ordered them to turn away and kneel in the snow. "As I was kneeling, a gun shot went off," says H.G. "[Then] I heard Aaron [Sander] .... I could distinguish Aaron's voice. He said, 'Please, no sir, please.' The gun went off."

H.G. heard three shots before she was hit: "I felt the bullet hit the back of my head. It went kind of gray with white like stars. I wasn't knocked unconscious. I didn't fall forward. Then someone kicked me, and I had fallen forward. I was playing dead. I didn't move. I didn't want them to shoot me again."

As H.G. lay in the snow, the Carrs drove off in Jason Befort's pickup, running over the victims as they left. H.G. says she felt the truck hit her body, too.

"I waited until I couldn't hear any more," she says. "Then I turned my head and saw lights going. I looked at everyone. Everyone was face down. Jason [Befort] was next to me. I rolled him over. There was blood squirting everywhere, so I took my sweater off and tied it around his head to try and stop it. He had blood coming out of his eyes."

In the distance, H.G. saw Christmas lights. Barefoot and naked, with a bullet wound in the head, she managed to walk more than a mile in the freezing cold, through snow, across a field and construction site, around a pond, and through the brush, until she reached the house with the lights. She pounded frantically on the door and rang the doorbell until the young married couple who lived there woke up. "Help me, help me, help me," she pleaded. "We've all been shot. Three of my friends are dead." (At the time, H.G. thought her boyfriend was still alive.)

The couple wrapped H.G. in blankets, and reached for the phone to dial 911, but she would not let them call. She was afraid she would die, and wanted to tell what had happened. She described the attackers and what they did, as the couple listened in amazement at her courage and determination. Only when she was sure they knew her story did she let them call the police. Still thinking she would die, she asked them to call her mother -- "Tell her I love her" -- and her boyfriend's parents. She was worried about the children she teaches, and kept wondering "Who's going to take care of the kids in school?"

When the police arrived they questioned H.G. briefly before paramedics took her to the hospital. From her description of Mr. Befort's truck, they were able to get the license plate number from the vehicle's registration records, and put out an alert. As dawn broke, radio and television stations were broadcasting the plate number.

H.G. did not know that after the Carrs shot her friends they drove back to the triplex and loaded Mr. Befort's truck with everything of value they could find. They also committed their final killing. The police found H.G.'s pet schnauzer, Nikki, lying in a pool of blood on a bed.

By 7:30 a.m., police had a report that the missing truck was outside a downtown apartment building, and that a Black man had been carrying a television set up to one of the apartments. The police moved in to seal off the area. Two officers knocked on the door of the apartment, and after several minutes a White woman named Stephanie Donly opened the door. She was Reginald Carr's girlfriend, and shared her apartment with him. Police caught Mr. Carr as he tried to slip out a window.

The police learned from Miss Donly that Reginald's brother Jonathan was driving a late model Plymouth Fury. Shortly after 12:00 p.m. they found the car parked outside a house in a Black part of town. Jonathan Carr was there with his girlfriend of a few days, Tronda Green. He bolted when he saw the police, but was caught after a short chase. Fewer than 12 hours after the murders, Reginald and Jonathan Carr were both in custody.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I disagree with you on some issues, but this is most definitely NOT one of them.

I lived in Wichita when this happened.  This crime still sickens me as if it happened yesterday.

Every time I see the faces of those two animals, I know that I would pull the trigger on their melons, making them explode without a second of remorse.

You are right on the point about evil finding its way to the doors of the "upscale", "safe", and "quiet" neighborhoods.  The Carr animals lived in one of the worst shitholes of Wichita and committed their crimes in some of the nicest parts of the city.

To this day I do not open the door unless I am armed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Thank you for posting this jrzy - I never forget this massacre or the subhuman animals who did it.

Sadly, these shitbags will never get what they deserve. Kansas outlawed the death penalty and so they will live well in prison - all at taxpayer expense.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank you for posting this jrzy - I never forget this massacre or the subhuman animals who did it.

Sadly, these shitbags will never get what they deserve. Kansas outlawed the death penalty and so they will live well in prison - all at taxpayer expense.

Hopefully they will meet a Dalhmer-like ending in prison.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope so too - but I don't think so.

A couple of brothas who rape and kill a bunch of whities... in prison, that's almost as good as killing a cop. They'll probably be "respected" by all the other thugs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope so too - but I don't think so.

A couple of brothas who rape and kill a bunch of whities... in prison, that's almost as good as killing a cop. They'll probably be "respected" by all the other thugs.

According to those who work within these houses of murder only one of them needs to fuck up and they will both meet the same fate.
The unwritten rules in there would never allow the other brother to live if they kill one they will kill both.
Otherwise the one left alive would seek revenge.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lets hope so. The sooner the better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:Kansas outlawed the death penalty

When THE FUCK did THAT happen?!?

I'd love to do a Sacrface on them
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:Kansas outlawed the death penalty

When THE FUCK did THAT happen?!?

I'd love to do a Sacrface on them

A pair of pliers and a blow torch come to mind also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top