Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:08:08 PM EDT
1. King Kong - The 1933 original is one of my all time favorite films and I've been looking forward to this release all year long. Having seen a few previews and read a few reviews I think I am going to be dissapointed given the matrix style effects and ridiculous fight scenes. I'm gonna try and see it and just have fun with it without too many expectations.

2. Memoirs Of A Geisha - Haven't read the book but the chick looks kinda interesting. Story seems to promise a watchable movie and as I will be taking the wife maybe one thing will lead to another. Possible danger of the whole thing being a chick movie.

3. Munich - Looks really interested, especially after having seen the documentary "A Day in September." Could be a really great movie or it might just be an updated version of "Sword of Gideon."

So which one should I go to?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I may try and see Munich this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I just saw AeonFlux.  Fuckers wanted $9 for a medium coke/medium popcorn combo.  I walked away like this .  That's the last time I go to a Regal cinema.  Have to damn near be royalty to afford it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
syriana is pretty good too... I'm checking out munich
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
King Kong was good, I liked it. I thought the effects were realistic enough, but not really matrix-like.
The over 3 hour run time goes by real quick.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
King Kong was absolutely incredible. It's simply amazing what can be done now with computer animation and effects.

I also watched the making of King Kong on HBO. It was just a short 20 minute deal, but it was very cool, and they actually spent a year working on just 1930's New York City, pulling all kinds of old photos to rebuild the city in a computer animated virtual world as well as various sets with antique cars, etc.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Munich looks good
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
King Kong was absolutely incredible. It's simply amazing what can be done now with computer animation and effects.

I also watched the making of King Kong on HBO. It was just a short 20 minute deal, but it was very cool, and they actually spent a year working on just 1930's New York City, pulling all kinds of old photos to rebuild the city in a computer animated virtual world as well as various sets with antique cars, etc.

- rem

I am actually really glad they made it a period film.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]
King Kong was good and all - but feel free to miss the entire first 45 minutes - it's all just useless background.  In fact that movie could have easily been two hours instead of three and it would have been the perfect remake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Choice 4- The Ringer. A Farrelly brother's (Dumb and Dumber) movie where a man pretends to be handicapped to compete in the Special Olympics...the script practically writes itself.

ETA-Before anyone gets their panties in a twist, the Special Oympics participated in the movie, they casted a number of Special Olympians and the Special Olympics website is endorsing the movie.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Of those, I'd see King Kong.  It has its weaknesses, but it's definitely worth seeing on a big screen.  Munich can wait for DVD.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
2. Memoirs Of A Geisha - Haven't read the book but the chick looks kinda interesting. Story seems to promise a watchable movie and as I will be taking the wife maybe one thing will lead to another. Possible danger of the whole thing being a chick movie.

Okay, so it IS a chick movie.

Secondly and maybe it only bothers me, but the chick they got is Chinese. Geishas are Japanese.

P.S. the book is good, but looong on the "feelings" if you get my drift.

See kong, at least thats what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The wifey & i will be seeing King Kong this weekend. Can't wait to see it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Whatever you do, don't see Narnia.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The wifey & i will be seeing King Kong this weekend. Can't wait to see it.

It's awesome....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It wasn't bad.  Good kids movie anyway.  I took my 9 year old to see it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#16]
We are going to see King Kong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The movie was surprisingly pro-fur.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Definately King Kong. I thought it was going to be bad at first, especially compared to the original, but it was surprisingly good
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, so it IS a chick movie.

Secondly and maybe it only bothers me, but the chick they got is Chinese. Geishas are Japanese.

P.S. the book is good, but looong on the "feelings" if you get my drift.

See kong, at least thats what I'm doing.

Thanks, looks like it will be Kong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Brokeback Mountain?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Brokeback Mountain?

You know the funny thing will be watching straight guys  who were whipped into seeing it by their girlfriends standing in line for tickets.

So true!  One of the girls at work badgered one of her male friends (i.e. no pie) into seeing it.  I've been referring to him as the gay friend all week.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
King Kong without a doubt.  Simply an amazing movie.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't want to see King Kong, because of all the hype and advertising (like the King Kong millions) I thought it was going to suck. However, I saw it, and let me tell you, it was AWESOME. Good acting, funny in many parts, stellar effects, amazing visuals, definitely a big screen movie

. I thought some of the dialogue from some people on the boat was a little overly dramatic for the situation it was in at the time, but after watching the whole movie, it seemed to fit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top