Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:51:11 PM EDT
I'm fast growing tired of being corrected when I wish someone merry christmas.  I don't say happy holidays, because I mean merry christmas.  I am a christian man, and celebrate the birth of Jesus every year, not the recognition of a non-demoninational holiday figure.  I do not feel it is pushing my faith on others, and cannot understand where all the hatred comes from.  At the risk of sounding like a zelot, This country is losing its battle with morality.  many states now agree that same sex marriage is okay, Even some local churches have begun saying that Homosexuals can be pastors and preachers.  At bible study we read an article on a pastor in CA, who "came out" to his congregation during services, with his wife and children present.  He apoligized to his family for living a lie, and that he never really loved them.  The church gave this man a standing ovation, and was so proud of his ability to finally stand up and say who he really was.  

It just makes me sad that god seems to no longer have a place in this country
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I say Merry Christmas.

Hey Atheists: Want to piss of liberals? Say merry Christmas even if you don't belive in God. It pisses the liberals off. That's as good a reason for the season as any.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm agnostic and Merry Christmas and Christmas tree are not offensive terms in the least. I like to celebrate the winter solstice as much as the Christians do
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Take courage my friend. God still has a place in this country, in the hearts and minds and souls of thousands of believers. It may seem as if things are going down the toilet but there is always hope. All it takes is one person believeing, even that is enough. I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he came to die on the cross as the lamb of God to be sacrificed to wash away our sins and I believe that he rose from the dead after 3 days and will come again one day for his church. There are others that still believe this, no matter how much corrupton there is in the church. Stand fast and be renewed in the strength of the lord. Jesus said that we would be hated for him as he was hated and it is happening. Rejoice and take strength from the lord and know that you are not alone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard peopel tell them Merry Christmas at work, they dont catch any hell for it
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Who told you that you can not say Merry Christmas?
I say it all the time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Merry Christmas, brother!

I can say this to you, and don't give a shit what others think.

Sexual preference has no bearing on the issue, IMHO.  Let's keep that out of the discussion.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who told you that you can not say Merry Christmas?
I say it all the time.

+1 And I'm hardly a practicing Christian. That means if they don't like it they can fuck right off.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I decided last year that the Happy Holidays bullshit was over.  It's Merry Christmas to all.  If others are offended,  well.......F 'em.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm still confused about who is stopping you from saying "Merry Christmas"?  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Becuase hostile athiests know that if they can get you to say happy holidays for fear of offending them (or the scene they'll make when you offend them), then they'll have just gotten you to deny Christ.

Which will satisfy a snarky type of person like that immensely.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Merry Christmas

Happy New Year!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Happy Holy Days, Merry Jesus Christ's Birthday, Have a wonderful Winter Solstice celebration!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Merry Christmas, brother!  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm the most athiest person in the world and I have no problem saying Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm agnostic and Merry Christmas and Christmas tree are not offensive terms in the least. I like to celebrate the winter solstice as much as the Christians do

+1.

They got this backwards... It's not that you can't say Merry Christmas..... I've never been offended by someone who is celebrating Christmas saying that to me.... or someone celebrating Chanukah or Festivus, or Agnostimas, or Kwanzaa.  I generally say Happy Holidays or have a nice holiday, cause I don't necessarily don't know what you are celebrating.  Now, IF I know what you are celebrating... I will wish you well in whatever your specific belief may be... I consider it only polite. It is only the Christians who are upset that everyone is NOT saying Merry Christmas, and expect you to say it no matter what your beliefs are.  If I tell a Christian to "have a nice holiday"... they get offended!  How rediculous.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Happy Festivus!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
We'll get to the Airing of the Greivences in a moment.

I'm actually getting sick of the whining about not being able to say Merry Christmas.  Just fricking say it.  I've not had one person give me attitude for wishing them a Merry Christmas.  If you want to celebrate it, just do it.

Now go get in the Christmas spirit, dammit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I say Merry Christmas.

Hey Atheists: Want to piss of liberals? Say merry Christmas even if you don't belive in God. It pisses the liberals off. That's as good a reason for the season as any.

I'm an atheist and I say Merry Christmas.    I say God bless you  as well when people sneeze.   Some things are so ingrained they are just cultural expressions devoid of religious overtones.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
They got this backwards... It's not that you can't say Merry Christmas..... I've never been offended by someone who is celebrating Christmas saying that to me.... or someone celebrating Chanukah or Festivus, or Agnostimas, or Kwanzaa.  

Ok that is the first I have heard of Agnostimas,  can you explain that to me :)

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Happy Festivus!

For the rest of us!!!

I guess it times to air grievnaces.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is the deal guys.  You either have a more religious holiday only for christians or you have a commercial holiday.  

Frankly I could care less if someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.  If they don;t celebrate christmas I don;t need to worry about a present.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Joyeux nöel.

(Still) no problem here with the christmas tree.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They got this backwards... It's not that you can't say Merry Christmas..... I've never been offended by someone who is celebrating Christmas saying that to me.... or someone celebrating Chanukah or Festivus, or Agnostimas, or Kwanzaa.  

Ok that is the first I have heard of Agnostimas,  can you explain that to me :)

Sure, on the calendar of the Apathetic Agnostic (Motto: We don't know and we don't care) you have Agnostimas, and the 12 Day of Agnostimas are as follows:

The 12 Days of Agnostimas - December 21st to January 1st to celebrate a traditional seasonal festival.  

December 21st: Solstice - the traditional mid-winter observance (mid-summer in the Southern hemisphere)

December 22nd: Apathetic Agnostic Resurrection - commemorates the return of the Apathetic Agnostic web sites to the internet in mid-December 2002 after a three week hiatus due to technical problems. (Reference: Meditation 81) This day following Solstice is appropriate because (at least in the Northern Hemisphere where we are based) the days are now getting longer.

December 23rd: Festivus - for the rest of us. (from Seinfeld)

December 24th: Agnostimas Eve

December 25th: Agnostimas - a good day to exchange gifts with friends and relatives in a spirit of generousness, with no need to care about any religious overtones.

December 26th: Boxing Day - the true origin of the name "Boxing Day" can only be answered with absolute certainty with an "I don't know!" And that is reason enough for agnostics to celebrate it. (If you happen to accept the unproven stories that the rich folks used to give the poor folks gift boxes on this day, then be happy about it, and make sure you give out a few gift boxes to the poor.)

December 27th: Heidentag - (German for Heathen's Day) Proposed as a warm and festive occasion for getting together, gift-giving, eating comfort food (usually a lot), listening to our favorite music

December 28th: Childermas - In view of the lack of any evidence to support the horror story of Matthew 2:16, a day to commemorate the inventions and falsehoods on which religion is based! (Reference: Meditation 175)  

December 29th: Apathy Day - sated with the celebrations, feasting, and gift exchanges of the festive season, we take a day to relax, recover, and generally not care about anything. For tomorrow, we start partying again.

December 30th: Celebrate Friendship Day - to honor your friends and show the superiority of having friends instead of enemies. Created in reference to the pontifical decree Sancta Romania in 1317, in which Pope John XXII ordered the Franciscan Spiritualists to obey their superiors against their beliefs, which prompted the Spiritualists to become bitter enemies of the French pontiff by aligning with his enemy Louis IV.

December 31st: Foundation Day; to honor the 1995 foundation of the Church of the Apathetic Agnostic and / or the 1965 development of the term Apathetic Agnostic, together with "I don't know and I don't care" as a personal statement of (lack of) belief.

January 1st- Founder's Birthday

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#26]
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you.

To the rest:
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm still confused about who is stopping you from saying "Merry Christmas"?  

+1
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Happy Festivus!

Wasn't he on Gunsmoke?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:22:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Happy Festivus!

Wasn't he on Gunsmoke?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I was finishing up my Christmas shopping last weekend and ventured into Sears for a few things. Not only did all of the employees I came into contact with say "Merry Christmas", they also had signs out saying "Christmas decorations", "Merry Christmas" etc. I left one happy woman, one business anyway isn't afraid to say it. They earned alot of business from me for that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1.

My company tells us to say "Happy Holidays", but I say "Merry Christmas" all the time. No one has corrected me or become offended. If a Jew says "Happy Hannukah" to you, do you get offended, or do you smile and wish him well also?  

Happy Saturnalia, Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, whatever floats your boat. "Happy" is the operative word.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I say "Merry Christmas"...or.." have a Merry Christmas"...don't like it...tough shit...it's still the United States of America and the last time I checked I still have freedom of speech
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#34]
i work for .gov and i tell everyone "merry christmas or whatever godless pagan holiday you celebrate"...sounds good on the phone!

seriously, i tell everyone "merry christmas" unless i kow they're jewish or muslim.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I do.  Merry Christmas.

Fuck the rest of those Godless, non-believers!
Merry Christmas, see I did it again.

B_S
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#36]
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
My wife and I decided last year that the Happy Holidays bullshit was over.  It's Merry Christmas to all.  If others are offended,  well.......F 'em.

+1! I say Merry Christmas to everybody now at work and at home. "Happy Holidays" = spineless BS.

BTW I was out with my eldest son who is a Boy Scout and was selling wreaths to raise money for his troop. "Would you like to buy a holiday wreath?" "Yes", replied one guy, "but they aren't holiday wreaths, they're Christmas wreaths. No more PC, OK, kid?" My son smiled, and agreed. From then on, he sold them to people as Xmas Wreaths. He did very well.

(I wondered what the guy's ARFCOM name was....)

Funny enough, he was the only one on the Godforsaken street who bought a wreath.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
i work for .gov and i tell everyone "merry christmas or whatever godless pagan holiday you celebrate"...sounds good on the phone!

seriously, i tell everyone "merry christmas" unless i kow they're jewish or muslim.

I work for .gov too, and EVERYBODY gets "Merry Christmas" from me. I don't discriminate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#39]
HOLIDAY TREE???

This PC is BS!

and MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#40]
THIS IS A CHRISTMAS TREE!   MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

This is a CHRISTMAS TREE.

It is not a Hanukkah bush,
it is not an Allah plant,
and it is not a Holiday hedge.
it is not an Illumination tree
it is not a Holiday tree
It is a CHRISTMAS TREE.

Say it... CHRISTMAS, CHRISTMAS, CHRISTMAS

Yes.... CHRISTmas - celebrating the Birth of Jesus Christ!!!!

LET'S KEEP CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS

I work in DC and say Merry Christmas on purpose every chance I get, to everyone walking down the halls, that an a little  ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ look in your eye, gives the liberals a shudder and I get a weak happy holiday response at the very least, sometimes a timid Merry Christmas response. Got to love my right to free speech and having no fear to use it every chance I get.

Merry Christmas to all and God Bless everyone!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Happy RamaHanaKwanzmas................and Merry New Year!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm fast growing tired of being corrected when I wish someone merry christmas.  I don't say happy holidays, because I mean merry christmas.  I am a christian man, and celebrate the birth of Jesus every year, not the recognition of a non-demoninational holiday figure.  I do not feel it is pushing my faith on others, and cannot understand where all the hatred comes from.  At the risk of sounding like a zelot, This country is losing its battle with morality.  many states now agree that same sex marriage is okay, Even some local churches have begun saying that Homosexuals can be pastors and preachers.  At bible study we read an article on a pastor in CA, who "came out" to his congregation during services, with his wife and children present.  He apoligized to his family for living a lie, and that he never really loved them.  The church gave this man a standing ovation, and was so proud of his ability to finally stand up and say who he really was.  

It just makes me sad that god seems to no longer have a place in this country

well, if you're referring to two holidays (christmas/hanuka, kwanzaa AND the New Year) you say happy holidays. I don't understand all the whining. It comes from both sides the PC crowd and the Christians. Quit whining about it like a little kid and get on with your life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top