Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 8:16:21 PM EDT
Just started  and the first 5 minutes shows how bad the Japs were to our POW's
This movie just get's you so angry at how the Japs really were. This is a must see
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Did anyone see the cover of the DVD the soldier holding a Berretta 92F.  Little out of place don't ya think?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Would like to know how accurate the movie is. From above post seems not so good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did anyone see the cover of the DVD the soldier holding a Berretta 92F.  Little out of place don't ya think?

I noticed that too  , but watch the movie
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
They were actually worse than that.  All the horrors of the SS with out the snappy uniforms.  The things they did to entire Chinese villages is really unbelievable.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I know someone (American) that was in the Bataan Death March. Based on what he told me, the little bastards got what they deserved at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
my uncle was involved with the Philipino Militia in this raid. He was captured and tortured to death.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know someone (American) that was in the Bataan Death March. Based on what he told me, the little bastards got what they deserved at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

And he is damn right.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rented it about 3 hours ago just have not popped it in yet.  Only thing I thought worth renting this week.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rented it about 3 hours ago just have not popped it in yet.  Only thing I thought worth renting this week.

I am about 1/2 hour in to it and I hate to say but the acting isn't that great. And it seems like a small buget movie, I have noticed a lot of flaws.
I judged the whole movie by the first 5 minutes, a mistake. Jumps to much from the camp ,the nurse, tries to weave in a love story at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

haha, I noticed that at the video store today. something only arfcommers would pickup.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I liked it. Not a great movie, but I would buy the DVD for $7 at WalMart.

Any movie with Garands in it can not be all bad.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Its a cultural thing. Very Klingon like values. Once a soldier surrenders they are no longer of any value and subhuman.  You are not supposed to surrender but fight to the death.  Right or wrong thats what they believed and many died carrying out this value.

They believe there is no honor in surrendering and you deserve to die if you did.  Japanese soldiers that did get captured were not welcomed by their country and even their families.

Again its not right by our standards but they are not us and they have their own values.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:49:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I read an account of where a soldier fell (just tripped) he touched a Japanese officer as he stood up and they pulled him out of line and decapitated him on the spot.

I read up on the march of death after that and found the incident was the rule not the exception.
I've never seen the reports on the Trials after the war except for the Germans, I like to see if the scum that murdered our guys paid what they owed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Would like to know how accurate the movie is. From above post seems not so good.

the last half hour (the actual raid) was EXTREMELY accurate! i saw the history channel show on the raid and they reenacted it as well as interviewed guys who were there and the movie is dead on.

the 18 hours of the movie prior to that were boring and assinine...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Read the book Flyboys by James Bradley - author of Flag of our Fathers.  That book will make you want to declare war on Japan all over again.

American POWs were surgically dismantled without anesthetic to see how much pain a human could take.  I'm talking liver and lungs removed while fully conscious.

Many Japanese officers frequently engaged in cannabalism, especially the eating of the liver of POWs.  They believed it gave them strength.

The list goes on and on.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In '67 I had the honor to serve under CMS Causey USAF who survived the BDM. He wouldn't talk about it. Awesome individual!

Luv ya Chief!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#18]

My Dad and Uncles that served in the Pacific hate the Japanese to this day.  I'm talking serious H A T E.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My Great uncle survived the Bataan Death March,  He was never the same after that.  He would lock himself up for days at a time and weep every year or so..  Horrible what he went through.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They were actually worse than that.  All the horrors of the SS with out the snappy uniforms.  The things they did to entire Chinese villages is really unbelievable.

The lady who wrote a history of the Japanese occupation, The Rape of Nanking, was overwhelmed by it. She became so famous for it, and her life pretty much became discussing that book.  She ended up committing suicide she couldn't face spending the rest of her life thinking and talking about it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#21]
My grandfather was a 6 Bttln Ranger, "C" Company...he was one of the first Rangers thru the gates.
He is in the group photo on the cover of "Ghost Soldiers".
He was one of the 11 Rangers picked to do a War Bond tour after the raid. I have pictures of him shaking FDR's hand in the White House.

Charles Sumner "Coggie" Swain.

He had a deep hatred of the Japs after the war...until the day he died. I always thought it was biggoted of him, until I learned the atrocities committed by the Japs to POW's.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#22]
ok, so this is gonna be a japan bashing thread instead of a movie review, right?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
ok, so this is gonna be a japan bashing thread instead of a movie review, right?

Not a bashing thread of the Japanese as we know them today.
Maybe a bashing of the particular men who murdered women and children and raped same.
The Japanese we know today have very little in common with the monsters of WWII.
And by the way since when is telling the truth bashing anyone?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If the shoe fits....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:47:58 AM EDT
[#25]
because it's not saying "those japanese soldiers who raped and murdered civilians committed crimes against humanity and were scum of the earth!" it's "fucking japs, they got what they deserved when we nuked 'em and we oughta do it again!"

how about this, when the americans captured okinawa, my mom and her family were being evacuated to northern japan on a refugee/hospital train. the train was clearly marked with red crosses on the roofs yet in broad daylight, they were bombed and strafed by american fighter-bombers.

"you fucking round eye honky bastards. you should all rot in hell for what you did!" hahahaha(jk)

same thing. like you said, that was then, this is now. germany, france and russia turned their backs on us in iraq but japan has troops there. on our side. i hate to say it but it hurts a little when i hear the hate. yeah, funny, me being so thin-skinned...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#27]
The military channel did a documentary called "Raid on Cabanatuan" , excellent show, really touching
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Just watched it , as posted before can be boring in spots,  but overall a more than decent movie. Plus Connie Nielsen and Natalie Mendoza are smoking hot
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Read the book Flyboys by James Bradley - author of Flag of our Fathers.  That book will make you want to declare war on Japan all over again.

American POWs were surgically dismantled without anesthetic to see how much pain a human could take.  I'm talking liver and lungs removed while fully conscious.

Many Japanese officers frequently engaged in cannabalism, especially the eating of the liver of POWs.  They believed it gave them strength.

The list goes on and on.

I read that book too. My reaction was the same.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The Rape of Nanking:

Great book, I couldn't put it down.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I think the best part of the movie (while I like the whole thing even if it was a bit slow at times), was at the end, when they were showing the black and white footage, and up popped a clip of my grandmother in the back of a deuce an a half being rescued. I'll have to post a picture of it later today. Makes me proud she, my Pops and my two uncles had the fortitude to survive that shit. The connection to a great moment in history is humbling.

As far as the rest of the movie goes, it was kind of a mix of the rescue of two separate camps, Cabanatuan, and Los Banos. My elders were in both camps. The 11th AB jumped on Los Banos. Definitely one of the most under reported sucesses of WW2, mainly because the invasion of Iwo Jima happened at the same time. A decent book on it is "Angels at Dawn" by Lt. Gen Edward Flanagan Jr.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#32]
the J@Panese were like the "nazis" of asia

killing many innocent people with smiles on their faces, like they really enjoyed it
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My Dad and Uncles that served in the Pacific hate the Japanese to this day.  I'm talking serious H A T E.

As did my grandfather and his brother, both Army Infantry.  Absolute and pure hatred for them.  Neither would talk about the Pacific Campaign.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I plan to rent that film this weekend, the first Christmas in my life without a single living parent.

sorry to hear that...

ETA: wish they'd gona ahead and made a longer movie. i thought one of the most interesting things about the raid was the fact the task force was brought together haphazardly and turned into a cohesive fighting force by the sheer force of will of their leader (played by benjamin bratt-a brilliant bit of miscasting). the remaining members said he asked them to do the craziest shit imaginable but always did it first. i thought that would have been interesting to see in the flick.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As did my grandfather and his brother, both Army Infantry.  Absolute and pure hatred for them.  Neither would talk about the Pacific Campaign.

My dad described it recently as never being able to forgive the Japanese who are his age and older. He will never let that go, and I for one dont blame him. I would harbor the same dislike till the day I die.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
because it's not saying "those japanese soldiers who raped and murdered civilians committed crimes against humanity and were scum of the earth!" it's "fucking japs, they got what they deserved when we nuked 'em and we oughta do it again!"

how about this, when the americans captured okinawa, my mom and her family were being evacuated to northern japan on a refugee/hospital train. the train was clearly marked with red crosses on the roofs yet in broad daylight, they were bombed and strafed by american fighter-bombers.

"you fucking round eye honky bastards. you should all rot in hell for what you did!" hahahaha(jk)

same thing. like you said, that was then, this is now. germany, france and russia turned their backs on us in iraq but japan has troops there. on our side. i hate to say it but it hurts a little when i hear the hate. yeah, funny, me being so thin-skinned...

If troops from denyitland played pitch and catch with pitchforks with your infant child....I dare say you would likely hate denyitlanders till the day you die! Times are changing...history isn't. The people who lived through the second world war are dying off.

You seem to confuse today's relations with the things that happened over 60 years ago. I hold no animosity for japanese people who didn't participate in the Japanese military in WW2. The ones still living who commited the attrocities written in history are vermin still needing erradication!

You had no hand in it...so being 'thin skinned' is ludicrous. They aren't talking about you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#38]
My grandfather destroyed two japanease transport ships by direct bomb hits from his plane. I wish i knew the body count. I hope it was real high.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted: The Rape of Nanking:
If there's one thing the Japanese are good at, it's killing Chinese!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

no its a remembering thread, If we forget history, it will happen again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#41]
they made interesting rifles though

btw, my Grandfather landed on/at Okinawa.  Gave me a captured bayonet he took off a dead Japanese soldier when I was younger.  

He harbored hatred for those he was fighting AGAINST, but not at the civilians after the battle was over.  He gave some of his rations and traded a bar of soap for a flower vase because the women wouldn't take the soap for free.  He was a very religious man though, and forgiveness was one of his best qualities.

Rest in Peace Granddaddy
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
my uncle was involved with the Philipino Militia in this raid. He was captured and tortured to death.

Sorry to hear that.
Same here, except it was my Grandfather but he survived.  After the war, he became a school teacher than administrator.  Always thankful for the American G.I.'s help and deep respect for Gen. McArthur.

When I first saw this movie at the theatres I clenched my teeth and grabbed the arm rests real hard when I saw some of the atrocities they did in the movie.  Nothing compared to what I read when I was in school (Asian Studies Major).
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#43]
A friend of mine served with Merrill's Marauders in Burma. He hated the Japanese all his life.  Why? Other than fighting them, he had to cut his buddy down from a tree to which he had been tied.  The Japanese had used Vince's buddy for bayonet practice after they captured him. Said it was the hardest thing he ever had to do.  BTW, Vince was a muleskinner.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:35:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
A friend of mine served with Merrill's Marauders in Burma. He hated the Japanese all his life.  Why? Other than fighting them, he had to cut his buddy down from a tree to which he had been tied.  The Japanese had used Vince's buddy for bayonet practice after they captured him. Said it was the hardest thing he ever had to do.  BTW, Vince was a muleskinner.

Tough bunch of guys they were....my grandfather was one as well....I still have his "muleskinner" pin.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:i hate to say it but it hurts a little when i hear the hate. yeah, funny, me being so thin-skinned...

hc1775,

Please note where the 'hate' has come from. It's the generation that had to survive/observe the atrocities that are well documentated. My dad had a deep and rarely exposed dislike for the 'Japs'. He held that dislike till his death this year. Was my dad a bigot? Nope, he was a surviver of war.

Get mugged one time and see how your feelings evolve. Our dads and grandfathers are/were humans as we are. Life experiences can overwhelm education, social status, religion and upbringing in a way that no other influence can approach.

So I guess what I'm saying is we were not in the boots/aircraft/tanks/ships of our brave and patriotic sires.

Lose the thin-skin and realize that most of us can put history in its proper perspective.  Those who lived that history may not be able to do the same. Remember 9/11?

Merry Christmas and may next year be greater than this one!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#46]
My boy, who is home on leave just rented it last night.

He and I thought it was a good movie.

GM

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And he is damn right.

+1
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And he is damn right.

Research "Rape of Nanking".  The Japanese had it coming, I hate to say.  Also research "Unit 731"

Unit 731

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Rape of Nanking

www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/genocide/nanking.htm

They killed 300,000 civilians in the worst ways imaginable in a 6 week period.  300,000 is also approximately the total deaths in Hiroshima and Nagasaki after the bombs were dropped, which is no coincidence in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top