Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 3:00:30 PM EDT
I got a used one on the net locally for $500 (deluxe model - $2400 new - catalytic, blower, etc.)  I don't really NEED it for heating, but I actually enjoy cutting firewood, have access to a free supply, and like the feel and smell of wood.

So I quickly learn that to install a SS through the roof chimney will be $2000-3000 with an 8 week lead time (I live in a large midwestern city).  Nix that.

Fortunately, I recently replaced an old gas furnace with a new PVC vented one, so I now have the furnace chimney in the basement (alongside the fireplace chimney) open.  

Most contractors agree that I can vent a woodstove through that (not sure of the flue size, but the furnace had a 6" pipe going to it;  looks like it is terracotta lined; house built in 1948).  However, one very nice contractor told me "just hook it up youself" to the existing chimney.  Other contractors have insisted that it's all but gospel that I need to spend upwards of $2600 to have a SS liner put in - so we're back to the drawing board.

I understand that this would be the "optimal" thing to do, but I'm not sure it's worth the cost.  I have tried to find statistics on chimney fires, but they're scarce.  I did find that there are a BUNCH of x-mas tree fires each year, and you don't see people fretting about putting up a tree like the fretting about a chimney fire, and personally, I'll get more use out of my wood stove than my x-mas tree, so maybe I should dispense with the latter, install the stove myself and call it a day.

I have a feeling that this is like smoke detectors - millions of people have to spend $40 for millinos of detectors to save one life.  They would be better off jogging a mile each day and taking their risk with the fire.  But I'm not talking about $40 of detectors, I'm talking about $2600 of SS liner!

So what I'm considering doing is getting the chimney inspected.  If it's in relatively good shape,  I might just use it this season without a liner, and have one installed in the summer when all the chimney sweep companies are starving for business.

Thoughts, anyone?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a guy here named Sweep, because, yes, he sweeps chimneys for a living (or at least part time).  Hopefully he'll be along shortly to help.  Free BTT.

Personally, I'd be looking to do it right.  I would think relining the chimney with SS liner yourself wouldn't be too hard.  My .02.

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top