Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 12:06:41 PM EDT
Well, two.

The judge has slaped them, the union, with a 1,000,000.00 a day fine.

What if they dont pay? How and whom?

2nd, what are the 'restrictions' that the cops are having to deal when dealing with the travels in and out f the city, do they have to care if there is someone not adhearing to the strike? Why can't I rent a bus and take people in on my own for a fee if I am not part of the union during the strike?

Fox just had a person on, he called it "economic terrorisim"...I tend to agree.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Why can't I rent a bus and take people in on my own for a fee if I am not part of the union during the strike?

And deal with the wrath of the livery commission?  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I read on foxnews.com earlier that it is illegal for transport workers in NYC to strike and that every one of them is fined two days pay for every day that they are on strike.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem (in Manhattan at least) isn't the shortage of vehicles, but that there's too many of them. Everybody's trying to make it in by car (and lots of them are generous enough to pick people up along the way), but it's bumper to bumper for miles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Unions suck!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why can't I rent a bus and take people in on my own for a fee if I am not part of the union during the strike?

Because the .Gov wants you to fill out the proper forms.

Because the .Gov wants to know who you are and how much you make so they can take their share.

Because the .Gov wants you to have a document that you are working in the service sector. This means you have been found to comply with all the health code regulations and safety regulations set forth by OSHA and other safety yahoos.

Its the MAN, man.

He's got you down.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I read on foxnews.com earlier that it is illegal for transport workers in NYC to strike and that every one of them is fined two days pay for every day that they are on strike.

You know, I heard that on the radio this morning too. Exactly who collects this "fine" and how is the payment collected? I doubt that the MTA (or any other body) will ever see a single nickel of this fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unions suck!

Not all things that unions do are bad.  But this definately is one of those times where unions imo do more harm than good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Fox just had a person on, he called it "economic terrorisim"...I tend to agree.

I feel just the opposite.  Using that word to demonize everything that you sharply disagree on is going to have 1 of two effects.  One, broaden who is a terrorist and is treated as such by .gov.  Two, destroy the impact of the word when used to really describe what we used to all know as terrorism.

I hate hearing people do that.  Pretty soon, if a kid squirts you with a water gun it's going to be aqua-terrorism.

Now, off the soapbox....  It sure would be really fun to watch them defy the order.  It's always amusing to watch someone beating themselves with a hammer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The money for the fine is paid from the union treasury to the city treasury.

Since this is apparently an illegal strike, the city could start permenant
replacement time now.

I'd say your question regarding bussing on your own for a fee would have to go to the city.

They may have a regulation about how many passengers you can carry if you are doing it for free.

The cops would be enforcing the city laws, not the union work rules.

If I was the Mayor, I'd fire them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]

If I was the Mayor, I'd fire them.

I guess he really wouldn't be losing any votes, he is a repub, right? And we all know how unions votes...

Thanks for the insight so far.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend in Queens NY told me:

No vehicle are allowed south of 94th Street with fewer than 4 people in the car.  That means, no car can enter NYC via Lincoln, Holland, or Midtown Tunnel (or the Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamburg or 54th street bridges) without 4 or more people.

Commercial traffic between 11am and 3pm (ALL DELIVERY VEHICLES, ETC)

It's a complete CharlieFoxtrot.  Many of the locals don't even own cars, so apparently there are a whole hell of a lot of "hitchhikers" than need a ride, and obviously a lot of cars that need passengers to get across.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top