Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:41:54 AM EDT
I need to build a rack to hold approx 2 cords of wood outside.  I was thinking something out of 4x4 for posts, sunk in ground or on footers (like a deck for your house).  Then build a rood over it and try to keep it kinda natrual looking so it blends in with the woods (about 30 feet from house).

Any suggestions, plans and/or experiances?

TIA
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless the woods are 30 feet away and not where you are building the rack why not use two trees. They are already there and you do not have to build a thing.  Buy a tarp or something to cover it.  You should be able to find one that should not look too bad.  

Your 4x are a good idea.  I would also suggest placing treated ones on the ground or cutting down two cedars stripping the branches and putting the poles on the ground to keep your wood off of the ground.  The cedar stumps will also make wonderfull kindling.

30 feet is a long way to carry the wood.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to just make an extension to my shed roof to make a sort of lean to kind of thing.

Mostly I want a big roof so the snow and ice stay off the firewood.

Something on the bottom to keep the firewood off the ground is also good.

I still suck at stacking wood well, but I can stack it up well enough it won't just blow over on me.

If you want to use 4x4s to make a roof setup you can do that and then check harbor freight for their little metal forms that hold some 2x4s in position so you can stack a face cord of wood up in the frame you build up.

Overall I prefer a shed or tobacco type barn that is very open for air movement yet sealed well enough that rain can't get near the wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top