Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 9:32:57 AM EDT
Florida Deputy Shoots, Kills Knife-Wielding Man
Story by local6.com

A knife-wielding burglary suspect was shot and killed Sunday after confronting two Brevard County sheriff’s deputies investigating a noise complaint near Palm Bay, according to Local 6 News partner Florida Today .

The shooting happened about 5:24 a.m. in the Enchanted Lakes Estates subdivision located on the 1600 block of Stardust Drive and just east of Palm Bay Community Hospital.

"There were several calls from neighbors reporting that a male was yelling or screaming outside. It was more of a suspicious incident and the deputies went to that call not knowing what to expect," said Andy Walters, spokesman for the Brevard County sheriff's office.

The suspect was identified as 49-year-old Frankie E. Harewood of Palm Bay.

When deputies arrived, they found the man inside one of the manufactured homes standing close to the homeowner.

"He wasn’t supposed to be in that trailer," Walters said, adding that the mobile home park is frequented by winter-time visitors and is made up of mostly older residents.

One of the deputies went up the stairs to investigate when he saw the Harewood with the knife. The deputy tried to retreat and ended up twisting his knee and falling to the ground. A second deputy, identified as Steve Fernez, fired two rounds at the suspect as he lunged forward.

Harewood, wounded in the area of the abdomen, collapsed and died at the scene, officials said.

The deputy with the injured knee was treated at a local hospital and released.

Fernez, whose family has extensive law enforcement ties, was placed on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of FDLE’s investigation, Florida Today reported.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Another BG DRT'd
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a start...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw that on the news...this guy was a piece o'crap with a solid record of no good.  He was caught red handed and toothless momma was on the news saying that he was shot and killed because he was black.  She did admit that he might have been up to no good, but said they didn't have to kill him.

Shut up woman and eat the cheese my taxes pay for.  Next check will come round real soon.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#4]
another +1 for the good guys
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted: I saw that on the news...this guy was a piece o'crap with a solid record of no good.  He was caught red handed and toothless momma was on the news saying that he was shot and killed because he was black.  She did admit that he might have been up to no good, but said they didn't have to kill him. Shut up woman and eat the cheese my taxes pay for.  Next check will come round real soon.
He was just a hard-working man out to get Kwanzaa gifts for his family.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
"One of the deputies went up the stairs to investigate when he saw the Harewood with the knife. The deputy tried to retreat and ended up twisting his knee and falling to the ground. A second deputy, identified as Steve Fernez, fired two rounds at the suspect as he lunged forward."

I wonder how many times the Deputies have rehearsed that?  [Southpark]"Ned! He's comming right at me!"[/Southpark]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top