Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:31:00 AM EDT
Fake Gun Prompts California SWAT Standoff
Story by nbcsandiego.com

A situation that began as a noise complaint escalated into a full-scale SWAT response from the San Diego Police Department Sunday night.

Patrol officers were sent at about 10:50 p.m. to investigate complaints about noise coming from an apartment near the intersection of Edgemont and Grape Streets in South Park. When they arrived at the apartment, two men were outside. One of them brandished what appeared to be a handgun in a threatening manner, according to police. Then both men went inside the apartment and refused to come out, police said.

The officers retreated and called for backup. Heavily armed SWAT officers surrounded the apartment, while other officers evacuated several nearby homes. Police also brought in a mobile command center and crisis negotiators.

Police unsuccessfully tried to contact the residents of the apartment for several hours. At about 3:30 a.m., a woman who lived in the apartment came out and told police that the gun they saw was a replica. Police decided that the people inside the apartment were probably not a danger to neighbors and had not actually committed any crimes. At that point, the SWAT team withdrew, leaving several patrol officers to keep an eye on the situation.

At about 7:30, the woman let officers into the apartment. They arrested John C. Reinhart, 25, for displaying a replica weapon in a threatening manner.

----------------------------------

Iowa Teens Get Scare With Police
Story by kcci.com

Four Lincoln High School juniors got a scare Friday and so did a Polk County deputy.

An off-duty Polk County deputy said he saw the four teenagers in a car on the city's northwest side.

"It took off from the stoplight, four occupants in the vehicle. I saw a gun come out from the passenger in the right rear corner, pointed at the driver's head," said Deputy Dale Petersen, of the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Petersen called dispatchers. It wasn't long before two other deputies, five Des Moines police officers, two Iowa State Troopers and a federal marshal responded. The car was stopped in the 4100 block of Northwest 12th Street.

Police said the weapon was a pellet gun.

"I was, at one point, probably less than 10 yards behind the vehicle. When it came out and it looked very real," Petersen said.

"That's a replica of a 44 Desert Eagle. It says right on the side," said Marc Griggs, of the Iowa State Patrol. "We carry a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson."

The pellet gun was confiscated.

"It's not as heavy as a real gun, but it looks almost identical to a real gun," Griggs said.

The officers said they let the teens go after they had been handcuffed.

"Charges could be filed ... what happened here this afternoon I think enlightened the gentlemen," Petersen said.

The students' identities are not being released because they are juveniles, but the young men told NewsChannel 8 that they were on their way back to Lincoln after a school field trip at the Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"That's a replica of a 44 Desert Eagle. It says right on the side," said Marc Griggs, of the Iowa State Patrol. "We carry a .40-caliber Smith and Wesson."

Uh, yeah occifer, but your's shoots REAL BULLETS
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#3]
People are so stupid they often report my guys
are carrying assault rifles.

They are carrying grey Panasonic AG-188 Videocameras.

I've had cop cars screech into parking lots four deep on my guys, only to see they
are carrying cameras, and, say "Oh.  Never mind." and leave.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
not a waste but good training for the swat guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top