Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:05:15 AM EDT
OK, seems like it’s time to bend over again.

I’ve got a pair of about 10-12 year old Kenmore washer-dryer.  Got them new, got a lot of good use out of them.

During the first 10 years, I had to have a relay on the dryer replaced, nothing else.

2 years ago, when we moved into our new house, something on the dryer went out, cost about $100-150 to fix.

Then something on the washer, then about 2 months ago, the timer on the washer, $200.

Now, the dryer blower seems to have quit working.  The heat is working, the drum spins, but the clothes stay wet.

Last night I pulled the front off and shop vac’d everything I could reach, including the hose and the wall opening for the vent.

No joy, today after about an hour, the clothes were warm but no drying had taken place.
Now that I think about it, almost everything has been taking two cycles to dry, but now it’s not drying.

I’m ready to pull the plug on the dryer, need recommendations, I like Kenmore, but am open to suggestions.  Brands, models, and features, please.

What do you think about getting a matching washer?  Wife would like a pair to match, I’m not dying to double the expense, but I don’t want to have an unmatched set for 10 years.

I’m not too keen about spending $1k plus, each, on the newfangled front loaders, anyone have one that cares to sell me on them?  Seems like the minimal water savings will take about 10 years to make up for the increased cost.

Little help ?

Just what I need the week before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My wife just dropped 2500 on a washer and dryer combo.
If it doesn't last 10 years, its gonna be a bag of quarters and a drive to the laundramat bucket, rock, and string for her

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is, in fact, generating heat but the clothes aren't getting dry, it sounds like the blower isn't working.  Should be a fairly painless fix.

ETA:  Okay, I missed the part where you already said that.  D'OH!

I'm not having a good day.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not get the Duet series by Whirlpool (a high-end front loader).

Continual problems with gray clothes, clothes stuck in the door gasket, cycles take too long. It is too finicky. It has been a real dissappointment to the dear wife.

Stick with a tried and true high capacity top-loading washer.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My wife just dropped 2500 on a washer and dryer combo.
If it doesn't last 10 years, its gonna be a bag of quarters and a drive to the laundramat for her

There is no way on earth that I would ever ever ever pay more than $500 apiece.  

Those fancy appliances are just marketing crapola.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top