Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2001 6:42:50 PM EDT
I would like something in either Semi-Auto or Pump action.

I would prefer 12GA.

Its primary use will be shooting clay pigeons but, I want something that will good for rabbits, squirls, ducks, etc.

Is there a certain barrel length I should be looking for?

What type of finish should I get(black, camo, wood/blue)?

By Step dad just raves about his Remington 870
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
benelli m1 super 90. kinda pricey, but their motto is preformance worth the price, and it is i can tell you. its great. more reliable than 870 (seriously) and its lighter and faster. its great for all loads. even heavy waterfowl loads. i use mine in trap compition so its great with clay pigeons. i also use it for every day hunting. i used an 870 for years (my first shotgun) and it will work, but i can tell you the benelli isnt even in the same ballpark. a new one is about $950 and used a few hunderd cheaper. once you shoot one you will want one, and once you have one you wont give it up. put in the extra cash for a gun that will serve you greatly for a really long time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Save your money by buying a Winchester 1300 Ranger with interchangeable choke tubes.  They are available at Kmart and Wal-Mart for cheap, $250.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
What you WANT is a [b]Mossberg[/b]500A(pump). Its the BEST shotgun for the price.  
If you want to spend a little more(and some people need to spend more money than necessary) then a nice Rem 870(pump).

[b]NO ONE[/b]needs a $900 shotgun!!!!!!

I have bagged more ducks with my $169. Mossy than others with their over priced Benellis.

[b]"more reliable than 870 (seriously) "[/b]

EXACTLY what do you mean by this???
My Rem 870 has ALWAYS shot every time I have used it.  I have NEVER had a problem with it EVER!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
For a pump, a Remington 870.

For a auto, Remington 11-87.
[img]www.remington.com/images/firearms/1187PLC.JPG[/img]

Both models have tons of after-market goodies,are well made, and affordable. Standard issue for most Law enforcement agencies.

Most choose a 28" barrel, but it's really just a personal issue. A longer 30" barrel might have a slight edge in velocity and the benefits of a longer sighting plane, but is heavier and cumbersome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Remington 870, king of the pump 12 ga.

sgb
View Quote

Can't go wrong with the 870.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Rem 870P w/ 18 inch bbl, rifle sights! When I lived in Canada, shot many Canada Geese every autumn with this gun. Vancouver police contract overun.

Now at work, see many 870Ps with rem folder too.

Go for the 870! You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Hard to beat the good ole Rem 870 for a pump.  For an auto Rem 1100 or 11-87 will be good choices too.  My 870 Express cost $209 and the 1100 cost $328 so it won't break your bank account.  

I have a 870 and 1100 both with 28" barrels but anything between 25"-30" would work well.  I personally like 28" barrels on mine.  My father has an old Winchester SuperX Model-1 with 25" barrel and it feels good too.  I like the utilitian look of matte finish.      
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Mossy 590. What other shotgun comes standard with a bayonet lug?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
[b][green][i]Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic[/i][/green][/b]

And accessorize it to your liking.
Excellent choice for all the right reasons.
Have fun shopping.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

[b]NO ONE[/b]needs a $900 shotgun!!!!!!

I have bagged more ducks with my $169. Mossy than others with their over priced Benellis.

[b]"more reliable than 870 (seriously) "[/b]

EXACTLY what do you mean by this???
My Rem 870 has ALWAYS shot every time I have used it.  I have NEVER had a problem with it EVER!!!

BISHOP
View Quote

i used to think all that too. and as far as "I have bagged more ducks with my $169. Mossy than others with their over priced Benellis." thats a matter of skill and no shotgun makes up for that, but the reliablity, i have seen 870s jam. i know its rare, but i have seen it happen. its happened to me, it someimes chokes on some cheap light target loads. thier not the highest quality, but my benelli eats um like no other. mine have never jammed, on any round ever. my frined has 2, and has been unable to jam um. those 2 guns used to shoot up to 500 rds a week each , one of um still does. even shooting 500 rds a week, they NEVER clean um ( crazy i know) but it dont matter, they get a breakdown clean once a year, after many thousand rounds. its unbelivable to think how much those guns shoot and shoot. i didnt belive  it till i bought one. i decided if i was gonna blow close to a grand on a gun it would be the one i shoot most. and me and benelli just last week took the area trap championship. my team beat corprate sponcered teams. i dodnt think i needed a 900 $ shotgun, till my friend loaned me one of his for a few rounds. then the decesion wasnt hard at all. the benelli costs what 4 or 5 870s cost, but i havent regreted it for a second. i still love my remington, but i find i like it better with a 10 rd mag.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
i will ad, if your looking for affordable the benelli isnt for you. but if your talking about any type of organized clay shooting ( trap, skeet, or sporting) i would put in the extra $$. especially if your shooting in a league or you want to compete someday
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I can recommend the Remington 870 pump 12 gauge from personal experience. The best.

But I hear very good things about the Benelli Nova 12 gauge pump. Around $350.00-$400.00 in the real world. Over $500.00 in CA for some unknown reason.

A good all purpose barrel length for a sporting shotgun is 28", at least that's what I prefer. But you're going to have to make that decision on your own.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!!  WTF are you gonna do with a bayonet - jump up in the air and STAB the clay pigeons???  Ducks??

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
ive got a benelli super black eagle. it'll shoot any shell out there, from low-brass 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 mags. you can get five shots off before the first shell hits the ground (not that you need to).  mines a 28" barrel. i love it and will never need another shotty, although i've always wanted a fancy over-and-under for skeet. if you can fit the bill, its worth it. i'd have to say it is the best hunting shotty out there. i like the black finish, but they've got some cool camo patterns now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Go with the 12 gauge for sure.

Ballistics will show that with today's powder and wads you don't gain much velocity past 26 inches.  I have shotguns with 22 to 30 inch barrels and I think the 26 inch with screw in chokes (a definite must have feature) is the best for all around shooting.

Finish is up to you.  You can temporarily camouflage your gun as needed for hunting without looking like a nut at the sporting clays range.

I don't like pumps, but that is a personal preference.  I have seen pump guns at the sporting clays range all over a guy with an auto that can't hit a thing.

You might look at the Browning Gold 12 gauge.  It is lighter than the Remington 11/87, comes with a better recoil pad.  I have given up shooting all of my Remingtons since I got it.

Here is a link [url]www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/gold/gold.htm[/url]

[size=6]B[/size=6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Although I have owned the Mossberg 590, a Beretta Silver Mallard, Browning Citori, the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag, Rem 11-87 SP and even a cheap Maverick Arms riot gun I can say without hesitation that none of these weapons has lived up to the standards set forth by my venerable old 870 Magnum Wingmaster, well maybe the Citori but that is a different ballgame.

I got this weapon 23 years ago and although I have shot trailer truck loads of every imaginable type of ammo thru it it has never ever malfunctioned.  I have the 30' full and 28' mod so it is my hunting shotgun.

Also have owned several different 870 express magnums and a current HD model magnum that is as reliable as its predecessors.

You can not go wrong with an older 870, the Police Magnum or the Home Defense 870 express.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#19]
what xkill said at teh end, if you do go pump, an older 870. one with the nice polished finish. i find they are a bit smoother. and as far as the benelli NOVA goes. its lite, fast, and feature packed, but somting about it just rubs me wrong, and its pug fugly, i think
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an old 870 Wingmaster (late `60's or early `70's) and it is one of my most prized possesions! I looked at a brand new Wingmaster a few years ago and it was just as nice, although it seemed like the action was a little stiffer - probably because it was new and mine has thousands of rounds through it (trouble free I might add). You can still buy a new Rem with a nice blued finish, but you have to get a Wingmaster and they cost about double the price of an Express. I also have an Express HD and love it. Its action smoothed up after a hundred or so break in rounds. It's my home's first line of defense!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#21]
What's your budget?

If you got the $$$$, get the Benelli.

Get your semi-auto shotgun weapons of mass destruction while you can!

Link Posted: 8/4/2001 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]
From personal experience, I'd have to go with Bishop and say the Moss 500A. I had one of these in a 20" barrel that had been tricked out with pistol grip, folding stock, and all your standard tactical accessories and still only paid $250 for it. Wish I hadn't sold it, but I needed the money. I tried to buy it back from the guy a month or two ago, and found out that he'd sold it back to the shop that I bought it from a week prior for $125. Hell, that was half of what I paid for it and I was the one who put the sidesaddle on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:16:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!!  WTF are you gonna do with a bayonet - jump up in the air and STAB the clay pigeons???  Ducks??

View Quote
                                           What kind of question is this?......don`t you have to dig up potatos to go with the duck?.............[smoke]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#24]
[GREEN][size=5]REMINGTON 870[/SIZE=5][/GREEN]
My 870 does it all, clay birds, deer hunting, defence...
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/Vi/Oh/by/9B17964.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I personally have a pump Rem 870 with 26" & 18" BBLs, and a semi-auto Rem 11/87 with 28" & 20" BBLs.  There are extended magazine tubes(10 & 8 shot) available for both guns and barrel lenghts for serious social work, but the extended mag tubes cause the guns to be quite a bit heavier, making handling a bit tougher.  I have shot a Benelli, it works a smoother than the Remingtons, but at close to $1,000(yikes!) a copy, it is a bit more expensive than the Remingtons.

Mossbergs pumps are okay, but the only thing I don't like is the plastic ambi-dex safety switch on the top of the receiver.  My buddy broke his accidently a few years ago and it pretty much disable his gun until he could jerry-rig something so that it would function. I understand there is an aftermarket metal replacement available.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#27]
An over/under is hard to beat in my book for clays. The "feel" is so right.

Also for defense work....Moss. 590 is alright!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Benelli's are recoil operated and the ones I've shot were punishing. I would not want to shoot a 100 bird event with a Benelli.

View Quote

?!?!?!

maybe more "punishing" than a 391, but not more so than any pump or break gun. and i have NO problem shooting a 200 bird event with the benelli. compaired to my 870 i used to shoot, the recoil is nothing
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Benneli's absolutely rule.  The semi automatic action is the best out there.  Benneli is the benchmark for semi auto shotguns.  Up to 5 rnds per second! If you can pull the trigger that fast it will go!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is mine:

[url]http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/superx2/superx2.htm[/url]

Never a hiccup, never a problem. always ready for action. I use her for geese, crow, pheasant, tagets, and sometimes rabbit.
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Pre 81 Ithaca 37
No disconector
18" PS barrel
28" with tubes
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"Games"

View Quote

you shoot for money on occasion??
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Cheap n cheerful: Mossberg 500A.  It works forever, racks and points well, and you can get a million aftermarket parts for it.  Only caveats: that d*mn plastic trigger group/guard assembly, not because it doesn't work but just because it's plastic.  Add the safety to the list of plastic stuff that I'd like to have replaced but won't 'cuz I'm cheap.  If you spend the difference between a 500a and a more expensive gun on an assortment of barrels and accessories and you can have a tactical/slug/waterfowler/muzzzleloader for about the same price.  It's the proverbial 'If I only had one gun' gun.

But, if you're doing much shotgun shooting, semis are really the way to go.  Less recoil plus much faster follow up shots for the doubles.  Benelli is highly recommended by the clay guys I know.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Pre 81 Ithaca 37
No disconector
View Quote

That's incorrect, the Ithaca was manufactured without a disconnector until 1987 when Ithaca reorganized and dubbed the Model 37 as the Model 87. I've had about four or five Model 37s manufactured in the 1984-1986 period, and I currently have a Model 37 Ultra Featherlight 12 gauge with a January 1986 ship date on its box and absolutely NONE of them have had a disconnector.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Benelli recoil == no problem

Me and my cousin shoot two cases of clays(90x2) each time.  

And sometimes I would fire two shots at one clay.  So I probably fired about 150 birdshots that day.  That's usually over a three hour period.

Red shoulder == no problem!

Anyone have a Benelli Executive 12-gauge?

That's what I want neXt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top