Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 10:13:23 PM EDT
I'm watching TV with Mrs. samsong this eve, and all of a sudden, the power goes down.

Last time, it was weather which brought it down, and so I broke out the flashlights. Wife was telling me, "oooh, you're so prepared (I think this was turning her on) Then, per the norm, I started making ready my CZ-52 (Condition 3 into 2) and the AR with 55gr FMJ. Wifey decides the dog needs his late night pee, and goes out. Right as she's getting ready, I'm saying, "Hey, wait for me!" thinking that this may be the prelude to an armed home invasion. I think all my scumbag neighbors in the condo complex know I'm the Armed Citizen because of the suspiciously long boxes and ammo cans constantly arriving at my home, so maybe the new drug dealer who moved in next door has some "unsavory interests" in my collection. I try to help the wife, but she scoots outside, oblivious to the negative potentialities.

She comes back in a minute or two later and reports that the door to the power room in the building is wide open, and a giant switch she can't move is in the "off" position. I immediately placed the CZ-52 in Condition 1, put it in my belt, and walked outside, only to discover the utility door open and the master breaker for the building switched into the "Off" position. Another building was in the same condition.

I flipped the switch and the power came back on in the building. The power co. told me to call the Po-Po, because they've seen this kind of stuff result in trouble before. Wifey immediately locked up the aggressive dog after calling the coppers, on the generalized chance that they may "perceive a threat" from what looks like a very aggressive dog.

So now I'm waiting for "The Man" to pay us a visit.

I won't be inviting them in - I don't need some overeager copper to nose through my gun collection to determine if he can take anything back to the old Cop Shop to root around in - after shooting my dog "for his safety." They can simply take notes at the doorway.

Did I do OK? Tactically, my Home Defense Fu seemed a little slow, but not too weak.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You did real good.

A big +1 on the locking the dog up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You didn't draw down on ANYONE.

Not a single innocent bystander was threatened.

Now get your ass back outside and do it right.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Boobytrap the circuit breaker...    
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Good non-drawdown.  

I'd only add my radar goes up and hot like Dale freakin'
Dribble if the power would go off without it being a storm.

I'm drawing my Walther to get my ass to my AR (That has an M-3)
in that occasion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job, hope at least your neighbors thank you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My neighbors? Thank me? I couldn't understand the marijuana-laced Ebonics coming off of "Rasta-Man," and the drunk above me and the two 80-y-olds would have frozen to death before they had the wherewithal to call the PowerCo.

Me and Mrs. samsong are the only to functioning human beings in our building. Wish I had a cool neighhbor who I could depend upon if the SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My neighbors? Thank me? I couldn't understand the marijuana-laced Ebonics coming off of "Rasta-Man," and the drunk above me and the two 80-y-olds would have frozen to death before they had the wherewithal to call the PowerCo.

Me and Mrs. samsong are the only to functioning human beings in our building. Wish I had a cool neighhbor who I could depend upon if the SHTF.

If I ever have to utter the words "In my building"....I'll shoot myself.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If I was a neighborhood kid and knew you went through that much every time the lights went out, I'd keep switching off the main breaker, too.

Maybe they should put a lock on the damn thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I was a neighborhood kid and knew you went through that much every time the lights went out, I'd keep switching off the main breaker, too.

Maybe they should put a lock on the damn thing.

"Power knocking" was the prank of choice when I was in high school.  I never did it myself, but it happened to me and I knew a lot of people who got power knocked, too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I need better books. I felt more suspense and anticipaiton reading that up until you went back inside than I've gotten out of any book.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Updated: I also looked into the telephone/gas room on the other side of the condo building. It had been breached and the wires coming off the telephone circuit looked like they were in disorder. I'm a "cord-cutter" 'cause I work for a major wireless telecom company, so they can clip my wireline service all they want and it won't do anything to my cell phones.

It's possible that I may have some kind of predator casing the house in planning for future criminal acts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, sounds like somebody planned some fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top