Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 9:49:06 PM EDT
First Brokeback Mountain and now this crap.

"Around the holidays the biggest challenge for many theater companies is convincing audiences to care about yet another staging of "A Christmas Carol." This season in Atlanta, however, Actor's Express wants to stir up buzz about a less familiar property -- namely, a pedophile musical.
The Express has already started pushing "Love Jerry," a new tuner written and composed by Megan Gogerty that follows the tortured story of Jerry, who develops a sexual relationship with his nephew while trying to stay friends with the boy's father.

A delicate, often heart-wrenching piece of theater, the show, which preems Jan. 22 at the Express, never descends to shock-value tactics as it explores volatile terrain, and its lilting country songs give the characters emotionally vulnerable texture. Should it manage to attract a crowd, "Love Jerry" could very well leave them cheering.

But how do you convince anyone to come sing along with a child abuser? It's a double-edged question: Not only can untested musicals be notoriously hard to launch, especially when the writer is an unknown, but pedophilia (not to mention incest to boot) has proven anathema to ticket buyers."

more:
www.variety.com/VR1117934920.html

God help us.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, hell I'd see posters about musicals about as bad as that every day catching the train down to Hoboken and then the PATH to work...musicals about a woman who had a child, but didn't know who the father was, so bought the guys together to figure out who was it....

Musicals about people who couldn't pay rent, so they hooked or sold drugs...

Etc etc etc.

*Shrug* I saw these posters thinking "Ok...if you want to compile a list of fuckups, just watch attendence at any of these things..."

No offense if anyone here actually went to one of those freakshows

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it's a tax write-off scheme like in The Producers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Oh, hell I'd see posters about musicals about as bad as that every day catching the train down to Hoboken and then the PATH to work...musicals about a woman who had a child, but didn't know who the father was, so bought the guys together to figure out who was it....

Etc etc etc.

*Shrug* I saw these posters thinking "Ok...if you want to compile a list of fuckups, just watch attendence at any of these things..."

Selling drugs to pay the rent is "about as bad" as homosexual incestuous pedophilia??
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:51:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Perhaps.

But you must never underestimate the stupidity that is mistaken for "great art" within the arts community, as the "arts" these days are comprised almost totally of flaming liberal idiots.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

More likely shock value substituting for talent.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to see a musical about a chubby misfit who spends his Christmas money on tactical gear in the EE while imagining himself as a great warrior.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Country songs?

Me thinks this is some sort of sick jab at Southerners (as we are known for being right-wing Christians, at least as far as Christian hating Yankee liberals are concerned).  The Christmas season generally brings out two types of extremists, the Jesus-freaks, and the freakish liberals who would sell their own souls just to make anybody they don't like look bad.

Or perhaps it is Broadway's attempt at trying to convince us that pedophilia is ok too since homosexuality has already been made an undebatable subject.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd like to see a musical about a chubby misfit who spends his Christmas money on tactical gear in the EE while imagining himself as a great warrior.

Would it be a comedy or a love story?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What? You've never been to a gun show around Christmas before?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking that in no more than 10 years we'll begin to see the fight for the "pedophile rights movement" only they'll dress it up in a more PC name to make it sound better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:45:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More likely shock value substituting for talent.

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Etc etc etc.

Selling drugs to pay the rent is "about as bad" as homosexual incestuous pedophilia??

Glorifying it in music and singing about it as if it's a normal thing, and you shouldn't be ashamed of it? On the same moral sliding scale, yes, it is, to me.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would it be a comedy or a love story?

For some here, a reality show...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Whats next some chick tossing a salad on stage, While little children dance around her with severed pigs heads.

What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats-- Where's the fun in musicals?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps.

But you must never underestimate the stupidity that is mistaken for "great art" within the arts community, as the "arts" these days are comprised almost totally of flaming liberal diotsfaggots.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm thinking that in no more than 10 years we'll begin to see the fight for the "pedophile rights movement" only they'll dress it up in a more PC name to make it sound better.

What do you mean "start" to see?

Ever actually interrogated a child molester? They are getting brazen enough to start sounding like they are ENTITLED to go touching on kids.

"I was born this way!"

Like hell....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As long as I can collect the royalties, go ahead.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:16:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I saw Rent in NYC, and enjoyed it, although I sure as hell don't advocate those lifestyles.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top