Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 7:43:49 PM EDT
Need an inexpensive Christmas gift for a young lady.  Less than $50-60 bucks.  She's getting a sewing machine for Christmas and is taking a sewing class here shortly, so I was thinking something sewing related.  I'm not looking for anything too expensive because I just met the girl and I doubt she's getting me anything, just want something little to show I'm paying attention when she talks.  

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
sewing class at "G Street Fabric"
http://www.gstreetfabrics.com/locations.shtml
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Walmart has some good choices in machines and stuff. Brother is a decent home machine. Find out what she is getting and get gadgets for it.

I have an old Singer commercial machine, myself. It has a 5hp motor and can sew through bone, if needed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Some newer sew mach. take a diskette that has different programs for sticking embroidery ect.  but they are brand specific.

get her a gift cert?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Ott Light

Sewers need alot of light around the sewing machine, especially beginners.  I know it sounds stupid to have a full-spectrum bulb lamp that only last 1000 hours.  But it is cool to the touch and throws an incredible amount of warm light.  The sewer will think you know your stuff about sewing.

I have two of them because my girls make their own clothes.

I would recommend the 18W floor version but you gave a $60 budget.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#6]
And bobbins; you can't have too many of them since you need one with each color thread you are using.  That and a case to hold them so they don't get unraveled and tangle.  

You can throw a couple of packs of needles in since I can guarantee she'll break them when she pulls the fabric while learning (you can buy a variety pack that has several styles for different types of fabric).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top