Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 6:24:46 PM EDT
ACLU and Planned Parenthood Warn That Supreme Court Case on NH Abortion Restriction Could Jeopardize Women's Health and Safety (8/9/2005)

Decision in Ayotte v. Planned Parenthood of Northern New England Could Fundamentally Change Legal Landscape for Reproductive Rights

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WASHINGTON In response to briefs filed late yesterday in the Supreme Court by the New Hampshire Attorney General, the United States, and others supporting a state abortion restriction, the American Civil Liberties Union and Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) warned that the decision in this case could fundamentally change the legal landscape for reproductive rights and put women's health at risk.

"For years, courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, have consistently held that abortion restrictions must include exceptions to protect women who need emergency medical care," said Jennifer Dalven, Deputy Director of the ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project. "A decision in this case could unravel that protection, endangering women who need abortions to safeguard their health."

The United States, in its brief, argues against the need for such an exception.

"At Planned Parenthood, the health and safety of our patients is our top priority. Even one woman harmed by this law is one woman too many when her health and safety are at risk," said Dara Klassel, Director of Legal Affairs at PPFA.

Under consideration in the case is a 2003 New Hampshire abortion restriction that targets young women and does not include a health exception. Following Supreme Court precedent, two federal courts held the law unconstitutional because it lacked the required health exception.

The plaintiffs in the case are Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, the Concord Feminist Health Center, the Feminist Health Center of Portsmouth, and Wayne Goldner, M.D. The ACLU and PPFA will file their brief on October 12.

The case is Ayotte v. Planned Parenthood of Northern New England, No. 04-1144. Lawyers on the case include Dalven and Corinne Schiff of the ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project; Klassel of PPFA; Martin P. Honigberg of Sulloway & Hollis, PLLC; and Lawrence Vogelman, of Nixon Raiche Manning Vogelman & Leach, PA and Legal Director of the New Hampshire Civil Liberties Union.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
As I've said before, I'm willing to negotiate.  They can have their fucking right to an abortoin if I can have my unrestricted right to machineguns back.  Anything less and they can go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As I've said before, I'm willing to negotiate.  They can have their fucking right to an abortoin if I can have my unrestricted right to machineguns back.  Anything less and they can go fuck themselves.

+1.  With a caber.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Well yeah guns are icky and they kill people.

those people are fucking morons
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder why the ALCU would be so anti-gun???????? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's a non-issue.  the 2nd amendment guarantees your right to keep and bear "arms" without infringement, and murder is illegal in every state.  Simple fact is, no one - including me - has the sack or capital to take on the issue and settle it once and for all.  
Matt
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
sorry, double-post.
Matt
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a non-issue.  the 2nd amendment guarantees your right to keep and bear "arms" without infringement, and murder is illegal in every state.  Simple fact is, no one - including me - has the sack or capital to take on the issue and settle it once and for all.  
Matt

speaking of which, how is the alito nomination going?

anyone know?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya know sometimes the ACLU comes down on the right side of things despite themselves.

But I will NEVER support an organization that simply chooses to ignore the Plain English of the Second Amendment and pretend that it doesn't mean what it clearly says.

There are very few types of people that I despise more than hypocrites and the circumlocutions the ACLU have to make to defend their view on the 2nd makes them complete and total hypocrites.

Friggin bastards.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ya know sometimes the ACLU comes down on the right side of things despite themselves.

But I will NEVER support an organization that simply chooses to ignore the Plain English of the Second Amendment and pretend that it doesn't mean what it clearly says.

There are very few types of people that I despise more than hypocrites and the circumlocutions the ACLU have to make to defend their view on the 2nd makes them complete and total hypocrites.

Friggin bastards.

you mean hypocrites like people who claim that murdering a child is not murder because the kid hasn't popped out yet?  yeah, i see your point.
Matt
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
 I am always happy to express my hatred of the aclu.  They would find a way to justify beheadings if they could.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder why the ALCU would be so anti-gun???????? Inquiring minds want to know.

Could it be because the ACLU was founded by and had its charter written by communists?

Literally communists, rather than just liberals or progressives. I mean people like Roger Baldwin and Communist Party USA chairman Elizabeth Gurley Flynn and a host of others.

That could be part of it. Also could it be since the ALCU has its own vision for this country which is totally opposed by the majority they are scared of private ownership of firearms. Just guessing on my part. My two cents on the ALCU is they have done this country a hell of lot of harm.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Why is it these sick fuckers oppose using guns to kill animals (hunting),
but the fight for the right to kill babies?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#15]
So it ok to legalize something that end in the MURDER of Hundreds of THOUSANDs of babies, but they want to outlaw something that is used to kill 15000, but is used MILLIONS of times for defense in the hands of the law abiding
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#16]
If guns kill people, what do abortion doctors do?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#18]

What would their stand be if doctors used guns on the unborn babies?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#19]
"Your abortion doctor has killed more people than my guns."
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"Your abortion doctor has killed more people than my guns."

Abortion aside, regular doctors kill more people every year than gun owners do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I stopped sending money to the ACLU many years ago because of their stand on gun rights, and I personally don't participate in or encourage abortions, but frankly I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with a properly written health exception to an abortion ban.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top