Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:25:46 PM EDT
The new Georgia Aquarium is supposed to be great.  It's the largest aquarium in the world.  It is essentially a gift to the City of Atlanta and the State of Georgia from Bernie Marcus, Home Depot Co-Founder for the support that we have given over the years.  I think that's really nice, but I'm pissed.

I went down there for the first time today.  I NEVER go to downtown Atlanta unarmed.  I was going to buy some guest passes for Christmas for some nearby relatives.  I parked in a metered spot near to the Aquarium and walked over.  I go to the outside ticket window line and see that the wait is probably about half an hour.  No problem.  I also see that there are signs all over saying that no guns, knives, or lighters are allowed insde.  OK, that's their right, but I'm not going inside.  I get closer to the ticket windows and see that they are wanding everyone BEFORE they even get a ticket.

I wasn't in the mood for a fight, though my blood was boiling.  I had promised my wife I'd get the tickets, and as they were for her relatives I couldn't let her down.  Against my better judgement I left the line and went to my car and locked my gun there.  I HATE DOING THAT!!!  I went back and waited for over 45 min and eventually got the passes.

I am still pissed that a man whose people endured near extermination would allow people to ever be disarmed and hearded like cattle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Imagine an ND into that huge tank with the Whale-shark.  That would suck.

(I know that's NOT really the reason, but that would truly be tragic)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Disarm.......Do it for the Fish!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#3]
OH SHIT ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!! BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!!

Its a park, most amusement parks dont allow anything at all in there. Disneyland has metal detectors for christ sake.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
If you blew out that six million gallon tank, you would not live to see the results.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you blew out that six million gallon tank, you would not live to see the results.

That glass has to withstand the pressure of millions of gallons of water. Your handgun isn't even going to dimple it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OH SHIT ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!! BANG BANG BANG BANG!!!!!

Its a park, most amusement parks dont allow anything at all in there. Disneyland has metal detectors for christ sake.

Where?

ETA:  One more reason to not visit Atlanta!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]
If it were me I'd get the relatives the tickets but I personally wouldn't go there.

You have the right to have a CHL.  You should use it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#10]

I wonder how a baby keltec would fare in the pocket.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That glass has to withstand the pressure of millions of gallons of water. Your handgun isn't even going to dimple it.

I agree but I wouldn't want to test it.

O_P tested ballistic glass and found that out of the handguns, rifles, etc. he tried, only the 12-gauge slug and .45-70 penetrated it. The stuff they use for these aquariums is just as strong and much thicker.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's only 49 million 200 thousand pounds of water.

Just "only" right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just "only" right?

Perfect place to go if you are thirsty.  And bring all your dehydrated friends.

Only if you and your friends like salt water that's full of fish poop and pee.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just "only" right?

Perfect place to go if you are thirsty.  And bring all your dehydrated friends.

Only if you and your friends like salt water that's full of fish poop and pee.

That is correct, that is why aquarium away from the coast has so much trouble keeping salt water fish alive.  They have to change the water to get rid of this stuff.

BTW: Disneyland DOES NOT have metal detectors, they have retired people inspecting bags etc for contraband, ie food brought from home etc
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
So,
Whats the best round for killing a whale-shark?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
fish tank of truth?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Things to Do:

- Not go back
- Right a letter of protest
- Check state law if denial of entry for CCW is permitted.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
fish tank of truth?

Excellent idea!

In case you have to draw down in the aquarium
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd imagine that policy is from the the City of Atlanta or the state, not from Bernie Marcus.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Like the law enforcement park ranger said about CCW: "If I don't see it, it doesn't exist."
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
fish tank of truth?

Excellent idea!

In case you have to draw down in the aquarium

Old_Painless, if you're reading this- please make sure the tank is EMPTY before you start shooting at it......
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought I was at the airport instead of the aquarium last week.  I couldn't even bring in my CRKT M16-Z in, even after showing my police credentials.  I could only imagine what would of happened had I had a gun with me.  Kinda wished I did.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Things to Do:

- Not go back

A letter is in the works.  I will request that they make provisions for lockers for the shephards.  I don't think that eliminating the policy is in the cards yet.  Baby steps.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Things to Do:

- Not go back

A letter is in the works.  I will request that they make provisions for lockers for the shephards.  I don't think that eliminating the policy is in the cards yet.  Baby steps.

Can't carry at a public gathering.  But I couldn't get a knife in and I'm law enforcement.  And G.W. signed a bill last year allowing law enforcement to carry concealed in all 50 states.  I'm not going back either.  Let me know about the letter.  Would be willing to help you too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Like the law enforcement park ranger said about CCW: "If I don't see it, it doesn't exist."

The problem with that policy, which I make good use of every day, is that they were wanding EVERYBODY.  I don't think I would have gotten a Glock 23 and 27 rounds of Hydrashock past even the dumbest guard there.  Plus they were backed up by APD, and I'm not so sure that the Aquarium passes the screwy Georgia "public gathering" test.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
... But I couldn't get a knife in and I'm law enforcement.  ...

Ok now I feel better.  I had a leatherman Wave on my belt.  I put it in the bowl as they wanded me, and then put it back on my belt.  That's some funny shit.  I got a knife in when a cop got rejected.

Cabby
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top