Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 2:16:59 PM EDT
What do you have?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that it's not very exciting, but go to the store and buy a mix called "Two Alarm Chili Mix" and follow the instructions.  You buy the ground meat and add the ingrediants in the package.  Get beans to add if you like them.  I don't use all the red pepper, as I don't like mine too hot.

But it is great stuff.

Edited to add:  Glad you made it home, old buddy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I started making chili from scratch a while ago here's what I came up with which is a few different recipes I culled from

2 pounds ground beef and 1 pound ground pork browned in a skillet
2 cans crushed kitchen ready tomatoes big cans like you would use for italian sauce
1 stalk of celery diced
6 jalapeno peppers diced (remove the seeds)
1 green bell pepper diced
1 red bell pepper diced
3 dried red chili peppers ( I forgot the name but they usually have them in the vegatable section of the super markets)
3 cloves of garlic crushed
ETA I forgot you need a big onion in there too chopped up

put all this in a crock pot and add the following spices to taste

ground cumin (start with 2 tablespoons)
oregano 2 tablespoons
Chili powder 3 tablespoons
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of sugar

I don't use any beans but if you like beans add a can of kidney beans

Cook it all for about 4-5 hours and taste it every so often to see if you want to add more cumin or oregano
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
ground beef, browned but don't bust it up into tiny little pieces, leave it in some good chunks 3/4" or so
ground sausage- only bout half as much as the beef
leftover meat- brats, roast beef, whatever you've got made from pig or cow, throw it in there
beans- get chili beans and dark red kidney beans
onion- chop up a big one and toss 'er in
canned tomatos- drain the juice off first
jalapenos- sliced into rings
use Hunt's tomato SAUCE not tomato juice as your liquid
1/2 can beer- not light beer, real damn beer
chili powder, paprika, cayenne powder, lil bit salt, lil bit black pepper

Chili should be a project in constant motion, you never quite finish the recipe, just keep working on it. Don't be afraid to dump some shit in and heat it up.

No mushrooms, no celery, no garlic, no damn cocoa, no brown sugar, no cumin, no peanut buter, none of that other crap.

Tomato, meat, beans, hot stuff.    done.

Good luck, and no offense to anyone who makes theirs different. I like mine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll get flamed for this.  McCormick has a spice packet for white chicken chili.  Get 2 of them, then get everything you need on the back from the recipe.  Do it!  I'm actually gonna make some tommorrow.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll get flamed for this.  McCormick has a spice packet for white chicken chili.  Get 2 of them, then get everything you need on the back from the recipe.  Do it!  I'm actually gonna make some tommorrow.

Ok now your freaking me out worse than your old avatar
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Some chilli recipies also require a portion of a can of beer to be added, for some reason I typically like these recipies better after they have been in the crock pot stewing all day.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I started making chili from scratch a while ago here's what I came up with which is a few different recipes I culled from

2 pounds ground beef and 1 pound ground pork browned in a skillet
2 cans crushed kitchen ready tomatoes big cans like you would use for italian sauce
1 stalk of celery diced
6 jalapeno peppers diced (remove the seeds)
1 green bell pepper diced
1 red bell pepper diced
3 dried red chili peppers ( I forgot the name but they usually have them in the vegatable section of the super markets)
3 cloves of garlic crushed
ETA I forgot you need a big onion in there too chopped up

put all this in a crock pot and add the following spices to taste

ground cumin (start with 2 tablespoons)
oregano 2 tablespoons
Chili powder 3 tablespoons
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of sugar

I don't use any beans but if you like beans add a can of kidney beans

Cook it all for about 4-5 hours and taste it every so often to see if you want to add more cumin or oregano

This makes no sense.

There is nothing in this recipe that requires the contents be "cooked" for more than thirty minutes.

What exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish?
What do you do with all the grease?

For the sake of the chili, throw away your crock pot and use a real pot on the stove.  Bring the
contents to a bare simmer for thirty minutes max. That will infuse the flavors enough for a
decent chili (Your recipe is valid. The cooking method is not).  
For best results, serve it the second day after you have skimmed the grease from the contents.

Incidently, smart move using sugar. It cuts the acidity.  The cocoa, I admit, it new to me. Thanks
for that tip. I shall try it reduced.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok now your freaking me out worse than your old avatar

lol why? I actually made it tonight.  Its good, I swear.  And cheap.  The recipe for one is one spice packet, one pound of chicken and one can of white beans.  And some water.  Helluva deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Just remember, real men put beans in their chili.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I know that it's not very exciting, but go to the store and buy a mix called "Two Alarm Chili Mix" and follow the instructions.  You buy the ground meat and add the ingrediants in the package.  Get beans to add if you like them.  I don't use all the red pepper, as I don't like mine too hot.

But it is great stuff.

Wick Fowler's 2 alarm chili!  That's what I like.  I don't think I ever made it the same way twice.  I like to try different stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But it is great stuff.

You have great taste

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
tag

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#15]
dupe 1

dupe 2

My recipe is in there somewhere.  I didn't want to look too hard.

FYI I just made chili for a party last night.  (I have won cookoff awards with it)  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Tell me, do you cook your steak in a microwave?  Oh...and can you make hamburgers out of ground beef?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#18]
If ya don't like don't eat it,  I don't have a gallbladder so I eat the chili I can.  Redbeans and redmeat kill me, especially with all the oil n grease off the red meat.  Anytime I use ground beef I have to wash it off after I cook it.  It sucks, but that's the price you pay for not having a gallbladder.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If ya don't like don't eat it,  I don't have a gallbladder so I eat the chili I can.  Redbeans and redmeat kill me, especially with all the oil n grease off the red meat.  Anytime I use ground beef I have to wash it off after I cook it.  It sucks, but that's the price you pay for not having a gallbladder.

That my friend is some SERIOUS pain
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That my friend is some SERIOUS pain

You know what's worse.  I'm allergic to beer  I can however drink all the Jack I want
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top