Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 12:42:36 PM EDT
What is the best English dictionary out there?

Also, can someone recommend a good grammar/English usage manual for college-level writing?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Reading a lot (and writing) is the best way to learn proper grammar, vocabulary and writing.  I never did much studying with vocabulary, spelling books or dictionaries.  I really don't believe in learning through study.  It can help, but it is much more effective to learn by doing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The kind of manual that will be most useful to you depends heavily on the the type of writing you expect to be doing. Technical writing in engineering courses is very different from creative writing or critical writing. However, the basic rules of grammar and punctuation will generally apply to all types of college-level writing.

I learned 95% of what I know about proper English grammar, usage and puctuation in public grade school. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Voight-Kampff dictionary.  It's pretty good except that it has 238 synonyms for "tortoise."

Seriously, if you read frequently, incorrect spelling and usage just leap out at you.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
W.R.T. grammar I used this book in college and found it to be a good resource:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321103505/qid=1135031409/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2264547-1735343?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

However the one that I used was quite a lot older than this (15 yrs) and I don't remember the edition number.

Evidently there is also an online resource that I haven't explored:

occawlonline.pearsoned.com/bookbind/pubbooks/aaronlbh_awl/chapter97/deluxe.html
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I use the Voight-Kampff dictionary.  It's pretty good except that it has 238 synonyms for "tortoise."

Seriously, if you read frequently, incorrect spelling and usage just leap out at you.  

My mother? Lemme tell you about my mother!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Elements of Style, by Strunk and White. Focus is on grammar and usage. Not huge either, little more than pocket-sized.

Yes this post is full of fragments. Deal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What's a "tortoise?"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a "tortoise?"

[Holden]You know what a turtle is?   Same thing.[/Holden]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And by "read frequently" he doesn't mean arfcom gen. discussion threads!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top