Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 12:16:32 PM EDT
Article published Dec 18, 2005
Man killed in accident at shooting range
Witnesses say man shot himself practicing cowboy action shooting.

AUSTIN L. MILLER
STAR-BANNER

OCALA NATIONAL FOREST - A 39-year-old man accidentally shot himself to death at a gun range Saturday while practicing a popular sport called cowboy action shooting.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office identified the man as Chadwick M. Bogard, 39, of Kingsport, Tenn. According to the Sheriff's Office, he was married and had children. Deputies also said he was in the area on a job interview. Deputies said the man has a wife and children.

Sheriff's deputies said they received the shooting call at 9:45 a.m. from the Forest Road 88 Gun Range. When they arrived the man was unconscious. He was transported to Shands Hospital in Gainesville, where he died shortly before 3 p.m.

"At this point, it appears accidental and no foul play is suspected," said sheriff's Capt. Fred Vyse.

Authorities said the man appeared to be a cowboy action shooting fan, and he was at the range practicing. Eyewitnesses told them he had two single-action revolvers - a .357-caliber Magnum in each hand - and was firing .38-caliber rounds in the weapons back and forth.

They determined that at about the eighth shot, the weapon somehow rotated toward him and discharged, striking him in the abdomen.

"I heard him say, 'I'm shot,' " said Bill Hayter, an employee of the Star-Banner who was standing next to the man. "I saw him slumping to the ground and I called 911."

Hayter said bystanders propped up the man's feet and head and performed CPR.

Kat Kelley, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, said Saturday that the agency constructed and maintained the building and the range. However, Kelley said they do not own the range, as it is on U.S. Forestry property.

Kelley said since the 1990s, the agency is only aware of two accidents on the range, both of which occurred in the 1990s. In the first case, blood was found on the range but there were no reports of anyone being injured there. The second incident was in the late 1990s when a man's weapon exploded. Three people, including the gun owner, suffered minor injuries.

Web sites dedicated to cowboy action shooting describe it as a fast growing sport. The weapons used are mostly older style guns, and the shooter attempts to hit as many targets as he can in the shortest time possible.

"This is a rarity," said Johnny Nelson, from Roswell, N.M., of the shooting.

www.ocala.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051218/NEWS/212180390/1001/news01
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Ban cowboy action shooting! Its for the children!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
......................The second incident was in the late 1990s when a man's Glock exploded. Three people, including the gun owner, suffered minor injuries................

Did I win?

ETA: Hot damn!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like he might have tried to spin the gun on his finger, western movie style.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Note to self.  When twirlling a single action pistol make sure you don't cock it first.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]

<snip>

"This is a rarity," said Johnny Nelson, from Roswell, N.M., of the shooting.

That's just what they want you to think. The truth is out there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ban single action pistols.  It's for the cowboys.  

Except in the case of Brokeback Mountain.  Let them pactice all day.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
sounds like he might have tried to spin the gun on his finger, western movie style.

With the hammer back on a single action, no less.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Note to self.  When twirlling a single action pistol make sure you don't cock it first.

Or have the hammer down on a loaded chamber or be otherwise clueless.

Ouchie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Paging Mr. Darwin...clean-up on Lane 12.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
"Hold my beer and watch this!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Why does the press always say "shot himself to death"? That just sounds odd to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Why does the press always say "shot himself to death"? That just sounds odd to me.

Just about everything they say sounds odd.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#13]
"141 could draw faster than he, but Irving was looking for 143......"

"....Finally, Irving got three slugs in the belly. It was right outside the Frontier Deli. He was sitting there twirling his gun around, and butterfingers Irving gunned himself down. Irving, Irving the 142nd fastest gun (pop) in the west."
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

- A 39-year-old man accidentally shot himself to death

Damn, how many shots did he fire?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Ironic that the guns used in "cowboy action shooting" received a specific exemptions from California drop testing and relibility testing requirements.  That was NRA's big win in 1999.  When they had to chose between foighting a "AW" ban and a handgun safety reliabilty testing requirement they put all their money into getting Cowboy guns exempted.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Ironically, he shot himself at high noon...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

"....Finally, Irving got three slugs in the belly. It was right outside the Frontier Deli. He was sitting there twirling his gun around, and butterfingers Irving gunned himself down. Irving, Irving the 142nd fastest gun (pop) in the west."

The Ballad of Irving
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ballad of Irving

Beat me to it!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Blam blam.  Oh shit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ironically, he shot himself at high noon...

Guess the town wasn't big enough for the both of him.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#21]
If I had to take a guess he wasn't spinning the gun on purpose.  He was firing one handed according to the article.  He was probably cocking the gun with a thumb on the hammer and giving the muzzle a flick down while hanging onto the hammer.  Problem is...  If your thumb slips the gun is spun unintentionally toward your belly.  "the weapon somehow rotated toward him and discharged, striking him in the abdomen".

Bet they make new rules for the "Duelist" division soon.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like a negligent discharge.

I've been a SASS member for about 6 years now.  Certified as Range Officer 1 and Range Officer 2.  

How he got the muzzle pointed at himself, I wasn't there so I can't say for sure.  But if the article didn't say he was shooting "Gunfighter" style, I would have suspected that he was drawing from a crossdraw holster with his finger on the trigger and cocking the revolver as he drew and somehow fumbled ended up pointing the gun at himself, and fired one off.  

I've done a lot of gunfighter style shooting, and have never even been close to having my own gun aimed at me while firing a stage.

All I can really figure based on the article, is that the shot hit or nicked the abdominal aorta and he basically bled to death rather quickly, probably dieing at the range and they didn't make a determination until he got to the hospital.  

SASS rules are rather specific about the muzzle being pointed downrange before cocking the weapon.  And those folks saying he was spinning the gun, it's very unlikely that was happening.  Doing something like that is about the fastest way to get yourself kicked off a CAS range and told to never return.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#23]
cowboy action shooting sounds like fun to me, except for the dressing up like a gay cowboy part.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
According to the Sheriff's Office, he was married and had children. Deputies also said he was in the area on a job interview. Deputies said the man has a wife and children.

I take it he had a wife and children.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
cowboy action shooting sounds like fun to me, except for the dressing up like a gay cowboy part.

More pudding, here, please!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ironic that the guns used in "cowboy action shooting" received a specific exemptions from California drop testing and relibility testing requirements.  That was NRA's big win in 1999.  When they had to chose between foighting a "AW" ban and a handgun safety reliabilty testing requirement they put all their money into getting Cowboy guns exempted.

bet it had more to do with S.A.S.S. being based in Ca then it did with the NRA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Wonder what kind of 38special round he was using?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I handled as almost identical shooting case here about 2 years ago.
Guy practicing in front of a mirror with a Vaquero shot himself under the chin and out the top of his head.  I had a hell of a time convincing the M.E. that is wasn't a suicide.  She thought I was pulling her leg about CAS. "People actually DO that?"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah, it sounds dangerous.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#30]
People with huge guts, and that don't know any better, often have the horrible habit of pointing their muzzles inward as they try and find the top of the holster opening.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

.........and this was an issue in what way in this event?

Gee, it almost has the tone of "why do we need cowboy guns",  much like "why do we need black rifles", or "why do we need .50BMG rifles". SASS wrote letters.  Every one of us.  How many here write letters to be part of the solution?

This was an unfortunate event in the shooting sports world and happened to an enthusiast.  An enthusiast like most of us here.  May he rest in peace.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just doesn't sound right when they say "Shot himself to life".
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems to me they moved to New Mexico.  But then, again, I am new at this.....

/Founders Ranch
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Read the fourth post here and give it a little thought:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24326

hot linky

Mods:  I will remove the hot link if it is an issue.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
According to the Sheriff's Office, he was married and had children. Deputies also said he was in the area on a job interview. Deputies said the man has a wife and children.

I take it he had a wife and children.

yeah, I guess the editor failed to see the redundancy.... I guess the staff at the range didn't know he had a wife and kids....else they would have said it too.

Shame overall, but I hate the fact the anti's will use this as a tool against guns and not against stupid mistakes.  

I was chopping wood once, had the axe glance of the wood at a knot and hit the outside of my leg, cut a flap into my jeans...and my leg.  BAN THE AX!  Do it for the legs!  

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#38]
that is why just about every trick shooter worth their salt uses blanks or wax bullets when doing exibitions
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Wonder what kind of 38special round he was using?  

Probably a round nose flat point lead with a reduced powder charge.

Most SASS shooters do not use full power loads.  I do, but I'm firing 44-40 blackpowder handloads... we4l, I call them handloads but I actually load them on a Dillon 650.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Cleaning up the gene pool.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I told you guns are dangerous...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
that is why just about every trick shooter worth their salt uses blanks or wax bullets when doing exibitions

or practicing....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#43]

I bet he was being interviewed for a spot in the Department of Redundancy department of the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Becasue they hate guns and want you to hate guns, too. For the children!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Cleaning up the gene pool.

What is that supposed to mean?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems to me they moved to New Mexico.  But then, again, I am new at this.....

/Founders Ranch

maybe so when I was doing it they were in ca.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I sure hope there isn't a knee-jerk "close the range" reaction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

lol yeah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top