Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2005 8:33:07 AM EDT
Looking to purchase a new vehicle sometime this week. Having trouble deciding which transmission to choose. Manual is cheaper and more fun to drive, but there is one aspect that bugs me. As gun owners, we practice shooting strong/weak hand only in case one side becomes disabled. Unfortunately, driving stick requires two feet, so if one of my legs gets injured, I won't be able to drive at all. Valid concern?

Also, do manual transmissions require more maintenance?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The advantages of a manual do not outweigh the convenience of an auto IMO
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#2]
just try not to break your legs
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#3]
My opinion is get the auto if you drive in traffic a lot, stick otherwise.  You are thinking too much... get the one you prefer.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
manual all the way, cheaper, better milage, will last alot longer if you drive em right.  Automatics just drain alot of power.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My opinion is get the auto if you drive in traffic a lot, stick otherwise.  You are thinking too much... get the one you prefer.  

+1

I much prefer a manual.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#6]
As stated, if you do a lot of city driving, go with automatic.

Only an idiot would have a stick in Chicago's stop and go traffic.

One other point you haven't addressed yet is resale value.

Cars with "standard" (manual) transmissions don't resell well.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
manual all the way, cheaper, better milage, will last alot longer if you drive em right.  Automatics just drain alot of power.

Nowadays, not so true.

Cheaper - ya
Better mpg - Not always, in fact, a few cars built today get better mileage WITH the auto.
Reliable - anything is reliable as long as you "drive em right".

And since technology has advanced a lot, auto's dont drain that much power anymore.

The only way I'd ever buy a manual vehicle is for:
An old muscle car, manual would be fun.
or
Exotic sports car

Anything else, automatic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I would never own an automatic, yeah, PITA for a manual in stop and go, but shifting is just a reflex for me now, done without thinking
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
car or truck?

do you plan on towing anything?

what do you feel more comfortable with?

i prefer manual.  i learned to drive on manual, every truck i've owned has been manual, and i have no intentions of ever owning an automatic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#10]
My car has an auto, my truck has a manual.

I like the manual.  It makes me feel like I'm actually controlling the vehicle and not just sitting in the cushy seat pointing the front end at openings in traffic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Im lazy, auto for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nowadays, not so true.

Yep, I hadn't heard of a "torque converter lockup" until a friend's malfunctioned on him.

His early 90's Cavalier started dying at stop lights.   It acted as if he forget to push down
on the clutch pedal.....  except it was an automatic tranny.

These torque converters actually physically lock up when they reach 3rd gear, and are just
as efficient at that point as a manual transmission is.  No hydraulic slipping.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#13]
It depends on the vehicle.  Any sportscar with an automatic is pretty much sacreliege.  

If it's a truck/SUV/wagon/sedan... screw it, get an automatic.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I severely sprained my ankle which required keeping my ankle immobilized in a post op splint type brace.  No driving with a manual transmission until the pain eased enough.  Still difficult moving my foot around with the brace on.  Shoulder surgery, arm in sling and immobilized for two weeks following surgery.  No driving a manual transmission.
Manual is my preference, but I see the usefulness and convenience of automatic transmissions.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From working on cars (and guns) I have found that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, usually if you want something to work keeping it simple is the best bet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#16]
you have been watcing Ronin again, eh?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#17]
BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#18]
When my brother in-law busted his leg guess what.
He couldn't drive a stick. Shit happens and he was driving my dads car for the duration and my dad driving a stick again after 30 years was kinda funny.
The only maintenance I ever did on a stick was changing the fluid. Mine used ATF tranny fluid for oil.
I did replace the clutch once but that was at 130K.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I REFUSE to drive any vehicle with an automatic transmission.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From working on cars (and guns) I have found that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, usually if you want something to work keeping it simple is the best bet.

True, but even the simplest things go wrong.

And besides, Chevy is making some pretty bulletproof trannies lately.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Only drawback to a stick I've ever found is that it's a lot harder to eat or drink a beverage while you drive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I would never own an automatic, yeah, PITA for a manual in stop and go, but shifting is just a reflex for me now, done without thinking

Agreed.  I live in the Altanta area.  With the exception of 5 years in Savannah, I have been driving in Atlanta traffic with a manual tranny since 1967.  I actually find it easier than driving an automatic in heavy traffic.  Usually just 2nd and 3rd, ease along, hardly touch the brakes, don't do the accordian bit.

Besides, automatics are also known as WIMPomatics.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#23]
What kind of car?

Auto for a commuter car
Stick for a sports car/fun car

Will you be towing a trailer?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I guess I'm an idiot.

I hate automatics and would never own another one.

I can drive with one foot anyway.  Clutch, put it in 1st, let the clutch out and start moving, then press gas and move.  Shifting can be the same way or without the clutch, your choice.

Automatics suck.  Why have only 4 forward gears when you can have 5 or 6?

145,000+ miles.  Zero maintenance, original clutch,etc.  Should be good for 200,000, then I'll junk it and buy another $6000 truck, or just drive my other truck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1.

Moreover, with the hydraulic clutches in cars these days, if you cant opperate it, you probably should not be driving.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#26]
It's hard to drive a stick shift, while holding a cell phone to your ear, and work the clutch and accelerator.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Both my wife and I are manual trasmission fanatics, so she was more than a bit upset when she dislocated her right elbow last winter, and couldn't shift gears for over two months. We ended up buying a minivan for her anyway, but we had to buy it sooner than we wanted, because of the shifting gears thing.

Automatics have their place, but I just don't care for them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:15:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm an idiot.

I can drive with one foot anyway.  Clutch, put it in 1st, let the clutch out and start moving, then press gas and move.  Shifting can be the same way or without the clutch, your choice.

145,000+ miles.  Zero maintenance, original clutch,etc.  Should be good for 200,000, then I'll junk it and buy another $6000 truck, or just drive my other truck.

How about 8spd auto transmission?  Cuz they are making them nowadays.  7 and 8 speed transmissions.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Get both, auto for city driving, manual for fun.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Over half my vehicles have been manual, and I love 'em.  

HH
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I'm an idiot.

How about 8spd auto transmission?  Cuz they are making them nowadays.  7 and 8 speed transmissions.

Yeah, for bigass trucks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It depends on the vehicle.  Any sportscar with an automatic is pretty much sacreliege.  

If it's a truck/SUV/wagon/sedan... screw it, get an automatic.  

+1.  When I bought my current car a fwe years ago, there was NO WAY I was gettin an automatic.

Quoted:
It's hard to drive a stick shift, while holding a cell phone to your ear, and work the clutch and accelerator.

The stearing wheel does not require hands at all times.

Anyways, REAL MEN drive manual!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#33]
i suppose it would depend on the vehicle.  Some of them  like my mustang have almost no foot room.  i only have a size 9.5 paw too.

auto/ manual ? i guess i could go either way. But it nice just to turn the key put it in "D" and just go after a hard days work.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I REFUSE to drive any vehicle with an automatic transmission.

I won't go quite that far, but I certainly won't buy one if I have a choice.

Curiously, the clutch on my 01 Camaro appears to be an optional-use item. The system appears to have a 'safety' whereby without the clutch, there is a certain rev-band per gear where a little block opens up, and you can change gear without depressing the clutch.

It's probably not good for the car, and if you 'miss' the rev band you're probably going to have to hit the clutch anyway, or play with the accelerator until you get the 'sweet spot' again.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I prefer manual (thats just me)

In my little 4 banger neon (RT) - The manual makes a huge difference (on the performance side)
and better gas mileage (With that car)

I could see a manual being cumbersome on some cars/trucks . .

Like a big SUV or something - might be alittle wierd with a manual - or a big luxury car

If you are getting manual - make sure its a hydralic clutch (i think all new cars are now days) - They make a world of difference - you wont ever feel the pedal become harder to push as the plates wear out . . . . . .

Anyways - Good luck with the new car!!!

oh and btw: GENERALLY SPEAKING - manual tranny's are alittle more care free- plus if it dies - you can usally get a new one for around 500 (with my car you can anyways)
And depending on how you drive, you might have to replace the clutch once or twice
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#36]
None of my trucks have slushboxes.  My '67 F350 has a damn near new T18 4speed (rebuilt 5000mi ago), the '72 F350 wrecker has a Clark OD 5speed with worn synchros and my '68 crewcab F600 4x4 runs a Clark 1:1 5speed with a 3speed brownie.

I've only 2 cars with autos, one was the '71 Buick GS I wrecked and the other is the '64 Lincoln Continental I currently own, but haven't torn into yet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Anyways, REAL MEN drive manual!

+5-speed
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I got a manual in my 4banger pickup (00 Sonoma)... I pretty much prefer a manual in everything,  occasionally if I get stopped in traffic it is a pita, but thats not very often...  I also get about 28mpg with it..  I have driven the same thing in an auto, and its a real dog compared to the 5sp.  Plus I like the maintenance on it alot better too..  take the plugs out drain the fluid, refill done..  no filters or gaskets, or face full of atf to deal with.

I got my Jeep in an auto for one reason..  When I go out to play on the trails, I like to get myself in some tricky spots, so worrying about rolling back or dealing with the clutch is not something I want to have to think about.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

These torque converters actually physically lock up when they reach 3rd gear, and are just
as efficient at that point as a manual transmission is.  No hydraulic slipping.

Pump losses.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Cars with "standard" (manual) transmissions don't resell well.

I really don't understand why anyone cares about resale value.  If you're trading your car in or selling it before it's worth almost nothing anyway, then you obviously aren't concerned with saving money.

A car isn't an investment, except in very rare cases.  It is a consumable.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Lets see,

Manual Transmission lower maintenance costs, more power, better gas mileage, and cheaper overall.

Auto Eh what can you say.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I had to make this decision this past summer.  I narrowed it down to an 05 Nissan Xterra, because they are cool and available with a stickshift, or an 04 Tahoe Z71, because they are bigger.
If GM hadn't slashed all their prices, and the used car resale value along with them, I would be driving a Nissan right now.

The Colorado/Canyon platform is available with a stick shift, but only with a little 4 banger.  If you want any other options or a crew cab, sorry.

My last ride was an 84 F150, with the 300 in line 6 and a 5 speed.  I had to replace the clutch about 100,000 miles.  (180,000 when I sold it, and still going strong, but starting to rust).

I say personal preference.

I still miss the clutch sometimes, but not when I am stuck in traffic!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I've had both, there are advantages and disadvantages to both, manuals can be fun, but sometimes they are just a pain in the a$$.  If you get stuck in traffic a manual transmission is an evil device of torture, if something happens to a foot or leg, a manual sucks big time, and you are severely limited or unable to drive a stick.  A good automatic has very little downside, mostly just not as fun as a stick.

The biggest advantage I found in a manual transmission...none of my relatives could drive a stick, on the times they might ask to borrow my car, all I had to do was remind them it was a manual tranny, and they went off to beg someone else to loan them their car!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Lets see,

Manual Transmission lower maintenance costs, more power, better gas mileage, and cheaper overall.

Auto Eh what can you say.

True, but VASTLY fewer options.  How many cars or truck can you even get with a stick anymore?  Damn few.  If a stick shift is one of your necessities, you are really limiting your choices.  I know, because I looked for about 2 months.  I found exactly one new production vehicle I liked with a manual transmission.  I found lots I would have liked if they had been available with a third pedal...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Manual  27
Auto   24 (F-OT)

It was close.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow!  How have we managed never to have this debate here before?...

ETA:  Sorry!  I just realized that that sounded harsher than I meant it to be or than it should be.

These threads rarely go well and many get locked before all is said and done.  Convicted adherents on either side talk over/past one another until it becomes an ugly shouting match on par with most Ford/Chevy or Glock/1911 threads.  There are good, valid points to discuss on both sides, but they are almost always lost in the vitriol... I truly hope this one will be an exception.  Carry on.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I had to make this decision this past summer.  I narrowed it down to an 05 Nissan Xterra, because they are cool and available with a stickshift, or an 04 Tahoe Z71, because they are bigger.
If GM hadn't slashed all their prices, and the used car resale value along with them, I would be driving a Nissan right now.

The Colorado/Canyon platform is available with a stick shift, but only with a little 4 banger.  If you want any other options or a crew cab, sorry.

My last ride was an 84 F150, with the 300 in line 6 and a 5 speed.  I had to replace the clutch about 100,000 miles.  (180,000 when I sold it, and still going strong, but starting to rust).

I say personal preference.

I still miss the clutch sometimes, but not when I am stuck in traffic!

Bought a Nissan Frontier about a year ago.  I absolutely will not have an auto.  It was the only thing I could find with a manual.  I am sure I could have had some dealer find one somewhere, but it turned out that I really like this thing.  It's a crew cab long bed V6 and I am very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

{Brief Hijack}
The 5-speed manual is available with the 5-cylinder as well.  In fact, the 5-speed is available in all configurations, except as you said,  the crew cab.  (Without looking at the specs, I believe that the manual tranny also reduces the towing capacity of the vehicle.)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#49]
The only time I really appreciated the automatic transmission on my car was two weeks ago.  I drove myself home from my vasectomy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

{Brief Hijack}
The 5-speed manual is available with the 5-cylinder as well.  In fact, the 5-speed is available in all configurations, except as you said,  the crew cab.  (Without looking at the specs, I believe that the manual tranny also reduces the towing capacity of the vehicle.)

On my Frontier, it's the same with either.  I have seen others where the towing capacity is reduced with the manual and I don't understand it, unless they think someone driving a manual would burn up the clutch while starting off with a trailer behind them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top