Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 8:17:21 AM EDT
So some wack job comes into my business buys some stuff uses it then decides they dont have any money to pay.  Then when i wont just let him walk out he tries to pay with a credit card with the wrong name (probably stolen).

He has a couple backpacks that were on the floor (should have chased him out immediately)

So I tell him "you got two options, pay your bill now or get some money" he tries to grab his bags and I tell him fuck no, you get those when you bring your cash back" at this point he starts screaming and a girl worker calls 911.

He says he will be back and runs out.

Well i wait till we are closing up at about 9PM and i dump his stuff in a trashbag, its full of phone books and other random fliers  (not to mention stolen merchandise) I start thinking, oh good move he will never come back for this crap. So i throw it all by the dumpster.

now last night I am at work, employee tells me cops want to talk with the manager.

I go out there and the cop says "you know what this is about right"  I was like "i am guessing the crazy guy that we called the cops about 2 days ago?"

He was really cool and told me the guy is nuts and not to ever let him on the property.

so we did the exchange and i got my cash back.

the part that burns me was that my work called the cops but they never showed but they got involved with this idiot and tried to help him.  I also was kinda pissed that the guy had a bunch of stolen stuff, tried to steal from me, had a bad credit card yet nothing was done to him...

glad I stood my ground though I have been ripped off so many times by fraud it really takes its toll.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you made a mistake in keeping his things unless you had reason to believe it was evidence of his stealing, like if he stuffed something in his bag to try to shoplift.  It's his property.

yet nothing was done to him...

That pisses me off too.  We do bookkeeping, security, and deposits for several different customers and end-up getting in the middle of bad situations where employees or customers have stolen something, but it's been years since I can remember the police ever doing something about a thief.  They just don't care.

so many times by fraud it really takes its toll

And eventually after enough times where the police don't do something about it, shop owners and employees start to take the law into their own hands.  That's where the serious problem starts, like when the local Best Buy security beat a guy to death because they didn't like how he signed the credit card receipt.  They didn't call the police since they knew the cops wouldn't do anything about it.  The cops are the right people to handle these sort of problems.  They have the training and the experience.  When they don't handle problems, people without the same training and experience screw things up.z
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you happen to ask said cop your woman question?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think you made a mistake in keeping his things unless you had reason to believe it was evidence of his stealing, like if he stuffed something in his bag to try to shoplift.  It's his property.

I have been scammed so many times I know not to trust anyone, my intent was not to take his stuff it was to ensure that he would come back with money.  I am pretty sure the only reason he came back with cash was that I kept his stuff.

It wasn't alot of money but when you are running your own business every little bit helps...

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Dude you probably made the crazy guy fell a little uneasy, With you standing there yelling at him "You buy something, You buy something now!! Or get out!!".

I know this would make me flip out!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dude you probably made the crazy guy fell a little uneasy, With you standing there yelling at him "You buy something, You buy something now!! Or get out!!".

"YOU BUY NOW  Seventy fife sent seventy fife sent, YOU GO YOU GO NOW, DEFENSE DEFENSE"

it didn't exactly go down like that,  You have someone come into your house and steal 50 bucks and I would like to see how you would fell about it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My altercation with the police

dictionary broken?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

hows yours doing???
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"YOU BUY NOW  Seventy fife sent seventy fife sent, YOU GO YOU GO NOW, DEFENSE DEFENSE"

it didn't exactly go down like that,  You have someone come into your house and steal 50 bucks and I would like to see how you would fell about it?

LOL I own a gunshop.. Bounced checks suck! And I do greet all my customers with..  "You buy something, You buy something now!! Or get out!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL I own a gunshop.. Bounced checks suck! And I do greet all my customers with..  "You buy something, You buy something now!! Or get out!"

I'm usually in the back dealing with some BS or paying the government some money

I got called to the front for this one...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

I didn't capitalize it?

damn grammar nazis!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

dork?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

I didn't capitalize it?

damn grammar nazis!

al·ter·ca·tion    (ôltr-kshn)    n.
   A vehement quarrel.

and that applies to this thread how....?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

I only capitalize complete sentences.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

dork?

Capitalization?

I can do this all day.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

dork?

Capitalization?

I can do this all day.

Why would you capitalize non-sentences?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

dork?

Capitalization?

I can do this all day.

exactly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

dork?

Capitalization?

I can do this all day.

Why would you capitalize non-sentences?

Because.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#19]
When I come into contact with someone who has a credit card that does not belong to them, here's is what must happen to make an arrest.

First you have to rule out that they lawfully possess the card.  Many people use their parents or other family members cards.  People get married or divorsed without changing names. People give their card to a friend and send him on a beer/cigs run.

Then you run the credit card number to see if it has been reported stolen.  Unfortunately lots of people never report their stolen cards to the police, just to the CC company.  So maybe 1:100 stolen cards will get a positive hit.

So now the hard part.  You try to track down the owner of the card, often based on the first name middle initial and last name on the card alone. That takes a really long time and while you are doing it you have the suspect detained for investigation of possible stolen properrty.  Every second that passess is one more second towards and unlawfull detention.

If you get lucky, you track down the card owner. Ask her if she every had a CC lost or stolen.  Usually you will get some rally vague answers "I think so, like a year and a half ago"  Did you report it stolen?  "Maybe."  Do you know the case number?  "I'm sure i could find it, i just dont know where to look."  Do you remeber which LE angency you reported the theft to?  "I cant remeber if it was at my work or at home."  What were the circumstances of the theft? "I left my purse at a party and when I went back two days later we couldnt find it.'

Now if the theft just occured, you send an officer from the juristiction where it occured to take an initial crime report for theft.  You cant arrest the suspect without that report.  If the theft occured months ago you hope the victim has a case number.  Further complicating things is the victim may have called the police, but then decided she didnt need a report.  Or they took a lost property report instead of a theft report.  You cannot arrest the suspect for possession of stolen property if the victim has not reorted the item stolen.  Reporting it lost means no possession of stolen property charges and the most you can get is CPC 485 Misapproapriate lost property, which is a citation.

Any defense attorny worth a shit is going to realize this investigation took hours and is going to argue unlawfull/over detention.  He's also going to argue that his client had no way of knowing the CC was stoeln, and since they dont include much info about the owner he had no way of returning it to the owner.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#20]

here's is what must happen to make an arrest

Since no one else has said it, thank you for your post.  It's always nice to hear the other half of the story.  All we the public sees is that "the police are doing nothing."  I understand better now why they don't usually take action in this situation.z
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

the part that burns me was that my work called the cops but they never showed but they got involved with this idiot and tried to help him.  I also was kinda pissed that the guy had a bunch of stolen stuff, tried to steal from me, had a bad credit card yet nothing was done to him...

I don’t believe you. Cops are the good guys and would NEVER do such a thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

I read the entire post and am still waiting for the altercation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

I read the entire post and am still waiting for the altercation.

+1 still awaiting results of said altercation....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Did you happen to ask said cop your woman question?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
"  My altercation with the police "

I do not see anywhere in your post where you had an altercation with the police??? am i missing something?  

: al·ter·ca·tion
Pronunciation: "ol-t&r-'kA-sh&n
Function: noun
: a noisy heated angry dispute; also : noisy controversy
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

dork?

Capitalization?

I can do this all day.

Yea, with your grammer.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Im still waiting to see where the altercation with police occured in the post? im no sure the author knows the real meaning of it or he meant something totally different
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

here's is what must happen to make an arrest

Since no one else has said it, thank you for your post.  It's always nice to hear the other half of the story.  All we the public sees is that "the police are doing nothing."  I understand better now why they don't usually take action in this situation.z

One probably would not want to live in a society where the police acted instantly and severely based on someone's say-so that a crime was committed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is your dictionary broken?

Capitalization?

I didn't capitalize it?

damn grammar nazis!

Ok, I have to do my first one

fragment
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Somethin' stinks around here  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top