Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 6:43:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard a peep about this.

(not in any science/tech subscriptions I get)

Do they have a name for this new system?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
My uncle has a radio that get that in his car. It basically tells the station and the artist/title. I don't think it will "kill" satellite radio. All that is happening is that the terrestrial radio is getting better in order to survive. And it took sattelite radio threatening terrestrial existence for that to happen.

Terrestrial radio will never come close to satellite in the programming dept. 99% of terrestrial is music. and one or two stations that have talk. sattelite is unregulated by the FCC - so you get the uncensored comedy channels and howard stern. There is just more freedom in sattelite. There is still a place for terrestrial though also.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
so basically it's a lot of hype and not much more then

Yes.

Satellite radio is going nowhere but up IMO.

SG
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I haven't heard a peep about this.

(not in any science/tech subscriptions I get)

Do they have a name for this new system?

Why yes.  Yes they do.

Link

I'm sure you'll start to see this more and more.  It looks like you can simulcast five digital channels along with the one analogue one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

is this going to kill sattelite radio?

No. Local radio will still suck. This just means it will be a higher definition and variety of suckage.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Mike,
I think HD digital radio is a weak argument against satellite.  Satellite will continue to improve year after year.  

They still have to run commercials for HD digital radio.  That is one of the reasons I choose satellite.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top