Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 5:14:40 AM EDT

www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=16499826&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=girls-burn-barbie-in-hate-ritual--name_page.html

GIRLS BURN BARBIE IN HATE RITUAL
By Tom Parry

GIRLS hate Barbie so much that many torture, maim and cut her head off, says research out yesterday.

Many seven to 11-year-olds revile her because she is a "babyish" reminder of their early childhood. Some microwaved or burned them.

Yet boys who had outgrown Action Man still had affection for him.

Many girls thought it "cool" to mutilate Barbie because she was just a "plastic" doll, according to the Bath University study of 100 youngsters.

Dr Agnus Nairn said: "It's as though disavowing Barbie is a rite of passage."

But he added: "Whilst for an adult the delight the child felt in torturing dolls is disturbing, from their point of view they were being imaginative disposing of an excessive commodity in the same way as one might crush cans for recycling."

Kids, who spend £3billion pocket money a year, also hate being targeted by advertisers. And they are more likely to chat about celebrities than toys and games.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I burned and blew up my GI Joe stuff with fireworks, but not because I hated them. I just needed stuff to explode.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Ban Barbie! It's for the children!

Or

Pass a law making it a felony to torture girl's dolls. This is probably finding its way through the NJ leglislature as we speak.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds to me like these girls need to rounded up for intenstive counseling.  They obviously have aggression issues which have to be addressed by a government licensed doctor, and put on a strict regimine of anti-depressants.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
flymeaway.net/images/blink.gif

www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=16499826&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=girls-burn-barbie-in-hate-ritual--name_page.html

GIRLS BURN BARBIE IN HATE RITUAL
By Tom Parry

GIRLS hate Barbie so much that many torture, maim and cut her head off, says research out yesterday.

Many seven to 11-year-olds revile her because she is a "babyish" reminder of their early childhood. Some microwaved or burned them.

Yet boys who had outgrown Action Man still had affection for him.

Many girls thought it "cool" to mutilate Barbie because she was just a "plastic" doll, according to the Bath University study of 100 youngsters.

Dr Agnus Nairn said: "It's as though disavowing Barbie is a rite of passage."

But he added: "Whilst for an adult the delight the child felt in torturing dolls is disturbing, from their point of view they were being imaginative disposing of an excessive commodity in the same way as one might crush cans for recycling."

Kids, who spend £3billion pocket money a year, also hate being targeted by advertisers. And they are more likely to chat about celebrities than toys and games.

And to think that someday... some lucky guy will marry one of these loonies
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I burned and blew up my GI Joe stuff with fireworks, but not because I hated them. I just needed stuff to explode.

You said it! I think it's a male's right-of-passage to dismember his GI Joes via some explosive device.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Who the fuck does "research" on this kind of thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
 An interesting phenomenon.  when I was a kid a friend of mine's sister ( who was a bout 13 or so ) told us we could shoot/blow up/burn all of her barbies....we found it odd....but she insisted it was not a trap.

So....this was in the mid seventies....we tried to turn Barbie into the first female astronaut.  Sadly, despite the C model Este's engines taped to her back....she wasn't quite aerodynamic enough to fly straight.....

instead the flaming, crazy bimbo chased us all over the yard doing these rather disturbing floppy cartwheels......

it was pretty cool but we could never duplicate the effect....no matter how many Barbie's we tried to launch.....

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
hmmmmm..   We used to wait for my sisters to leave and rip off the barbie heads and some of them got hung..  I think Barbies vette probably has the record for the longest launch off of a ramp  boy would they get pissed
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Once again proof, the differences between men and women

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#11]
WTF, I never burned or blew shit up due to hate but only cause I wanted to burn and blow shit up.
The UK has some explaining to do
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yep.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Future bunny boilers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 An interesting phenomenon.  when I was a kid a friend of mine's sister ( who was a bout 13 or so ) told us we could shoot/blow up/burn all of her barbies....we found it odd....but she insisted it was not a trap.

So....this was in the mid seventies....we tried to turn Barbie into the first female astronaut.  Sadly, despite the C model Este's engines taped to her back....she wasn't quite aerodynamic enough to fly straight.....

instead the flaming, crazy bimbo chased us all over the yard doing these rather disturbing floppy cartwheels......

it was pretty cool but we could never duplicate the effect....no matter how many Barbie's we tried to launch.....

That's some funny shit right there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I used to hang my sisters barbies by the neck.  Never destroyed them though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
And to think that someday... some lucky guy will marry one of these loonies

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I sold my old Star Wars toys recently to fund 2 new uppers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say that girls mutilate Barbies, because Barbie is an unbelievably perverted body image for girls

that age. Girls enter puberty, begin developing and adding weight to their frames, and it becomes

increasingly difficult to achieve the large chested figure with a small frame that Barbie, and all other

dolls these days, portray. I have a 9 year old sister that plays with Barbies and I can't imagine the

thoughts that will go through her head when she becomes more cognizant of her body and how her

development isn't paralleling Barbies. It's just unrealistic expectations that are put on both young male

and female individuals these days that are expected to look like the 20+ yr. old actors and actresses

that are cast in movies to play high schoolers and marketed to a high school audience. Okay, I'm

stepping off my soap-box now.

- Kool-Aid (LCA ts1337)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top