Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 7:47:44 PM EDT
I got a puppy.  I've had dogs in the past, but always got them as juvenile/young adult.

First Puppy.

This one is supposedly a Terrier/Lab mix (supposedly the mother was at the pound--the terrier, but probably a mix also).  Although, the puppy looks closer to what they called a Lab/Beagle mix.    Black with a little white on the chest and one rear paw tip.

7 wks old.

Female.

Couple of questions:

#1.  Whines/cries when placed into the crate.  I avoid going near the crate when I place her in it (so the whines don't seem to bring attention).  Anything else I should be doing?

#2.  Tears the newspaper up in the crate and also the training pad.  I don't mind the mess, but am more worried about her eating the stuff and getting a blockage.  Any recommendations (or just leave the plastic pan in the bottom of the crate bare)?

#3.  Here 1 week--already urinating on the training pad.  However, craps all over the place.  I try to catch her and bring her to the pad.  Keep doing that or something different?

#4.  Still very timid when comes out of the crate (won't leave my legs) for about 15-20 minutes, then goes off to explore.  How long will this behavior normally last?

Thanks!!

Jersey:

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont know, but thats a cute puppy!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
#1 - normal.   Don't give in like us and let them out.

#2 - you can get some washable training pads

#3 - just keep doing that.  you may want to put down more pads, she may not want to poop where she pees

#4 - probably just because she's young.  just make sure the crate is her "safe place", NOT a punishment.   That behavior will fade away pretty quick - a few weeks, as I recall
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Everything seems normal (or at least what my puppy was like). Try putting something not easily shredded but easily washed like some old towels in the crate, and maybe a chewtoy as well.  Also when my dog was a puppy whenever he was out of the crate, he was NEVER out of sight, that way you can catch them sniffing around before they quat to take a crap and hurry them to the pad (in your case) or outside. If you're doing somethign and cant keep following her around try closing the door to the room you're in or getting some baby gates to contain her.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
One thing you might try with the crate is to give going to the crate a positive reward. Whenever it's time to go to the crate, say "Kennel Up" and give her a small food reward when she goes in. Might help to make her happier about being in the crate. When we crate trained our dog, after a while all you had to say was "Den UP" and he'd go right to his crate and get in on his own.

The other thing you can do is to make the crate "Cozier" ... put a blanket over the top, so it's more of a refuge. It can make it feel safer to the dog not being expose on all sides. When I was crate training my Lab, we only left the front exposed. It also has the effect of the dog not being able to see you walking around. Dogs have an "Out of sight, out of mind" mindset ... if they can't see you, they tend to not get so winy, and need to be with you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
A: Feed her in the crate, at least initially. When she's done eating, remove the food. Get her used to the idea that the crate is where she should be.

B: Play with your pup, with a toy or something she seems to like. Put it in her crate, or toss it in as part of the game, let her go in and get it. When its time to put her in the crate, put the toy in with her.

c: Make the crate comfortable, like folks said "cozy". Get a washable crate pad, don't use newspaper.

d: The instant she comes out of the crate, take her outside to pee/poop. If she doesn't do anything, don't put her back in the crate, but don't reward her. If she does pee, praise her lavishly, and take her back in to open play.

Repeat these, and unless she's brain damaged she'll learn in a VERY short time and will NOT mess up her crate.

Good luck, great looking black lab.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations on the new puppy!  Here's a bit of advice from me.  First 7 weeks is pretty darn young.  Be patient.  Next no doubt the puppy is having some separation anxieties.  The old remedy of hot water bottles, stuff animal to snuggle with and ticking alarm clock will help.

Next just like kids that want to get up for a drink of water puppies will want to be with you rather than their crate.  Establish a routine, good night puppy, place it in the crate, cover the crate or turn off the light and leave.  Leave the puppy alone and listen.  If it starts howling listen to the howls.  It is a panic howl go get the puppy take it outside to do its business and then repeat your routine.  Do not play with the puppy or overly pet it.  Be firm that its night night time and it needs to go into its crate.  It typically takes 2-3 nights to crate train the puppy.

Next for house breaking.  I recommend putting the puppy on a leash and keeping it next to you until it is house broke.  Take the puppy out often [with its breeding it will be no doubt a smart boy and learn quickly] and I even take my puppies to one place so that they're not pooping all over the place.   Take the pup out at least once an hour, rewarding it with praise and pets at each success.  When accidents occur race the puppy outside and reward for outside trips.

Remember with in 5 minutes after feeding the puppy will need to empty a tank.  There's only enough room for one full tank.

Feed good quality food and it will cut down on stool and potty trips.  I recommend Purina One or Nutro Natural puppy food.  Eucanuba and Iams are good too but the first two are my favorite.  They are more expensive but the puppy will eat less so it evens out.

It could take the puppy some time to be confident with its surroundings.  Just be patient.  You might try taking the puppy out yourself [lifting it out rather than allowing it to walk out] and carrying her around and see if that will help with its confidence.  

I really recommend "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the New Skete Monks.  Excellent book.

Best wishes,  Patty

Quoted:
I got a puppy.  I've had dogs in the past, but always got them as juvenile/young adult.

First Puppy.

This one is supposedly a Terrier/Lab mix (supposedly the mother was at the pound--the terrier, but probably a mix also).  Although, the puppy looks closer to what they called a Lab/Beagle mix.    Black with a little white on the chest and one rear paw tip.

7 wks old.

Female.

Couple of questions:

#1.  Whines/cries when placed into the crate.  I avoid going near the crate when I place her in it (so the whines don't seem to bring attention).  Anything else I should be doing?

#2.  Tears the newspaper up in the crate and also the training pad.  I don't mind the mess, but am more worried about her eating the stuff and getting a blockage.  Any recommendations (or just leave the plastic pan in the bottom of the crate bare)?

#3.  Here 1 week--already urinating on the training pad.  However, craps all over the place.  I try to catch her and bring her to the pad.  Keep doing that or something different?

#4.  Still very timid when comes out of the crate (won't leave my legs) for about 15-20 minutes, then goes off to explore.  How long will this behavior normally last?

Thanks!!

Jersey:

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/JohnFootDr/Jersey.jpg

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
also you might put a blanket over the kennel sometimes, it calms them down sometimes and makes them go to sleep............
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My dogs LOVE their crates. Each one has their own and they are covered with old blankets. Both hated them to begin with, but quickly found them to be THEIR place and they are pretty possessive about them. All I did was treat them when they got put into it each time, and they quickly learned to like it.
You'll have to learn your pups personality, they are all different and you have to adjust your training methods to work with their personality traits. Keep training sessions SHORT, 10 minutes tops. And start training early cause you're the top dog and they will look at you to see how to act. Newspaper SUCKS for puppies, it's not hazardous as the ink is vegetable based probably. They just love to chew, rip, and shred stuff and paper works well. I just use old towels, hose em off if #2 and wash afterward. Works fine and if you take them outside as mentioned by others you can break them pretty quickly if you understand when and how much to feed them. Buy toys for the chewing that will happen, toys cost less then table and chair legs. And they WILL chew, you just have to teach them WHAT to chew.

In the end, love em and they will be a loyal companion for years, but remember YOU are the leader of the pack. Almost Every shitty dog I ever met was owned by someone who let the dog be the leader. Take poochie to training, and learn how to do it properly.

And cute pup.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a little young to be separating the pup from the mother.  At this age you shouldn't expect miracles with toilet training, or any other behavior. Consider how you would feel if you were a four-year-old and suddenly got adopted. It would take you a little while to settle in.

I never used crates for any of my dogs, and never had most of those problems. I know lots of dog trainers recommend it (including my own breeder). I tried it once and it produced a really unhappy dog. Every dog I have ever had preferred to be by me rather than in some crate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top