Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:15:48 PM EDT
Interesting if it is true.

SouthCoast Today article

Agents' visit chills UMass Dartmouth senior
By AARON NICODEMUS, Standard-Times staff writer

NEW BEDFORD -- A senior at UMass Dartmouth was visited by federal agents two months ago, after he requested a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's tome on Communism called "The Little Red Book."
Two history professors at UMass Dartmouth, Brian Glyn Williams and Robert Pontbriand, said the student told them he requested the book through the UMass Dartmouth library's interlibrary loan program.
The student, who was completing a research paper on Communism for Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism and totalitarianism, filled out a form for the request, leaving his name, address, phone number and Social Security number. He was later visited at his parents' home in New Bedford by two agents of the Department of Homeland Security, the professors said.
The professors said the student was told by the agents that the book is on a "watch list," and that his background, which included significant time abroad, triggered them to investigate the student further.
"I tell my students to go to the direct source, and so he asked for the official Peking version of the book," Professor Pontbriand said. "Apparently, the Department of Homeland Security is monitoring inter-library loans, because that's what triggered the visit, as I understand it."
Although The Standard-Times knows the name of the student, he is not coming forward because he fears repercussions should his name become public. He has not spoken to The Standard-Times.
The professors had been asked to comment on a report that President Bush had authorized the National Security Agency to spy on as many as 500 people at any given time since 2002 in this country.
The eavesdropping was apparently done without warrants.
The Little Red Book, is a collection of quotations and speech excerpts from Chinese leader Mao Tse-Tung.
In the 1950s and '60s, during the Cultural Revolution in China, it was required reading. Although there are abridged versions available, the student asked for a version translated directly from the original book.
The student told Professor Pontbriand and Dr. Williams that the Homeland Security agents told him the book was on a "watch list." They brought the book with them, but did not leave it with the student, the professors said.
Dr. Williams said in his research, he regularly contacts people in Afghanistan, Chechnya and other Muslim hot spots, and suspects that some of his calls are monitored.
"My instinct is that there is a lot more monitoring than we think," he said.
Dr. Williams said he had been planning to offer a course on terrorism next semester, but is reconsidering, because it might put his students at risk.
"I shudder to think of all the students I've had monitoring al-Qaeda Web sites, what the government must think of that," he said. "Mao Tse-Tung is completely harmless."
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I need a list of books that are "watched" so i can order them ALL!!!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Dupe....first time....did I make it???
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dupe....first time....did I make it???

Woot!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
But I thought this would only target terrorists, it would never get to American Citizen's!!!!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
IBTN-CA

ETA:
or IBTBB
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
If they are taking an interest in college students and professors that are looking into communism, the NSA will need alot more resources.

ktm500
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I call BS. There are a bazillion copies of Mao floating around and it's pointless to try to track who's getting a copy. It's more likely that the student just made it all up. Remember, we're talking about some random college kid here, probably with a "Bush = Hitler" poster in his dorm room, out to impress chicks and gullible profs.

Not to mention that Maoists aren't at the tippy-top of the threat matrix right now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Not possible.

The government doesnt care about what the average citizen reads from the library.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
MMMMM, a nameless college student says he was visited. I'd believe aliens visited him first.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

SouthCoast Today article

NEW BEDFORD -- A senior at UMass Dartmouth was visited by federal agents two months ago, after he requested a copy of Mao Tse-Tung's tome on Communism called "The Little Red Book."
Two history professors at UMass Dartmouth, Brian Glyn Williams and Robert Pontbriand, said the student told them he requested the book through the UMass Dartmouth library's interlibrary loan program.
The student, who was completing a research paper on Communism for Professor Pontbriand's class on fascism and totalitarianism, filled out a form for the request, leaving his name, address, phone number and Social Security number. He was later visited at his parents' home in New Bedford by two agents of the Department of Homeland Security, the professors said.
The professors said the student was told by the agents that the book is on a "watch list," and that his background, which included significant time abroad, triggered them to investigate the student further.
"I tell my students to go to the direct source, and so he asked for the official Peking version of the book," Professor Pontbriand said. "Apparently, the Department of Homeland Security is monitoring inter-library loans, because that's what triggered the visit, as I understand it."
Although The Standard-Times knows the name of the student, he is not coming forward because he fears repercussions should his name become public. He has not spoken to The Standard-Times.
The professors had been asked to comment on a report that President Bush had authorized the National Security Agency to spy on as many as 500 people at any given time since 2002 in this country.
The Little Red Book, is a collection of quotations and speech excerpts from Chinese leader Mao Tse-Tung.
In the 1950s and '60s, during the Cultural Revolution in China, it was required reading. Although there are abridged versions available, the student asked for a version translated directly from the original book.
The student told Professor Pontbriand and Dr. Williams that the Homeland Security agents told him the book was on a "watch list." They brought the book with them, but did not leave it with the student, the professors said.
Dr. Williams said in his research, he regularly contacts people in Afghanistan, Chechnya and other Muslim hot spots, and suspects that some of his calls are monitored.
Dr. Williams said he had been planning to offer a course on terrorism next semester, but is reconsidering, because it might put his students at risk.
"I shudder to think of all the students I've had monitoring al-Qaeda Web sites, what the government must think of that," he said. "Mao Tse-Tung is completely harmless."

Your "average American citizen" doesn't:
1) travel extensively out of the country AND
2) maintain contacts with Muslims in Afghanistan and Chechnya AND
3) surf al-Qaeda websites AND
4) read Mao Tse-Tung.

I mean shit man, how many red flags do you think the "average American" should be able to wave without SOMEONE finally taking notice!!???
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SouthCoast Today article

1) travel extensively out of the country,
3) surf al-Qaeda websites

Mac, don't lend credence to this bullshit by pointing out facts.  I doubt any "visit" ever occurred.

We all know that the left would never make up a story, don't we.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#12]

"Mao Tse-Tung is completely harmless."  
 Yeah, right. I think there are used to be about 50 million Chinese who'd disagree with that statement.

I tend to suspect the story is BS, as well. It would be plausible if the book in question were some upper-level physics text containing obscure information about nukes, or a chemistry book discussing poisons. I think the story may end up with a statement from the kid that includes the words "draw attention to the abuses of the Bush administration."

If the story is true, it's scary from both ends: from the internal surveillance end and from the "your tax dollars at work" end. I think the threat posaed by 23 year-old pseudoMaoist posers is minimal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
MMMMM, a nameless college student says he was visited. I'd believe aliens visited him first.

The student confirms he was probed by aliens.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Was this nameless student from south Florida?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
That's another reason why I never learned how to read or write.    
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Attention ho.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#17]

4) read Mao Tse-Tung.

I mean shit man, how many red flags do you think the "average American" should be able to wave without SOMEONE finally taking notice!!???

but how on earth does checking out books trigger the fitst three flags?  I mean, how does all these flags come together.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I bet if you checked out, "The Turner Diaries", "Unintended Consequences" and "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" (assuming they were in a library) you would get a look too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I bet if you checked out, "The Turner Diaries", "Unintended Consequences" and "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" (assuming they were in a library) you would get a look too.

I've bought worse off of amazon and haven't had any open visits.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I forgot how to read after i hit my head during a tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I forgot how to read after i hit my head during a tragic boating accident.

You poor man. Maybe you can go to the library and get the audio versions of those books.(also good for the seeing impaired) RIP SEC
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've bought worse off of amazon and haven't had any open visits.

Oh yes you have.

They simply wiped your memory. [tinfoil]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#23]

We do not know why this guy was looking into this  stuff, for all we know he was wanting to know more about the enemy.  Even if it is not that reason, he has a right to look for the info.  So instead of burning books as a form of censorship, we burn the readers now?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You probably remember from the Green Card application:  "Have you ever been a Communist or Nazi party member?"

This is another reason why I keep a private library.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Some prof says some student told him?

Meaningless hearsay.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually......I think its good.

Looks like, at least, my hard earned tax dollars at work......despite what others may say, but taking good measures, no matter how small they are.

IMHO
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#27]
If he still needs one, he can borrow my copy.  It's the 1969 edition, in English, bought in Kowloon at the Chinese Communist Store in 1970.  I might have a 1972 edition laying around also.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MMMMM, a nameless college student says he was visited. I believe aliens fisted him first.

The student confirms he was probed by aliens.

Now that doesn't surprise me  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If they are taking an interest in college students and professors that are looking into communism, the NSA will need alot more resources.

ktm500

+1

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#30]
<snip>

<snip>

Oh yeah COMPLETELY!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Absolute unfiltered grade A bullshit.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted: Your "average American citizen" doesn't:
4) read Mao Tse-Tung.

No kidding, and he's going to UMass, the place is crawling with anti-American libtards! If they didn't check him, then I'd say the taxpayers aren't getting their money's worth from the library and the DHS.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#33]
NKVD DHLS Agent :this thread has been placed on a watch list.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#34]
This sounds like BS to me. Now if they were getting nuclear physics books on diagrams to make an atomic bomb it would be more believable. Also in the present state of war with radical jihadist I would expect the  FBI to investigate groups looking into advanced nuclear physics dealing with atomic bombs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
This sounds like BS to me. Now if they were getting nuclear physics books on diagrams to make an atomic bomb it would be more believable. Also in the present state of war with radical jihadist I would expect the  FBI to investigate groups looking into advanced nuclear physics dealing with atomic bombs.

I have heard that all the information needed to construct an atom bomb is out there in the public domain.  All that is needed is the patience and resourcefulness to consult the different sources and compile it.

How are they going to be alerted if someone gets a single book from 30 different libraries over a period of several months?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

+100.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard that all the information needed to construct an atom bomb is out there in the public domain.  All that is needed is the patience and resourcefulness to consult the different sources and compile it.

How are they going to be alerted if someone gets a single book from 30 different libraries over a period of several months?

With the electronics available to the NSA dont bet on them not getting it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if they don't check the books out?  What if they steal them or simply copy the pertient info from the library?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What if they don't check the books out?  What if they steal them or simply copy the pertient info from the library?

You can always play the what if game. It goes on forever. Here is another what if-How about taking physics courses overseas in countries that could care less about the security of the US.  It extremely hard to combat. It is impossible to put the genie back into the bottle. Go down to the local university library and start checking out nuclear physics books pertaining to atomic bomb construction if your really interested in checking this out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can always play the what if game. It goes on forever. Here is another what if-How about taking physics courses overseas in countries that could care less about the security of the US.  It extremely hard to combat. It is impossible to put the genie back into the bottle. Go down to the local university library and start checking out nuclear physics books pertaining to atomic bomb construction if your really interested in checking this out.

I'm not really interesteed in building nukes, but I am curious to see how much of this stuff about getting .fed interviews based on book checkouts is bs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey! FieroLoki  fiend  yekimak  Redcap  Chicken Little! How does it feel to be infinitely gullible?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Hey! FieroLoki  fiend  yekimak  Redcap  Chicken Little! How does it feel to be infinitely gullible?

Several called BS on the story earlier on, but the tinfoil types didn't let that bother them.

From your link:

NEW BEDFORD -- The UMass Dartmouth student who claimed to have been visited by Homeland Security agents over his request for "The Little Red Book" by Mao Zedong has admitted to making up the entire story.
The 22-year-old student tearfully admitted he made the story up to his history professor, Dr. Brian Glyn Williams, and his parents, after being confronted with the inconsistencies in his account.

No, the left would never make up BS such as this and other stuff that the tinfoil crowd was jerking off over and the tinfoil wearers would never fall for such lies.  Riiiggghhttt!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#43]
He was about to enroll in flight training classes, too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I didn't feel any need to elaborate on that, and I can't believe anybody was sucked in by it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't feel any need to elaborate on that, and I can't believe anybody was sucked in by it.

I can believe it.  Any excuse to get wound up in their anti-gov "everything the gov does is a conspiracy" bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#46]
but it is a conspiracy. They flashed him with a MIB flashy thingy and told him to say it was made up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
but it is a conspiracy. They flashed him with a MIB flashy thingy and told him to say it was made up.

Damn, I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
"Mao Tse-Tung is completely harmless."

Wow!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1.

Looks like I'm ordering a 'Little Red Book, Peking edition'
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The biggest hurdle is acquiring the required amounts of "weapons grade" fissionable materials.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top