Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 4:02:50 PM EDT
My house doesn't have one. My wife really wants one. Is a $100 garbage disposal going be be a $1000 project? We have no power under our sink, and would need to have all of that contracted out. What's a reasonable ballpark figure to have one of these put in? I can mount it, I'd just need all of the electrical stuff done.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you on Septic or Sewer?

Many seemingly knowledgeable people have told me that you don't want a garbage disposal if you are on a septic system.

I personally wouldn't spend the money to have installed, mine gets used very little.

HTH

Steve
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are you on Septic or Sewer?

Many seemingly knowledgeable people have told me that you don't want a garbage disposal if you are on a septic system.

I personally wouldn't spend the money to have installed, mine gets used very little.

HTH

Steve

Sewer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My house doesn't have one. My wife really wants one. Is a $100 garbage disposal going be be a $1000 project? We have no power under our sink, and would need to have all of that contracted out. What's a reasonable ballpark figure to have one of these put in? I can mount it, I'd just need all of the electrical stuff done.

Why?  Electrical work is easy.

Ranger 689 is right, though.  If you are on sewerSEPTIC, you REALLY don't want one.

ETA: Fixt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Electrical work is easy.

Ranger 689 is right, though.  If you are on sewer, you REALLY don't want one.

Well he is from CA and they dont let anyone work on anything out there cause they might hurt themselves or others.

BTW sewer is fine you dont want one on septic because it will fill your septic tank fast.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I find one to be quite worth it if you prepare your own meals and have a good deal of organic waste like peels and shells if you don't have a yard to put a compost heap.  A compost heap in your yard would be the grateful recipient of such offerings.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand, my wife wanted one too.

If you can do the plumbing and hook up I guarantee you can do the electrical too, it's not difficult.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I understand, my wife wanted one too.

If you can do the plumbing and hook up I guarantee you can do the electrical too, it's not difficult.

Adding an outlet under the sink? And putting a switch for it in the wall?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Is your house old with galvanized (metal) drain pipes or newer with plastic ones? Old houses with galvanized lines are usually undersized  and half plugged up. Adding a disposal if asking for repeated stoppages.

You can get a fiber optic switch that you can mount on your sink or countertop that only requires a GFCI outlet under the sink.
Like this one
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have a basement under the sink you can run wires thru??

If you do it is like a 1 hour thing to add a switch controlled outlet.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Code will require a GFCI outlet, and I've seen a few with switches under the sink inside the cabinet.  Plumbing will be easy unless you have ABS all the way up to the sink baskets, but still the plumbing is not passed the average DIYer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#11]
We have one and use it regularly... however, my neighbor (who has a background in plumbing) is strongly opposed to them, calling them "a plumber's best friend" (implying that they are the source of a lot of clogs requiring the services of a plumber).

--Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one and ended up with what seems to be some kind of grease buildup or something (no idea what it was) all inside the drainage pipes that needed to be cleaned out with a sewer snake. Not a fun endeavor.

We never use ours anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top