Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2005 2:29:44 PM EDT
My father retired as MSGT (E7) from the United States Air Force 2045 Communications Group Andrews AFB was is last posting when he retired.  I was 16 when he did.

For a good couple of years I thought that all batteries where OD green.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Dad was in the Corps during Vietnam, but I wasn't born til the early 80's, so not me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
what does military brat mean,really? My dad was USMC for 22 years, retired as 1st Sgt. Went to EL Salvador in Force Recon in the 80's so he is a pretty hard motherfucker
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what does military brat mean,really? My dad was USMC for 22 years, retired as 1st Sgt. Went to EL Salvador in Force Recon in the 80's so he is a pretty hard motherfucker

You grew up on base, you went where the military put you and your folks.

Know a few people in germany who had children, sucks they are german citizens but both parents are military.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It means you where alive during your parent(s) served in the military. And grew up on or near a post.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Know a few people in germany who had children, sucks they are german citizens but both parents are military.

No they are considered US citizens until they are 18 at that point they can chose.  99.99% go for US unless one of their parents is not a citizen the they my go with that country and stay or go there to live.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No they are considered US citizens until they are 18 at that point they can chose.  99.99% go for US unless one of their parents is not a citizen the they my go with that country and stay or go there to live.

Than maybe im confused, was told by the parents they needed to do some shit once they get back in the states for the kids
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad is retired Air Force (Grand Forks AFB) and my step dad is also retired AF (Nellis AFB) and my FIL is retired AF (Kapaun Air Station)...  (I put my FIL in there because I lived with him for a while when things weren't going good at home)
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Than maybe im confused, was told by the parents they needed to do some shit once they get back in the states for the kids

Unless they've changed things in the last 28 years they might.  My youngest brother was born in Italy and my parents didn't do a thing when we came back to the states in 84'ish.  The one thing they did do was get an english version of his birth certififate since the original was in Italian.  When he turned 18 it was up to him to claim Italian citizenship. He didn't and due to the time I do not think he can anymore if he wanted to.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Both my parents retired USAF. Both E8's. Both in medical fields. Father retired at Kelly AFB, mother retired at Eglin AFB. Now they work for defense contractors in administrative and managerial capacities. My father works for a company that develops targeting systems for all kinds of platforms and mother works for Boeings AC130 support group.

You can take them out of the military but you cant take the military out of them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My father retired as MSGT (E7) from the United States Air Force 2045 Communications Group Andrews AFB was is last posting when he retired.  I was 16 when he did.

Air force brat here too. Got to spend 3 of my early teen years in Okinawa Japan. Untraveled people still bore me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Air force brat here too. Got to spend 3 of my early teen years in Okinawa Japan. Untraveled people still bore me.

1 year Griffith AFB, Rome, NY (Born)

3 years Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX

4 years in Vicenza, Italy.

4 years at 1 Virginia Strassa Apt #6 Wiesbaden West Germany (went to Hienelberg Elementry School, ran by US DOD)

4 years at 5157 B# Jones Circle, Andrews AFB Maryland

Any body been to any of these places.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Lackland AFB for 2 years.  Always good fun watching the new recruits marching everywhere on base.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Lackland AFB for 2 years.  Always good fun watching the new recruits marching everywhere on base.

We went to the Church the recruits us for Sunday Mass when I was 15 (visiting family in the area) and we didn't no it at the time when we walked in and sat down.  Well they all filed in and sat down all around us I think a lot of them didn't want to be there.  Well my father was running a bit late so when he arrived the pew we where at was full.  My father dressed in civies and looking his age was told to basicly pound sand by a recruit after my father asked him politly to move, so he could sit with his family.

Well my brothers and I muttered "Ahh shit here it comes" my mother was in a bit of shock at the rudeness of this prick.  My father then picked him up out of the pew by his coller and dragged him over a few of his class mates and gave him an ass chewing that would make any Marine proud.  The little shit didn't realize  what my father was.  After the ass chewing the recruit's senior instructor came over to talk with my father to see what the problem was.  And then he went on a tiraid of his own on the guy.

While they marched back to the barrack he was running around his platoon all the way back.

I later found out the instructor went through basic with my father the recruit had no idea what hit him.  He had extra PT for the next two weeks.

I loved it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Was born Army. Lived on bases until my father retired(medical).  It does have an effect.
In the first week of Kindergarden the teacher was having one of the kids count how many students were present. When I was called on, I got up and went-hup, 2 hup 3, hup 4 all the way around.
Parent teacher confrence followed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad retired as a Senior Chief after 23 years in the Navy.

My experiences living on Navy bases is one of the reasons I'm in the Air Force.  

ETA:  I get bored when I've lived in a town more than four years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Air Force blue baby blanket- still have it. Dad was an M/Sgt in the AP (now SP). His last assignment was guarding the BOMARCs in Minnesota in the early 1970s. He was in the USAF for 20 years.

I was born in Japan (Tachikawa AFB), raised in W. Germany (Bindlach, Augsburg, Hof a. d. Saale, etc. - went to German schools and universities [Freiburg, Bremen]), dad was stationed not only there, but we were also in VA, MD, DC, WV, PA, MN, and of course, MA. Got to see and do a lot, and always felt more aware of the world than my sheltered classmates in MA, where my dad's from.

I've traveled enough in my life, and generally don't like to be a tourist anymore. However, I almost went in the military after I got out of college. But I'd already experienced enough of military "chickensh*t" rules and silliness to last a lifetime by then.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, Army brat. Dad retired from Ft Bragg. I graduated from high school  in the Canal Zone. I am retired Army as well. SFC. Son graduated from a high school in Holland. Daughter graduated from HS in Great Britain. Daughter has a tour in the Navy with a combat hitch on the USS Truman (aircraft electricians mate). She is now in the Army National Guard headed back to the litter box as a helicopter maintenance type. She hopes to fly'em one day. We have 5 or 6 generations in the military, back to WWI. We also have a fella who was in the North Carolina Militia in the 1700s. Saw a pay slip for him. Hoohah!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I grew up on bases in-country(Pendleton, Lejune), does that count?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I belive so.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If one of your parents, be it biological, step or adopted then yes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Born at Madigan Army Hospital, Fort Lewis, Washington.

Go Army!

WBK
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
my Dad was a "company" man, does that count???
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know if I count.  My dad was a battalion XO, 49th Armored, Texas National Guard.  So we never moved anywhere, but when I was a kid, I got to play army with real tanks.  

Edit:  Never lived on a base.  I don't count.  Never mind.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That just means that you don't exist.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It means you owe your soul to the company store.....

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey... where's the "my dad was too much of a fucking criminal to be able to join even during Vietnam?" choice... or at least "see results"...

I'm voting Marine so don't count mine when you're checkin the results.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hey... where's the "my dad was too much of a fucking criminal to be able to join even during Vietnam?" choice... or at least "see results"...

I'm voting Marine so don't count mine when you're checkin the results.

You are still a brat of a different sort.

Besides 5 choices mess up the poll.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad retired as a Navy Captain.  Active in WWII and Korea, then went in the reserves, then reserve on active duty during VN, retired in 86.  He always said if it hadn't been for that darn court martial he woulda made admiral.  

Quoted:

Dad did that too, for 2 years in the early 60s, and hated his job with them.  Never said exactly what he did, but we lived just outside the beltway and he was home most of the time, so probably wasn't spooking around the globe.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Dad was in the korean  Warand in Vietnam in 65 and I think 68.Car was  always V-HIC-CAL!!!
I was born in Fairbanks, Alaska, although I don’t remember it.  After that, my family and I moved to military bases in Florida, California, the Panama Canal Zone, and eventually to Indiana.
The first place that I remember living in was Homestead Air Force base in Florida.  From there, we moved to different military bases in California.  We lived on the west coast of California for a period of six years.  
From California, my family was moved to the Panama Canal Zone.  My memories of the time that I lived in Panama included two very diverse classes of people.  There were the very rich, who lived in mansions surrounded by high stone walls.  In contrast, there were the very poor who lived in small tin shacks.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Dad was a FAC flying OV-10's in vietnam, then got into the U-2 program, retired in '95 as an O-6, mom was a nurse, retired in the 80's at O-4

ETA: both USAF
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, pretty much born an raised on Air Force bases until I was about 18 or so.

I knew what a "BX" and a "rec-center" was long before I knew of wal-mart and YMCA's

Here's my list of different homes.

England AFB---Louisiana
Lowry AFB/Buckley Field----Colorado
Ramstein AFB----Germany
Edwards AFB---Kalifornia
Barksdale AFB---Louisiana
Arnold Eng. & Development Center (USAF)---Tennessee

Dad retired at Senior MSGT about the time I graduated high school and now him and Mom have themselves a nice quiet home out in the Tn countryside with horses and lots of room to shoot.

It's nice to go "home" to see the folks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Dad was a fighter pilot in the USMC from 1981 till 2002. Retired 0-6. Lived in Yuma, Beuford, The Colony, and finally Trophy Club, TX.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Born and raised around AF bases.  My dad did 22yrs (67-89) including a year in Vietnam, retiring as a CMSgt.  I never lived in the same place for more than 4 yrs.  We even lived in Spain for 4 yrs.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm an Airforce brat. My Dad was a retired Air Force Major. Served 26 years. Was an E8 (master sargeant) when he recieved his commision(what you would call a mustang). He had 3 degrees (2 of which he earned in the service) and became an elementray teacher after he retired. He passed away March 11, of this year. I miss and think about him every day.

I was born in Germany, lived in New Mexico, Califorinia, Nebraska, Colorado and South Dakota, through out the time he was in.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I was born in Germany in 1963.  My Dad was in the unit that made the long drive to Berlin during the crisis.  He served under Col. Hackworth in Germany as an enlisted man and later went to OCS at Ft. Benning.  He was awarded the Patterson Award as the outsanding officer candidate for that year.  He has a 1911A1 Colt with silver presentation panels on the grips that Judge Patterson's widow presented to him.  He went on to become an Army aviator and flew Birddogs in Viet Nam in 1967 and 1968.  We was awarded the Bronze Star and the Air Medal while in Vietnam.  We were stationed  in Germany, Georgia, Alabama, Virginia and Colorado while I was groing up.  I was six when Dad left the active army and went into the reserves, so I really don't remember that much about living on military bases, just pieces here and there.  I really remember more frome the days of Dad's service in the army reserve and later the Missouri national guard.  I do know we owe his generation a debt of gratitude that is often paid to the WWII generation, but rarely to those who guarded our freedoms in the sixties and seventies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#36]
My Dad retired Lt. Colonel from the Air Force in 1989 worked mostly in Radar/Flight Control type stuff.

SE Asia Mid 60's (I was born 1965)

Germany...Wassekuppe/Fulda Post? 1967-1971

Syracuse, NY 1971-1973

New Brunswick, Canada (St. Margaret's radar station working with Canadians)  1973-1975

Mac Dill, AFB, Tampa  1975-1978  (almost went to to Whynot Minot)

Tinker AFB, Oklahoma 1978-1982 (Lots of AWACS overseas Whoohoo!)

Charleston AFB, SC 1982-1989  pushin pencils until retirement
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#37]
yep old man  was reg army till E7  and then retired out of the reserves  as a E9 in 1989
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Born in the Army hospital in Frankfurt, 1960. Lived in Fliegerhorst, Aschaffenburg, and Darmstadt until 1966.

Last place we lived was on Franklinstrasse at Lincon Seidlung, which was across the street from the Cambrai-Fritch Kaserne. (1965-1966).

Dad was in the 5th Corp and worked radar and other things for the Sargent and Honest John tac-nuke missiles.

I really liked Germany, and have fond memories of the place.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Stuggart, West Germany 1969....
Old man is retired full bird -  Army.

Was 23 before I had Lived more than 1/2 my life stateside.

7th, 8th, HS, and first time through college were an hour train ride south of A-Dam.
People say that explains alot about me....... Not sure how to take that!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Dad did 5 years in Navy before I came along, but he then joined the USAF and did 20 years repairing satellite tracking equipment.  We lived on both coasts as well as overseas.  Loring AFB, Maine.  Vandenberg AFB, California and Woomera, South Australia. Also Salt Lake City, UT; Cresent City, CA; and near Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. After retiring we moved to Colorado Springs and family still lives here today. Moving and traveling was a big part of growing up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#41]
My folks gave each kid a copy of this when we were born....
There are many versions floating around. The one I have framed is a little longer, it's been around a least 36 years....

What is an Army BRAT..

An Army brat comes in two sexes - boy and girl. Sometimes they come in pairs and in some cases more. Usually they are found traveling in packs, for an Army brat springs from a breed noted for for its' productiveness.

Now, an Army brat can be a source of delight, or in many cases despair. He is the acrobat who breaks his arm on the packing cases the day before the move. She is the tubby little invalid who just recovered from the mumps on the back seat of a station wagon without ever feeling sorry for herself. He is the toughest kid in the new neighborhood, that is until he has proven himself. She is the shy little miss timidly trying to explain her Japaneese robe and European type shoes back home. He is the boy, who, when the teacher says 'Our geography lesson today will be about Germany,' raises his hand to inform her that he was born there.

An Army brat looks frail, but he isn't. These kids are made of some pretty stern stuff. His life is plagued by the shot needle and he gets imunizations for diseases the other kids have never heard of. By the time he starts school, he has traveled more miles than many people do in a lifetime.

He accepts changes in stride because he kows that home is where the family is. Places change, friends depart, and the houses are different, but the Army brat is secure in the knowledge that God and family are constantly his. Early in life he learns that soldiers don't cry, so that when Daddy is overseas, this is the little lad who bravely tries to take over as head of the household. She is the tender little lady who creeps into her mothers bed to comfort and says,'A year isn't too long Mommy.' Then this same little lady stubbornly refuses to sleep in her own bed when Daddy comes home.

At retreat, you can spot an Army brat a mile away because he is the five year old who solomnly places his right hand over his left chest as the flag comes down. On memorial day she is the Brownie who plants the flag on a military grave with personal knowledge of a family friend who never came back. These brats are found all over the world playing with children of other worlds. They are often arrayed in bits of Army clothing or Mothers high heels. He is the General with stripes on his sleeve, and she is the angel of mercy sticking pins in her doll.

To create an Army brat, God combined the courage of a soldier, the love of a mother, and the faith of a child. To this he added the humor of a puppy, the fickleness of a playful breeze, and the cussedness of a First Sergeant.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#42]
My dad is still active duty Air Force. 23yrs and counting. He's a SMSGT. He teaches Joint Nuclear Command and Control. He will be moving soon to be a superintendent of the command post at Tinker AFB in February.

I've lived at:

Pensacola Naval Base, FL
Misawa AB Japan
Castle AFB, CA
Nellis AFB, NV
Grand Forks AFB, ND
Incirlik AB, Turkey
Offutt AFB, NE

I'm staying here well cause I'm 22 and don't live at home. Folks like I said will be going to Oklahoma City
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Sort of.  My grandfather was retired Army and lived close to Ft. Lewis.  So we went to the base a lot during the summers we visited the grandparents.  My grandad and  I fished a lot at American Lake. Trips to the PX, commisary and the pools.  

We would go through the gates and I always thought that was cool.  One time my car didnt have the stickers but I wear my hair pretty high and tight.  The guard must of thought I was an officer because he gave me a salute and waved me by.  The next time another guy stopped me and made me get a pass.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#44]
My Father was also an Air Force MSGT when he retired.

He was at one point a Weather Observer up in the Aleutian Islands and then later as a C-119 "Flying Boxcar" Cargo Loadmaster, which almost got him killed.

We all got dragged around from base to base, never had friends for more than two years as I grew up.

Then he retired and became an air traffic controler....and we got dragged around some more...

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#45]
USAF drag-brat here...

Was born at RAF Lakenheath, then on to Nellis AFB in NV, then Comox RCAF base on Van Couver Island, Canada.

Both my dad and stepdad used to be nuclear weapons techs, and buddies.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Dad is retired CSM.

Dad was born in Nevada
Mom was born in Georgia
Brother was born in Texas
Sister was born in New Hampshire
I was born in Denmark.

Around the world in 23 years.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#47]
What Branch?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ 24 ]  US Air Force                    [ 40.68% ]
[ 24 ]  US Army                           [ 40.68% ]
[ 7 ]  US Navy / Coast Gaurd     [ 11.86% ]
[ 4 ]  US Marines                         [ 6.78% ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Votes :: 59

Well it looks like the Army and Air Force now how to breed.  

I guess the Navy and Marines are busy playing with each other while at sea.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#48]
my dad retired TSGT flight engineer, me A1C Ammo troop
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Poll is fucked up (for me)......

My dad did a stint in the Corps (USMC) and then went Air Force .  As a result I got to live some places otherwise would still be foreign to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad was a Major General, USAF.

Started out as a B47 Pilot, was foreward deployed during the Cuban missile crisis.

FAC in Viet Nam flying 02s and ov 10s.

Then, on the MAC, C5 s to be exact.

CINC of 23d AF, PJs, ARRS, and the Air Commandos.

Then, a desk at that funy shaped building they share with the other services.    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top