Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Underarmour Cold Gear
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The polypropylene stuff is good.

Light and warm when layered under other clothing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Polyproplylene, in varying weights.  I have three weights--blue is lightweight, gray is double layer, funny "brown" (military-type as mentioned above) is "expedition" weight and too warm for most applications, but VERY nice.  Wal-mart has the first two for about $10/each piece  for blue and $15 for each piece in gray.  The heavy ones are available from Sportsmans Guide for about $20/each.  They have a balaclava for the heavy weight stuff.  Nothing will keep you warm like polypro.  

Big 'ol NW Ohio +1.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the UA.  But, it has to be mighty cold for me to wear the ColdGear.  I will wear the normal stuff under my pants and under a shirt and coat, and I'm usually good to go down to about 15 degrees.  Below that is when I'll break out the ColdGear.

Blake
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The polypropylene stuff is good.

Light and warm when layered under other clothing.

+ 1 on the Polypropylene, just make sure it's good & cold or you'll bake.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to hijack the thread but is it true the issue polypro top is not designed to be worn over cotton?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Just quit shaving your damn legs for the winter and you won't be so cold!  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread but is it true the issue polypro top is not designed to be worn over cotton?

If you wear it over cotton, it defeats the purpose of polypro which is to wick moisture off of you. Cotton absorbs moisture and then you have a wet shirt on your skin which means you are very cold.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Hawaii
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's really cold, silk first, poly fishnet next, then wool.

Just one layer and my ass gets cold when I sit on those chair lifts
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
North Face expedition weight.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I have heard good things about Patagonia Capilene too. Never tried it, I already have the UA cold gear.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
hmm intresting. But if you dont wear a brown T underneath when you unjip the heavy polypro top in bdu's your gonna be bear chested.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I sell a ton of underwear and I recommend this.
Cabelas Power Dry
In order for thermal underwear to be effective it must be worn as the base layer(against the skin)
ETA: Best bang for the buck and not claustrophobic like UnderArmour ColdGear if you don't like skin tight underwear.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just quit shaving your damn legs for the winter and you won't be so cold!  

theres not much hair to shave
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Cabelas Power Dry

You work at Cabelas?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have heard good things about Patagonia Capilene too. Never tried it, I already have the UA cold gear.

I own them, and they are fantastic. I'm wearing a Pantagonia Capilene shirt right now, with a flannel over it. I'm nice and toasty. When I'm outside working up a sweat, I don't even put a jacket on (it was 10deg today). Good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#20]
See if you can last 30 minutes in boxers. Have a friend time you. I recall when I lived in denver the big snow storm in the 90's boy did we have some fun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cabelas Power Dry

You work at Cabelas?

yep
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
army issue polypros

+1

Wear them under a wool shirt and trousers and you won't need anything else until it gets close to sub-zero F.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Polyproplylene, in varying weights.  I have three weights--blue is lightweight, gray is double layer, funny "brown" (military-type as mentioned above) is "expedition" weight and too warm for most applications, but VERY nice.  Wal-mart has the first two for about $10/each piece  for blue and $15 for each piece in gray.

I've got two pair of the Gray Walmart double layer ones- $13.97 each in Sporting goods

Very good for heavy activities, I sweat like crazy skiing in 20 degree temps the other day, and the weird ripply stuff seemed to channel moisture away as best as you can expect from cloth shaped a certain way.

Highly recommend anyone who does heavy activity in cold try a pair.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
hmm intresting. But if you dont wear a brown T underneath when you unjip the heavy polypro top in bdu's your gonna be bear chested.

Underarmor is selling t-shirts in issue brown. They'll wick the moisture away.

I have to wear long underwear on days like this due to the possibiltiy of having to work an accident scene or such, but I spend a lot of time in the barcolounger or surfing the net working in the station. I picked up a pair of Outlast brand long underwear, which were billed as keeping you warm, but allowing release of "excess" heat. I'm wearing those and one of the wally world knockoff underarmor mock turtlenecks (sold as 'Starter' brand) under a pair of uniform pants, a work shirt and a blauer uniform jacket. I'm not overheated in the station, but felt reasonably comfortable earlier today when I had to hang at an accident scene for ~30 minutes in 15 degree weather.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I sweat like crazy skiing in 20 degree temps the other day

your wearing too much stuff
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Any recycled pop bottle spun woven material works for me.

I just have to make sure it isn't too thick.

Over heating is the biggest concern.

I leave to the cold a little cool because I know with the slightest activity
I will be too hot.

GM
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Underarmour Cold Gear

BIG +1... I spent 20 hours hiking through the Montana mountains in below zero weather this weekend recovering a downed aircraft.  Trust me, Underarmour Cold Gear is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Underarmour Cold Gear

BIG +1... I spent 20 hours hiking through the Montana mountains in below zero weather this weekend recovering a downed aircraft.  Trust me, Underarmour Cold Gear is the only way to go.

You mind the tight fit? (peter pan might love it)
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#29]
To re-state some of the things already said here:

--Army issue polypro is too thick-- Army Times had an article recently about the new cold weather clothing developed as a result of complaints in Afghanistan--this too-thick polypro was warm enough when not moving...but once rucking/fighting, was too hot. Our guys would sweat, then quickly freeze in the mountain air. The new system has 7 different layers--yes, seven. The Army is watching the civilian world to learn what works....

--A few camping maxims--"Cotton Kills", and of course dress in layers. Cotton is good until it is wet--then you're screwed. Dress in as many layers as needed  to stay warm; synthetics and wool in various weights all work fine. Silk is an excellent next-to-skin layer. If camping, do not sleep in the same clothing you hiked in--even the tiniest amounts of residual moisture will cool and leave you shivering.

--Besides UA, there are cheaper alternatives for Army brown t-shirts (not as cheap as cotton, but recall note above)--that is, Campmor. This dealer sells a line of shirts by a company called Duofold. The shirts are polyester, and often come in a brown color close enough to Army brown not to get you any unwanted attention. They run about $7 usually.

ETA: I wear long underwear that is a wool/poly blend, and silk long underwear beneath that if needed. Poly t-shirts, poly running tights, poly fleece pants or sweaters are also available. Bibs and water/wind proof shell and I'm done. Not a stitch of cotton unless I'm walking around town.

Would also like to suggest packing along extra layers if you are sweating while doing an activity, rather than wearing them all at once.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:08:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Layers are good if you're going to be outdoors all day or for several days. But most of us are in and out of houses and cars frequently. The "all or nothing" - i.e. one really warm parka - approach is more practical for that.

And for our military folks: Poly melts and does tremendous skin damage. You don't want it next to your skin if fire and explosions are distinct possibilities. Silk or wool for at least the first layer might be good ideas. Merino wool doesn't itch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I start with the poly/wool blends, then microfleece, then wool. I use these layers for elk. I can sit for a spell and stay warm, them move when I want and take a layer off when I warm up. Plain poly hasn't really been warm enough for me. But I love the poly/wool blend.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:22:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Under Armour with out a doubt.

Just buy it bigger than you normally would so its not so tight.I buy 2x instead of X-lge.

Good Suff !
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Rodent- I've heard silk is good, does it wick perspiration out to the poly fishnet?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Union Suit with a customary 'Trap Door' feature NO?

I can take the Cold,,,,,,,but Wet and Cold,,,,that makes for some Unhappiness and I will B*tch
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I got some Patagonia expedition weight from REI. It's kinda thick, but it kept me nice an warm when I was in Finland.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own them, and they are fantastic. I'm wearing a Pantagonia Capilene shirt right now, with a flannel over it. I'm nice and toasty. When I'm outside working up a sweat, I don't even put a jacket on (it was 10deg today). Good stuff.

+1 on the Patagucci.  Great stuff, worth every penny.  I'd go silkweight for anything over 20F.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#37]
One word!!  Ulfrotte!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rodent- I've heard silk is good, does it wick perspiration out to the poly fishnet?

Silk is actually the best material out there but it has a problem with durability and laundry care. Also if you really want to split hairs it comes from China
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Another alternative is a wool/silk blend.
When Cabelas had some and we had it on sale and the stuff was flying off the shelves.
Warm, wicks and not scratchy at all but very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#40]
+1 underarmor and any kind of running tights!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I personally like the Superhero Underoos. In Batman or Aquaman.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#42]
underarmor

comes in green?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#43]
+1 on the GI Polypros, good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I have tried over a dozen different types of undergarments and find Zyflex works best, even better than UA.

Zyflex.com

Backpacker review
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top