Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 10:27:57 AM EDT

This questions comes from pure ignorance and curiosity.  Every once in a while truncated cones fail to feed when they hit the ramp and sometimes with other rounds too. I always wondered why ramps were so steep.  It would seem to this ignoramous that if the ramps were less steep, there would be less FTF.  

Can someone explain to my why they are so steep?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Its to keep the kids in wheelchairs off them!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Ever notice how steep an angle it is between the feed lips of the mag to the chamber?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If they were less steep, the'yd be longer. The ramp is just to keep the nose of the bullet moving in an upward direction towards the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
five2one: Can you be more specific?

The venerable Browning High Power P35 has pretty long feed ramp.  I think back then in 1935, John Browning wasn't concerned about feeding odd-ball bullet shapes because hollow points weren't widely available until mid-1970s or thereabouts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The venerable Browning High Power P35 has pretty long feed ramp.  I think back then in 1935, John Browning wasn't concerned about feeding odd-ball bullet shapes because hollow points weren't widely available until mid-1970s or thereabouts.

i have a para 14.45, a steyr m40, and a keltec p3at.   I don't  know how they compare to the browning, it just seemed to me that the ramps seemed really steep and that contributed to ftf.  I probably just need to polish my ramps.  

My question about ramps is more of a shoot the shit type question rather than a serious criticism.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If they were less steep, the'yd be longer. The ramp is just to keep the nose of the bullet moving in an upward direction towards the chamber.

True something would have to give - either the length of the gun or barrel.  The action would be longer too.  I was thinking that 1/3  inch could decrease ftf, but ftf prop doesn't happen enough to justify the less steep ramps.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have a para 14.45, a steyr m40, and a keltec p3at.   I don't  know how they compare to the browning, it just seemed to me that the ramps seemed really steep and that contributed to ftf.  I probably just need to polish my ramps.  

My question about ramps is more of a shoot the shit type question rather than a serious criticism.  

Not meant to be criticism, just for discussion purposes only.
The feedramp on a BHP is roughly 1/2" or, whereas on a modern Beretta 92F and Sig Saur 225, 226, 228/229 is around 1/8" or so and shallow.  The bullet is nearly horizontal and almost a straight shot into the chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top